LegacyGT.com

JDM Headlight install

The incandescent bulbs look yellow next to my LEDs. The LED bulb that came in the lights matches the LED strip color.

I just switched to tapatalk to view the pic you posted. Did you install that LED strip yourself? That looks badass!

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep, since I opened them up to do the right-hand to left-hand drive conversion took advantage to put in the LED strip. Home depot has small green handled spring clapms on sale for .89 - I used about 15 to hold the LED strip in place while the silicone glue dried overnight. After looking at a couple of different setups decided to wire them in to turn on with the low beams.

I really like how that looks. I'm not sure my outback is worth it though... Lol it's got a couple nasty dings. The wheels need some paint badly and it needs some tint. Wheels and tint are scheduled for next summer.

How low has everyone gotten these headlights for?

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Did you get yours from DJ justin? The guy I got them from wasnt making any money just doing for lgt members. I wish I would have jumped on more stuff but he came back to the states before I got another order in.

wow, I just found the thread... I'm a month late. I even remember seeing the title and never thought to open it up to see... I've been considering picking up the headlights for a couple months now too, but didn't make it a priority as I haven't been driving the outback much. It's my wife's car and she doesn't' do much night driving. My LHS had projectors with HIDs so my commute through back roads at night was always well lit. It's only been the last few weeks since I sold my LHS and I've been driving her outback that I've decided to get the headlights now instead of waiting. damn, can't believe this...

Ya it sucks DJ is no longer doing it. I want to take a trip over there soon and I may look into pull a ton of parts and trying to get a crate to ship them back in if it is reasonable. Probably wont happen for a while.

Found the post on sl-i.net - THANKS.

Unfortuantely no plugs on the JDM lights so will have to find one to mate with the usdm plug - car is in the shop right now so no access to examine the electrics. Want to avoid cutting the cars harness if possible.

I don't know what "drls" is..

F***ing slack c**t's. I never ever sold any lights without their plugs, i went out of my way on several occasions to get the plugs actually. And people always we like "cheaper on ebay", lol...

Er.. um. Rant over sorry. So how are they treating yah?

F***ing slack c**t's. I never ever sold any lights without their plugs, i went out of my way on several occasions to get the plugs actually. And people always we like "cheaper on ebay", lol...

When I first got my white car I tried getting them from you because of the good reviews I heard. I heard bad things about buying off ebay thats why I found someone private to ship them to me. I dont understand why they cant send the plugs, its not like they will be used. I bet when they scrap the car they are melted anyway.

• 5 months later...

When I first got my white car I tried getting them from you because of the good reviews I heard. I heard bad things about buying off ebay thats why I found someone private to ship them to me. I dont understand why they cant send the plugs, its not like they will be used. I bet when they scrap the car they are melted anyway.

Yeah, what is the deal with those JDM connectors? My JDM projectors arrived in fantastic shape, but the set only included ONE pigtail plug, not both. Hard to build a pair of 9007-to-JDM adapter harnesses without both the JDM plug connectors. Sounds like others have been shipped to with only one plug as well. Who knows how and where to get more of these 4-conductor female connectors?? I used insulated slide connectors directly on the JDM headlights, but they are not perfectly shielded from the elements and will eventually corrode, even with a coating of dielectric grease.

you might just have to splice the 9004 adapter directly into the JDM wiring. best way is to solder the joints and heat shrink over them.

Indeed.

Would the 2nd-gen LGT also benefit from headlight relay harnesses (http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html )? I understand there is already a headlight relay under the hood, so would this be redundant?

Also, can anyone direct me to a link describing how to change the JDM projector shielding from RHD to LHD application? I have heard this mentioned throughout many threads I've read on projector installs, but have yet to see it on a 2nd-gen JDM headlight. At this time I am using filament bulbs, not HIDs. Osram Silverstar H1 (European, not US Sylvania Silverstars) on the projectors, plus the H3 bulbs that came with the JDM housings for high-beam. Conversions - for HID, not filament bulbs - are shown here on a 4th-gen LGT projector: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/jdm-hid-headlight-conversion-walkthrough-113094.html and on a 2nd-gen JDM projector: http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=6311

hmm, has anyone ever tried to put washers behind the reflector to focus the beam a tad better? might be worth a try when i finally get around to opening mine up.

or maybe finding a clear lens that will fit? hate to go to all the trouble of retrofitting if i can make the OEM stuff work.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived