LegacyGT.com

Cell phone law in MD

LegacyGTBiggie

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this law is retarded.

who considers it dangerous to drive with a phone in your hand, but deems it perfectly safe if the phone is attached to your head?

it's not the "holding the phone" that detracts from safe driving, it's the conversation itself.

anyone heard of the laws that limit young drivers from driving with other teens in the car? that's not because they're holding hands, it's because interacting with a friend is a DISTRACTION. anyone who doesn't see/understand this is a moron.

how about the people who use GPS systems. You can always tell who they are. wait until you hit a split in a road/highway. They are the ones making drastic moves from one side to the other about a mile before hand. Even if 2 of 4 lanes go to either direction they will "stay to the left" for that mile while doing 15 under.

Distractions to driving is the problem. And I agree, like yelling at your 14th wellfare child about ho wmany slices of bread they are allowed to use before you beat them to a pulp is going to be any less of a distraction through a headset!

this law is retarded.

who considers it dangerous to drive with a phone in your hand, but deems it perfectly safe if the phone is attached to your head?

Nobody. I would also hope nobody would think it's NOT dangerous to do either. With that said, only one of those scenarios is even remotely enforceable.

Thats due to the TYPE of conversation they have!

Typical Male Convo:

Hey How are ya?

Cool cool.

Hey im heading home ill hit you up later.

or

Hey lets meet at _____ see you there!

DONE over finished!

Now I dont think there is enough space on this page to even paraphrase for most conversations women have while driving. But needless to say they get into who is fuckign who or who did what to them or to someone else that they have WAY too much of an opinion on. I think we shoudl come up with a way to make cellphones make women sterile! Keep these retards from making MORE retards!

Nobody. I would also hope nobody would think it's NOT dangerous to do either. With that said, only one of those scenarios is even remotely enforceable.

I disagree. If I, as a normal driver, can easily pinpoint other drivers who are a risk because they're on the phone, why can't traffic officers?

And if you use the argument that they'll "just hang up or put the phone down when they see a cop" then I have to ask you this: If they are paying enough attention to see the cop before he sees them on the phone, then aren't they paying enough attention to the road to be left alone?

Ive driven in Wisconsin(miluaukee) and all I can say phones are the least of your worries. Talk about imbred stoopidity at large. OMG driving there was scary!!!! And I drive in DC everyday!

Stop lights on entrance ramps!

A average Blood alcohol content of like.06 at 9am and .10 after noon!

I was afraid for my life driving up there!

I disagree. If I, as a normal driver, can easily pinpoint other drivers who are a risk because they're on the phone, why can't traffic officers?

Spotting them and making a citation stick are very different things. Ultimately this stuff has to get by a judge to have any effect.

...they'll "just hang up or put the phone down when they see a cop"

There's nothing to put down when using a bluetooth headset or bluetooth enabled car. Burden of proof is on the officer....

Even the current incarnation is difficult to enforce without getting a subpoena for the phone records. At least the officer can say the unmistakably saw the driver actively using the device if the driver was using the handset. Without seeing it themselves, it's difficult if not impossible to "prove" if the driver was actually engaged with the device.

That's a stickier question. It's supposed to be a bit of both. The motive behind the THREAT of conviction for breaking any law at all is theoretically to persuade people to think twice about breaking said law. Carry a big stick, etc, etc. For a more practical take on actual motives for traffic laws, have a look at the traffic camera thread...

As pertains to cell phone laws, there's no real reason for your average oblivious douchenozzle to bother putting the cell phone down if they know there's no way in hell it will be actively enforced. We all know there are plenty of laws broken every day that no remotely sane officer is going to bother taking the time to cite when they know it's just going to result in harassing the person being cited, followed by a slew of paperwork and court dates that are guaranteed to result in favor of perpetrator. Consequence free rules just don't have much effect for those who disagree with the rules in question.

As to the point about hand holding a cell phone versus not holding a cell phone being the same I disagree with.

I've been chasing storms, operating radios and cell phones for years. Holding a cell phone is tons more dangerous than going to a head set or other no hands device. I have at times use the cell in hand while on the highway, but exclusively on empty highways because I know that drifting is possible and reaction time is significantly slowed. While I agree (as I have experienced) that even with hands free operation, the distraction of a call can be dangerous, it is far from the same as having a cell phone in hand.

Bottomline: just limit your time on the phone period! Your life will not end if you ask some if you can call them back in a few minutes and then pull over.

Add:

I bet a more affective way to get people to stop talking while driving is for upgrading the highways (when space is available) with a full off spot for taking a call, looking at GPS, eating soup (which apparently causes more accidents than driving with a cell phone), etc. Not a complete rest stop, just a widen shoulder, include a separation wall if possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • I Donated
I rode with someone that actually drove using his Blackberry as a GPS device. It was horrible having to keep my mouth shut, because he was kind of my new boss for the week.

He could barely see the screen and couldn't stay in lanes.

I use GPS on my cell phone occasionally. I tend to do it only when I'm incredibly lost or need to divert on the spur of the moment -- I much prefer printed Google Maps directions. Either way, I may glance at the screen every once in a while, but mostly I rely on the audible directions.

I'm happy about this law. I wish it was a primary offense, though.

Archived