LegacyGT.com

Might be moving to MD....

Hanger

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sucks... Verizon is lagging to ship out our dsl kit. I'll fly back on Monday and it sucks that my gf will still be Internet-less lol.

I tried swingng by the meet on Friday, but the parking was packed and I only saw to subarus in the lot, I had to rush to return my rental so sorry I couldn't stop by. But I've been enjoying the fall foliage and the cool weather.

The neiborhood is quiet, though I do wish there would be more asians around here lol. We bought our impreza at fitzgerald Subaru, which is only 5 min down the street.

I still need some time to get use to the roads around here. If I listen to my garmin, I'm gonna be driving n circles everyday lol

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

Hanger.....a Tip: Grab yourself an ADC map (they sell them at books storms sometimes, 7-11, and costco from time to time....best map in the country). Looking through a large format map book will help you understand the roads better than a time GPS unit or even a laptop.

Asian wise, Rockville is the place to be. However....please don't be one of those Asians that has to be around Asians only (I'm sure you not, just over-emphasising to make the point). DC is a very open and accepting of difference races, ethnic groups, etc. It is nothing like the segregation that occurs in Cali. DC is far superior to Cali in that regard.

And yes...the roads are fine...especially upcounty where you are. Down county and DC spots can be bad...but hey...whats to be expected in a city...right.

Hanger.....a Tip: Grab yourself an ADC map (they sell them at books storms sometimes, 7-11, and costco from time to time....best map in the country). Looking through a large format map book will help you understand the roads better than a time GPS unit or even a laptop.

Asian wise, Rockville is the place to be. However....please don't be one of those Asians that has to be around Asians only (I'm sure you not, just over-emphasising to make the point). DC is a very open and accepting of difference races, ethnic groups, etc. It is nothing like the segregation that occurs in Cali. DC is far superior to Cali in that regard.

And yes...the roads are fine...especially upcounty where you are. Down county and DC spots can be bad...but hey...whats to be expected in a city...right.

Yea, that sounds like a great idea. I really need to pick up a map of the area so i get a general idea of how to get around. Because I am very confused about the freeway system over there. Express and Local lanes and man, the exit signs are really a lot to read lol. I think i may even need newer glasses :eek:

○ ○ ○

May i suggest you go out and drive. MD is NOT that hard. You just have to look at it the right way. DC/Baltimore beltways. and then the roads that connect those and indiviually lead into each city..

ANyone down for a show Hanger MD cruise? Just go out and drive for a solid day? start in MoCo. go all the way around DC on the beltway, maybe take 295 or 395 in and then a different route out?

Fidning your way aroudn for work and what not I would use Google maps a LOT. Their drag and drop feature for routing with estimated times is a great way to learn alternate routes around a problem area.

And there are two Panera Breads close. The closest is in the Germantown Town Center (Off Rt. 118), There is another one down Rt. 355 just south and west (to the right) past Montgomery Village Avenue off Perry Parkway (Gaithersburg Square shopping ctr).

LOL the comment about all the signs. I actually criticize VA for not having enough signs and saying Maryland (while not perfect) does a decent job at signage.

I bet you hate our stop lights, and highway ramps. Our stop light system here is not controlled by a central computer. The cycles are long and there is a 2 to 5 second pause between red to green cycles. Not so in DC, but in Monkey County (my name for Montgomery....so named because of the low IQ and evolutionary stumped politicians that are in power here). Unlike many CA highways, we don't have traffic lights at on ramps for the interstates. Oh....and speaking of interstates, we tend to say I (and insert highway name here) with the exception of the beltway. I know in may places in Cally, they substitute the "I" part with the word "The" . In local context it would be 'The two-seventy' or 'The ninety-five'. US Routes usually just are described as 'route xx' with the exception of US-1. Major roads often are talked about by their routes...like Rt. 355 (which is know from south to north as Wisconsin Ave (DC/Bethesda); Rockville Pike (n.Bethesda, Kensington/WhiteFlint, lower Rockville/Twinbrook); Hunderford Dr (downtown Rockville) S. Frederick Road (upper Rockville); N. Frederick Ave. (Gaithersburg) N. Frederick Road (n. Gaithersburg/Germantown/Clarksburg/Hyattstown). Urbana Pike (once you cross into Frederick County...yeah...I know it's stupid); and finally S & N Market street in downtown Frederick (the city of)). This is common...to have a crazy number of names for one route. Of course there are all kinds of exceptions to rules.

No, it isn't simple, at times in won't make sense, but in many ways it is due to the fact that the east coast began development prior to cars and were not designed for such. Like Europe, but nearly comparative age wise, many things had to be modified afterwards.

I will say that other than the drivers.. Md is NOT hard to get around. Traffic and moronic assholes in oversized SUVs and overpriced german sedans not withstanding.

The road system is fairly easy to get down depending on the individual city. And it is a basic rules type of area. Having been to the Miluakees and other places where every on ramp has a stop light on it and all sorts of rules about engine brakeing and shit.... Ill take MD over most.

I will say that other than the drivers.. Md is NOT hard to get around. Traffic and moronic assholes in oversized SUVs and overpriced german sedans not withstanding.

The road system is fairly easy to get down depending on the individual city. And it is a basic rules type of area. Having been to the Miluakees and other places where every on ramp has a stop light on it and all sorts of rules about engine brakeing and shit.... Ill take MD over most.

Haha! Quoted for truth.

Virginia not too far behind. I would say New Jersey's roads and jug handles are the worst I've been on so far. Ugh... Jersey...

HAHA....YUP...NO MORE EARTH QUAKES. But we do get EPIC snowfalls in city areas (yeah...nothing like the rockies, but they're empty). We get a tornado or two from time to time.

yea i heard from the Subaru lady, 3 storms back to back from Dec to Feb

○ ○ ○

Its still NOT that bad. I mean go into the north more and its a LOT worse. Problem here isnt the amount of snow(normally not much at all) its the locals inability to alter their driving habits to suit the situation!

I happen to liek MD for the mixture we get... Hot summers... Cold snowy winters... and IMO some of the best Indian summers(late fall warm weeks) ive encountered.

Archived