LegacyGT.com

HID fogs: 55w vs 35w

Catalyst

Yea, I decided to run 35w 3000k in the fogs, just haven't gotten around to ordering them yet.

Question though. If I'm running 55w in the lows and 35w in the fogs, what type of relay wiring should I be running? Relays for both, relay for only the lows, or can you get away with nothing?

35W shouldn't need a relay. I just installed a kit in my 2009, when I pulled out the factory bulb it was 55W, so even with the surge current for starting it draws very close to the stock.

On a side note, I'm not super happy with the 3000K fogs. There's too much blue resulting in a vaguely sickly green color (as least during the day). If I were doing it over again, I'd probably run 3000K 55W with a Lamin-X overlay. Or for the 2009, take the simple route and get a 55W HIR2 bulb.

I'm about to order a kit for my fogs, 3000K, which one should I get? The 55w or 35w? I have an 06 LGT, which supposely are better fog lights.

Will I need a harness for the 55w? How about the 35w? I'm ordering tonight, so need an answer fast!

JP

55W HID in fog housing is not a good idea. Bulb will burn out kit fast because of the heat and you may case damage to the fog housing as well.

We don't recommended. In fact we always recommend to people to get 35W HID and not 55W. Some want 55W so we have it but there's a reason why all OEM HID are 35W and not 55W.

What about the new 50w setups? DL50's etc....

35W shouldn't need a relay. I just installed a kit in my 2009, when I pulled out the factory bulb it was 55W, so even with the surge current for starting it draws very close to the stock.

On a side note, I'm not super happy with the 3000K fogs. There's too much blue resulting in a vaguely sickly green color (as least during the day). If I were doing it over again, I'd probably run 3000K 55W with a Lamin-X overlay. Or for the 2009, take the simple route and get a 55W HIR2 bulb.

if your stock bulb is 55w, ok, dude,you can go with 55w 3k for your fog lights.. but for 55w to fog lights, it's better need a relay harness to hook uup the ballast and make it work steadily...

see this vvme 55w 3k hid YELLOW color....... different from 35w 3k hid color....

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp21/listpictures/P1000524.jpg

If anyone considering HIDs is near baltimore, I can meet up with you and you can see mine. I have 35w 5k lows and 3k fogs. It looks great and is plenty bright. I dont see a need to go to 55w, and my ballasts have been fine for over a year.

I have 55w in both my lows (4500k) and fogs (3000k). Used to have a harness on the lows up until a month ago, but recently got the DDM Raptor ballasts and did away with the harness. Been issue free.

if your stock bulb is 55w, ok, dude,you can go with 55w 3k for your fog lights.. but for 55w to fog lights, it's better need a relay harness to hook uup the ballast and make it work steadily...

see this vvme 55w 3k hid YELLOW color....... different from 35w 3k hid color....

*snip*

My fogs are nowhere near as yellow as yours. Do you have a film over your fogs or just the 3000k bulbs?

I have 55w in both my lows (4500k) and fogs (3000k). Used to have a harness on the lows up until a month ago, but recently got the DDM Raptor ballasts and did away with the harness. Been issue free.

My fogs are nowhere near as yellow as yours. Do you have a film over your fogs or just the 3000k bulbs?

ok , dude, can u post ur fog lights with 35w 3k bulbs here pls......i want to make a compare about the hid color....

I have 55w.

I just went outside and took a few photos with my phone so excuse the quality, but they should give you a decent idea of what they look like.

thanks so much , dude.. that 3k color is amazing, very bright with yellow tint...

The big issue is the start-up current required for HIDs. My 35W Raptors showed a start-up current of 6.2A, which would correspond to 72 W of load. Given that the stock wiring is rated for 55W, it seems to be fine handling the temporary excess load when starting the lights

Scaling to a 55W HID system, results in a 9.7A or a load of 116 W! The stock wiring might be able to handle that load, but you may get enough of a voltage drop that the ballast will shut-down.

Summary: 55W Halogen -> no relay for 35W HID, relay for 55W HID

I've ran 55w for over 2 years and had my lights opening up for various modifications over 10 times. Your statement is false in our situation.

What does happen though is depending on what type of "kit" you have some run at hotter temperatures and misplace the bulbs in the housings causing the chromed finish to bubble and possibly burn which in turn causes decreased output and of course a replacement having to be put in the housings place.

Archived