LegacyGT.com

HID fogs: 55w vs 35w

Catalyst

Drivers side fog light is out so naturally I'm looking at HID's now. Funny how that works :)

I've long since decided on 55w 5k HIDs from DDM for the lows, based on feedback saying the ballasts are beefier and better quality.

Now I'm stuck with what to do with the fogs, looking for opinions. Here's the deal. I run my fogs with my parking lights on as a form of DRL's, independently from the headlights. So they stay on 99% of the time the car is moving. I also run the fogs whenever my headlights are on.

Looking to go with 55w 3k for the fogs because of the better more reliable ballasts and because, as TSI has said in other posts, the 35W will not cause enough heat to self clear in bad conditions. But I have 2 main concerns.

1.) Is running 55w in both the lows and fogs going to be obnoxiously blinding and too much of a wall o' light? My squirrel finders are already filled and headlights aimed correctly.

2.) I've read 55W washes out the color a little (6k -> 5k). What color shift is there, if any, in a 55W 3k HID bulb? Will it still be that nice gold color?

I think I have read through every post that came up on all the searches I've done, lots of good info, but I didn't find anything specific to this. I know I'm probably way over analyzing this but...appreciate any and all input :)

"This is an adventure."

My low beams are 55w 4500k's and they still have a blueish tint, you should be good with atleast white with 3000k, if not yellow. The blinding factor may be dicey....haven't tried it. I do not recommend continuing the fogs as DRL's once they are HID.

1.) Is running 55w in both the lows and fogs going to be obnoxiously blinding and too much of a wall o' light? My squirrel finders are already filled and headlights aimed correctly.

I don't think it's so much an issue of light as it is it's too much heat for the small fog housings. 35W and you're fine. Go to 55 and it might be too much.

I don't think the fogs are bad at all, but my car came with the fogs aimed so low as to be useless. Mine were barely functional from the factory. I borrowed my dad's 09 LGT the other day and the factory aiming was even worse - I literally could not tell if they were even coming on. When I leaned all the way forward with my head against the windshield I could just barely see a bit of light coming from below when I toggled them on and off.

SOA took the whole "fogs should be aimed low" idea way too far. Fixing that makes a huge difference.

I just posted pretty much the same thing in another thread but here goes:

I have 5000k, 55w ddm slim ballasts for my fogs. They've been great. no heat issues. my drivers side just burned out. Not sure if it's the ballast or bulb yet, but it lasted a year and a half.

I ordered 3000k about a year ago cuz i wanted to try yellow fogs, but the bulbs i got from ddm were too long to fit with the cap on. Though, when i was fitting/testing them i wasn't happy with the color. They had a yellowish color, but they were still very white.

• 1 month later...

2.) I've read 55W washes out the color a little (6k -> 5k). What color shift is there, if any, in a 55W 3k HID bulb? Will it still be that nice gold color?

:)

for ur first question,,, it is better not run 55w hid in both low beam and fog beam if your places are not so dark cos 55w hids are more bright than 35w hid.... if you run it in both , may be you will blind others

as i check this hid kit for all Subaru models http://www.vvme.com/page.html?chapter=5&id=70

H3 55W HID can fit to some models' fog lights like Impreza and Legacy... i am not so sure which model of your car... you can check it...

55w kits tend to wash out some of the color of the HID bulb due to the light output .For example, a 55w 8000k will look similar in color to a 35w 6000k kit....

So maybe u can choose 43k or 5k 55w for fog lights...

I don't think the fogs are bad at all, but my car came with the fogs aimed so low as to be useless. Mine were barely functional from the factory. I borrowed my dad's 09 LGT the other day and the factory aiming was even worse - I literally could not tell if they were even coming on. When I leaned all the way forward with my head against the windshield I could just barely see a bit of light coming from below when I toggled them on and off.

You have to adjust the aim upwards. I have an 08 w/ oem halogen fog bulb and its at the max height it can be aimed. (I did independent fog light mod) I can now see the fog lights shine, they shine are about 1-2" higher then the hood scoop when I sit all the way back (chair moved all the way back, and the seat back is straight up)

When I turn the fogs on they dont make a difference with low beam on (in normal conditions) I can turn off the low beams and drive around with the fogs on, they provide enough light down low but no 'throw'/distance

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

55W HID in fog housing is not a good idea. Bulb will burn out kit fast because of the heat and you may case damage to the fog housing as well.

We don't recommended. In fact we always recommend to people to get 35W HID and not 55W. Some want 55W so we have it but there's a reason why all OEM HID are 35W and not 55W.

Yea, I decided to run 35w 3000k in the fogs, just haven't gotten around to ordering them yet.

Question though. If I'm running 55w in the lows and 35w in the fogs, what type of relay wiring should I be running? Relays for both, relay for only the lows, or can you get away with nothing?

"This is an adventure."

Yea, I decided to run 35w 3000k in the fogs, just haven't gotten around to ordering them yet.

Question though. If I'm running 55w in the lows and 35w in the fogs, what type of relay wiring should I be running? Relays for both, relay for only the lows, or can you get away with nothing?

in my personla idea, it's better to choose H7 HID kit with relay harness to hook up the ballast but for fog lights 35w, no need for relay harness, it is plug-and-play....

Archived