LegacyGT.com

Cell phone law in MD

LegacyGTBiggie

From everything ive heard and discussed with my Police type friends. Promary offence or not they can pull you over for JUST the cellphone.

The first offence can be neglegence for using a device while driving. then the cellphone could come into effect.

Or they can pull you over for any number of other issues(brake lights,blinkers,objects blocking visability etc) then just throw on the one that they wanted to... Cellphone.

More importantly. in what little driving I do... It is NOT helping as everyone is still on their phones.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From everything ive heard and discussed with my Police type friends. Promary offence or not they can pull you over for JUST the cellphone.

The first offence can be neglegence for using a device while driving. then the cellphone could come into effect.

Or they can pull you over for any number of other issues(brake lights,blinkers,objects blocking visability etc) then just throw on the one that they wanted to... Cellphone.

More importantly. in what little driving I do... It is NOT helping as everyone is still on their phones.

Ive heard the same thing. I was talking to one of my son's friend's dad who is a city cop and he was telling me how he gave his first cell phone ticket out. I asked him what he pulled them over for...speeding. etc? He said he just pulled them over for the cell phone. I was like, you know thats supposed to be a secondary offense right? He's like, "whats a secondary offense?" If someone is doing ANYTHING that can be ticketed I'll just pull em over for that, period.

So in short, "secondary offense" means nothing to cops. Which begs the question. Would you have a legal leg to stand on if this happened to you and the ONLY thing you were cited for was the cell phone? I mean, Im sure judges wouldn't wanna let you get away with it, just b/c it is a law, and it is dangerous. But whats the point of making the law a "secondary offense" if its not treated that way and you can STILL get the ticket regardless of the wording of the law.

the sad part is I still see people texing and driving. Almost got run off the road yesterday by some 13y/o looking punk driving a Ram dually with HOPEFULLY his knees on the steering wheel, because his hands were COMPLETELY off of it while texting.

• I Donated
Yeah, I was behind some idiot on back roads yesterday who had to have been on the phone and/or texting for a good 10 minutes. All over the road, widely varying speeds, poor brake modulation, not paying attention to gaps in traffic while making a left turn, rolling through a stop sign without even hitting the brakes... total fail.

Yeah, I was behind some idiot on back roads yesterday who had to have been on the phone and/or texting for a good 10 minutes. All over the road, widely varying speeds, poor brake modulation, not paying attention to gaps in traffic while making a left turn, rolling through a stop sign without even hitting the brakes... total fail.

And yet it is these A-holes that never get a ticket and end up causing a fatal accident, while they walk away. :mad:

And yet it is these A-holes that never get a ticket and end up causing a fatal accident, while they walk away. :mad:

Aside from the fact that they tend to cause more damage than receive, the law does add more charges in accident cases. Of course someone has to see the use of the phone during the accident and tell the officer writing the accident report about it. It is why I actually hate those who don't stop at an accident scene more....but that's a whole other thread.

I've tempted to put a sign in my side rear windows (wagon windows) that say it's illegal now, and site the code. That way I can just point to the sign. Of course I love just laying on the horn while they are talking....so the person on other end hears it.

Aside from the fact that they tend to cause more damage than receive, the law does add more charges in accident cases. Of course someone has to see the use of the phone during the accident and tell the officer writing the accident report about it. It is why I actually hate those who don't stop at an accident scene more....but that's a whole other thread.

I've tempted to put a sign in my side rear windows (wagon windows) that say it's illegal now, and site the code. That way I can just point to the sign. Of course I love just laying on the horn while they are talking....so the person on other end hears it.

You sir need both hella supertones and maybe even a airhorn kit as well!!!

What do you think I do with all 6 of my Supertones?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I thought you were selling the car?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

What will you replace it with?

You could just give me the horns for my car. I wouldn't mind having a few at the rear of the car...

I am pretty much dead set on a 06-07 CTS-V. 400hp NA from a 6 liter V8. Nice comfort and speed and lux all matched together.

And maybe just maybe if i can swing it... a 09 SDed CTS-V. Only because it is one of the only cars I can think if that I dont like the idea of modding it beyond rims/tint/exhaust.

The 06 would end up fully botled and done up similar to the LGT....

Kinda like this no matter the exterior color I get.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/6810230-post11.html

Can't see the pics at work.

I wouldn't mind an 09 CTS-V, but the few 04/05's I've driven really put a bad image in my mind. They were utter rubbish. All of them were falling apart, and they just felt terrible overall. Neither of them had more than 40k either.

pic didn't work.

There was so much slop in the drivetrains, such terrible steering, it felt like I was driving a crown-vic that had been a taxi for 6 years. It was clunky, chunky, and the interior was falling apart.

The seats were cracked, the bezel around the nav screen was coming off, the trim by the seatbelts was coming off, the shift boot was ripped, the steering wheel was loose (the foam core was loose from the metal ring, so you could "twist" the wheel). I drove 2 that I was considering buying, and both were in similar shape. One had 41k and the other 53k. One was an 04, the other an 05.

OH GOD...DON'T DO THE MURDERED OUT THING. So overplayed and is just a cop out on general styling.

Josh....you really need to just start a thread about this and link everyone to it. It shows up in many of the threads.

-------------

On Topic:

I actually didn't see any drivers using the cell today while in VA or MD. I was rather surprised. I wasn't exactly looking the entire time, but when on the beltway going home, the traffic was slow (and when I figured the chances would be highest). I'm not sure if this is atypical or if that will be more and more common. I'm sure there will always be violators. I almost forgot and started to do a text msg. (only while stopped at a traffic light) before I remembered it wasn't allowed.

Archived