LegacyGT.com

Sirius/XM Module $170 Shipped --- eBay!!

I been looking for the sirius module for my '09 legacy and didn't want to pay retail. The cheapest i found it was $320. Lastweek i jumped on ebay and found this deal from a subaru dealership so i jumped on it. I received the kit today and hope to have it installed tomorrow if i can find the small round or square antenna locally so i can mount it in the 3rd brake light.

The Tribeca and Legacy use the same module.

Feel free to move this if it isn't allowed to be posted in here.

EDIT: Seller raised price to $320

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010-SUBARU-TRIBECA-SATELLITE-RADIO-XM-SIRIUS-/300442504710

I just don't really want to pay for the service.

I was of the same mindset...about 5 years ago, I got a cheap SIRIUS receiver for Christmas...and now I'll NEVER go back to listening to "normal" radio.

Either SIRIUS or XM are worth their weight in gold!

^ agreed, endless music choices with no commercials and an actual mix of music, not the same popular songs over and over...

as for the install, it's fairly easy. Just remove the stereo (how to can be found in audio forum) and it basically bolts on and wires right in. the car is prewired for the antenna. If it's a complete oem kit, you'll get a square antenna that sticks to the windshield on the passenger side (about 3"x3"). There is then a small connector that can be found by the mirror to tap that antenna into. IMO its not very noticable at all, others find it attrocious.

I not really sure that any other antenna would work, as I'm not sure if the oem receiver has a seperate plug for an antenna or if it's built into the harness, even then I am fairly sure the plug is different than an XM aftermarket antenna plug. But it may just be the fitting and something a little dremmelling can fix....

^ yep that's it, although Subaru suggests mounting it a little further away from the corner, I assume to avoid interference, mine has about a 1" gap all around, but nonetheless you can't see it from outside and it's hardly noticable inside.

I used to have an aftermarket XM player in my impreza with the magnet antenna and don't notice a bit of difference in reception. Still drops in the same places. I like the fact that there are no external antennae on the 4th gen

What a pain in the ass to install. ***If you have manual a/c and heater controls, let the dealer install it***

I was quoted $90 from the dealership for the install and i would of had him do it if i knew better.

It took me almost 3 hours to do this install. The antenna is on the rear deck as seen in pic. I will look for some light tan fabric tape to cover the wire. I could of hidden the antenna better but i was getting impatient and wanted it done.

While i was trying it out i came across this song and thought it was appropriate.

Off Topic: Nat Geo Channel is showing how the Bugatti Veyron is made

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i213/smw72/2010-09-09_19-14-21_676.jpg

Pic of antenna from inside the car. My back window is tinted 20% and hard to see.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i213/smw72/2010-09-09_19-44-06_301.jpg

^ so I guess you CAN us a small antenna. As for the routing.... I would suggest removing the 3rd tail light, there are a few holes under there to snake wires through, then either hide it under the light, or just pop the wire out underneath it.

As for the install, with Auto climate it's a breeze. The most time consuming part is emptying your console and removing all of that. the stereo and climate comes out in one piece (which sucks if you want to upgrade your stereo)

Check out the Audio sub-forum and do a search for stereo install walkthroughs, should be plenty there.

The biggest "trick" IMO is that the two pieces of plastic wood trim around the stereo pop right off, just pull gently and evenly. then you can see all the screws.

I just noticed the OP has an STI?? If the stereo is any similar to my '05 Impreza, that's even easier to get into. A little less room behind there, but not too much trouble, and that was with manual climate control.

I can say to anyone who considers satellite radio...it is WELL worth the money. I have had it in 4 of my vehicles since about 2001. In my Outback, I have the Kenwood DD DVD player, and the Sirius module mounted inside my dash. The antenna travels along the headliner and passes through the moulding around the hatch, and rests in the center of the roof in the back of the car. Barely noticeable. The Sirius antenna is a little more finicky about it's view to the sky than my integrated GPS antenna, which is mounted inside the dashboard, completely out of sight. The only time I ever lose reception to either one is in heavy tree cover, a canopy at a gas station, or parking garage.

The small antennas do work. The connector on the antenna is slightly larger than the connection on the module. The module connector housing cracked when i connected the antenna but the connection is very strong.

The reception is very good in the mornings but crap in the late afternoon/evening. I may throw it on the outside of the trunk too see if it helps.

XM and Sirius merged, however their channel lineups still differ.

For the most part you can get all the channels on either, they are just on differenct channels (kinda like cable providers) There are SOME channels that are exclusive to XM and vice versa, but for a little extra you can get a "Best Of Sirius/XM" and it includes all the channels both have to offer.

IMO XM's layout for the stations is preferable, for example, 6-9 are decades (6=60's, 9=90's) then the channels are blocked off by category 10-19 is country, 20-20 is Pop.... etc

I have never had Sirius, so I can't really remark on their lineup, but I have browsed it a couple times and it seems to be more spread out.....

As for reception, I only lose if I am driving on a road cut into a steep hill on the eastern side, or thick dense tree coverage, a very few double overpasses. (and of course garages/gas stations) But I live in WV and drive many back country roads and through some thick hills and tree coverage and very seldom lose reception. When I lived in NC, it was few and far between that I would lose coverage.

As for the price being too good to be true, I think Subaru is having trouble pushing these as an aftermarket deal. Preinstalled it's great, but for $150 or less you can get a much more functional aftermarket unit. I have had both, and while I do like the sleek factory style I have, I bought my Fiance one for her Hyundai for Christmas that records, can pause and shows 4 lines of display in color, as well as allowing you to "surf" through other channels to see whats playing while listening to your current selection. Plus it has a remote. Which at first I thought was dumb for a car stereo, but depending where you mount it, it can make driving much safer and easier. The multi line display and surfing are two things I miss from my old aftermerket unit.

^ thanks for that info. I had XM a few years back and also enjoyed the easy station layouts. As for getting the OEM, I just like keeping everything factory without any obvious add-ons. It wont be removed from the car ever so it looks like it may be a good deal for me. I PMed the seller on ebay a question but have yet to hear back from him.

OP - how did you when ordering show you wanted the xm or sirius?

• 2 weeks later...

update:

i ordered, received and installed my unit. seller was good, shipping was fast and it got installed fairly easily. i was in a garage but one thing that seemed odd is it seems like you cant directly enter stations since there are not enough numeric keys. im gonna check out the manual but i hope you dont have to scroll through all 200+ stations.

update:

i ordered, received and installed my unit. seller was good, shipping was fast and it got installed fairly easily. i was in a garage but one thing that seemed odd is it seems like you cant directly enter stations since there are not enough numeric keys. im gonna check out the manual but i hope you dont have to scroll through all 200+ stations.

I had sirius on my '07 sti and never tried inputting the station w/the buttons, only scrolled.

Just tried it in the legacy and could only change stations by scrolling. I only listen to 6 stations so i don't venture into the rest of the line-up.

I moved the antenna to the very back of the rear deck for better reception, but not the best.

as for tuning stations....

You cannot directly tune to a station. PITA I know. But you can use your up/down arrows to jump from category to category in XM (i.e. decades to country to pop to chrisitian to rock... etc) this helps get to the higher numbers then you scroll left to right to get to the exact channel. Of course this is not the ideal set up but it works at least.

In the past I have programmed my 3rd set of channels to jump to groups I tend to tune toe (1=teens, 2=rock, 3=sports etc) but I got tired of reprogramming anytime I unhooked my battery. And honestly I've don't listen to more than 10 channels so the presets work for me :lol:

Archived