LegacyGT.com

JDM Headlight install

can someone please tell me how's the layout on the OEM 2nd LGT's headlight female connector? Like which one is the power, low beam, and high beam. I kinda have an idea, but i have heard different things online.

I just want to confirm it before i wire it. Thanks guys.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i use a volt meter and confirm the connection today, it's different than the one said on SL-i forum, on the forum, they have center is power, left is high beam, and right is low beam.

The connector i check is left is power, center is low beam, right is high beam.

so am i wrong?

• 7 months later...

Do they still carry those pig tail harnesses at CT or PartSource?

I'm getting my JDMs shipped to me and I'd like to just plug into the existing stock plug on my 98 LGT.

I also got this from another member - it's from the http://autolumination.com/headlights.htm site.

I'm assuming it's the one in the top right corner 9007 PX29t HB5 Male.

I'll see if I can find out at PS or CT.

1394694643_Screenshot2012-01-13at3_11_46PM.thumb.png.93b79724b86375b7f2ef54569d118e3c.png

hmm, has anyone ever tried to put washers behind the reflector to focus the beam a tad better? might be worth a try when i finally get around to opening mine up.

or maybe finding a clear lens that will fit? hate to go to all the trouble of retrofitting if i can make the OEM stuff work.

washers wont work. the 3" ZKW lens from theretrofitsource.com will work with proper spacing. just so you know the performance isnt worth the upgrade vs a retrofit

-B

If you don't want to cut the wires and want to keep the existing plug can't you cut the plug from the old fogs and redo the plug on the new lights? That way you could plug and play. Get some heatshrink too if you want the cable to stay tidy xD

washers wont work. the 3" ZKW lens from theretrofitsource.com will work with proper spacing. just so you know the performance isnt worth the upgrade vs a retrofit

-B

yeah, I have pretty much decided that I am eventually going to design and build a custom plate to adapt something like BMW Bi-Xenon or maybe just a standard, higher quality projector to use the OEM adjustment system. from looking at it, it shouldn't be too complicated.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys. Thanks for this thread as well as the link to the SI thread.

I finally had enough of my cloudy USDM lights and got a set of JDMs with harnesses and bulbs all working, and installed them the other day.

I got my JDM's installed yesterday and it took some tracing of the wires to the right bulbs but it's pretty easy.

My JDMs had the harness, lucky for me, since this really simplifies wiring. You only have to deal with 4 leads instead of the entire assembly.

But I had messed up the wiring on my first attempt, and then I took it apart and traced all the wires to figure out which lead was low beam, which were high beam and which was the city.

I used the same 3 wire pigtail harness and hooked up the power, low and high beam leads.

Kept everything plug and play so if I needed to go back to my old USDMs (which were so cloudy, I doubt I would reinstall them) I could do that. Except for the signal light which on the JDMs is a 2 wire harness on the USDM it's a 3 wire. Black and white/colour strip are the flasher, red is for the parking light.

I did what some others did and wired this red wire from the parking light to the LED city light lead on the JDM harness.

I still need to adjust the high beam to point more to the right. I only adjusted the projector lights.

I'll probably take out the fogs and try to clean them up with an aftermarket product to make them clear again.

Anyone got any suggestions?

It looks awesome at night.

IMG_5357.thumb.jpg.070277670d23c5ef09a6cc5724635afb.jpg

IMG_5359.thumb.jpg.5b85240192f450bf36e4f60ab24f501c.jpg

Looks great, nice job!

BTW I'm officially going to be making a limited production run of USDM-to-JDM headlight adapter harnesses for simple plug-and-play installation of JDM lights. Like the prototypes I sold here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-wa-pdx-custom-usdm-jdm-headlight-plug-n-play-186706.html

They should be available in a few weeks.

I'll probably take out the fogs and try to clean them up with an aftermarket product to make them clear again.

Anyone got any suggestions?

The turtle head lights restoration stuff looks good, although here the restoration products cost more than getting a shop to do the clearing for you rofl.

I ended up rewiring the signal lights to use the USDM 2 filament harness. This way the marker lights are lit when it's night time, as well as the city lights. I prefer this look better. It looked like something was missing using the JDM single filament bulbs. Could have saved myself this extra work if I had paid more attention to the guide. But I didn't realize it until after I had spliced the JDM harness.

I also went ahead and tried cleaning up my fog lights using the Turtle Wax head light restoration I had bought to just to try it and it turned out pretty good. I would recommend it. I had bought similar kits before, but I stored it in the garage so the stuff froze and basically you use it once and throw it out, cuz the next time you use it will be a long time later. By that time the stuff has not as good.

The Turtle Wax kit is a 6 step process. You need to use a lot of elbow grease. Basically you're sanding the surface of your lens.

There's 4 grades of abrasive pads and they get finer and finer with every step.

The last 2 steps you use the clarifying solution that you put on to a haze and then buff off and then you apply a sealant wetnap cloth that's included with the kit. It's supposed to prevent yellowing after you restore the lens clarity.

Here's how my lights were before.

And a pic of them after I used the kit.

IMG_5348.thumb.jpg.1f53e976b014864292bd8c9b8cc3512e.jpg

IMG_5371.thumb.jpg.74730761128ef347a6a1ad7eaa9f0e5f.jpg

Looks great, nice job!

BTW I'm officially going to be making a limited production run of USDM-to-JDM headlight adapter harnesses for simple plug-and-play installation of JDM lights. Like the prototypes I sold here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-wa-pdx-custom-usdm-jdm-headlight-plug-n-play-186706.html

They should be available in a few weeks.

The pig tails I used were very handy. If I had known about these I would have used them. What about the connector from the USDM signal light RED wire to the JDM City light. is that part of the kit?

The pig tails I used were very handy. If I had known about these I would have used them. What about the connector from the USDM signal light RED wire to the JDM City light. is that part of the kit?

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=796&pictureid=6822

looks like its on there

Yes, it's the blue wire with the red disconnect. In fact, each of the wire colors on my harnesses match those on the JDM lights. Even though the conversion harnesses are plug-and-play, I liked the idea of removing any question of which wire serves what purpose.

Yes, it's the blue wire with the red disconnect. In fact, each of the wire colors on my harnesses match those on the JDM lights. Even though the conversion harnesses are plug-and-play, I liked the idea of removing any question of which wire serves what purpose.

I meant the quick connect that goes on the signal light red wire that will connect up to your harness city lite wire.

:eek:

I meant the quick connect that goes on the signal light red wire that will connect up to your harness city lite wire.

:eek:

On my wife's car I used a Scotchlok to tap into the red wire of the turn signal, although Scotchlok taps are not included with the harness.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/IMG_3344.jpg

What one can do without the taps, however, is to snip the red wire of the turn signal harness between the bulb and the loom where the wire comes out of the fender, strip 1/4" of insulation away on each side of the snip, twist the exposed wires together and crimp them into the included insulated disconnect. This is the only part of the harness which is not possible to make plug-and-play. I'm happy to hear other ideas on this, however.

On my wife's car I used a Scotchlok to tap into the red wire of the turn signal, although Scotchlok taps are not included with the harness.

That's what I meant. Where can you get those Scotchlok taps?

And yes, that's the only non-plug and play part of the install.

But it's all good. Not difficult at all to solder a connection to.

Archived