LegacyGT.com

CV Axle fun :D ... again *sigh*

***RANT AND INFORMATION SECTION***

So I decided to change out my driver's side CV axle yesterday.

As I'm taking the CV axle off of the junk car I forgot to remove the bolt with the tie rod end and the strut decided to rest itself gracefully on top of the CV boot by the way. Didnt rip the boot, but did put two tiny holes which were later filled with super glue and part of another melted CV boot. Fun fun. Either way I got a used hub and a CV axle from the junk yard for $40 and the wheel bearing seems like it's decent and the boot was in good shape so I was feeling pretty good.

Well, lo and behold, the same thing happened to the driver that did to the passenger. (Nut welded the hub and the CV axle as a unit) Not a big deal since I'd been through it before and expected it, which is why I bought the new hub. Well taking off the hub from the junk yard I smushed the lower ball joint that connects to the control arm(?) and so that had to be replaced. No problem. $20. Easy to change out. Then as I was disconnecting the tie rod end from MY CAR I unfortunately split the boot and it oozed a lot of crap out, so lucky me, I get to change that too :/ Another $20 *sigh* Only problem is that it's in Tampa and pouring down rain so a two hour drive.

It's now 7pm by the time I get home and we're breaking everything part, cleaning it, regreasing.

Here's where I'm stuck. I got to take the old tie rod end off and I noticed that the boot on the rack and pinion is ripped and has been invaded by dirt. (Leaving it for now...too aggravated to spend more money) So now it's about 1:30am at this point (we stopped to help some Dodge that had broken down) I'm trying to take off the tie rod end and all it does is twist the rack and pinion arm. There's a slot for a 12mm wrench to go on there, but I cant stabilize it enough to get it to break loose. So I decided to leave it for the night and put the new CV axle on there and the freakin pin from my old CV axle is bigger than the new one so I have to go to the junk yard and find the freakin pin! Get home at 3. Take a shower. Up at 6:20...today is gonna suck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

***QUESTION SECTION***

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove the tie rod end from the rack and pinion arm without damaging it?

What's the worst that could happen if the rack and pinion boot is torn? It seems like it's been like that for a while

with no ill effects, but there's no telling with as much as we go offroad and I'm sure there will be more dirt in it soon.

Sorry for the wall of text, guys :/

You're going to want to fix the boot somehow, sooner rather than later. Even if you grease it dirt will just stick to the grease and damage the rack anyway.

When I did my rod ends I had no issues. Just torqued the thing off and screwed the new one in. Maybe some rubber gloves and a stiff hand will do it. PB Blaster could work too.

It's not rusty, just old. I sprayed it with some PB Blaster, but I couldn't get an torque on it without it spinning. I'm tempted to just replace the whole thing, considering that the boot's ripped. I may just find one out of a junk yard also and put the new tie rod end on there since I already bought it.

• I Donated

The part you're talking about thats spinning is the inner tie rod end. This is what you turn when you adjust the toe during an alignment. The boot at the rack is called the bellows boot...its an easy thing to replace while you have the outer tie rod end seperated from the steering knuckle. They are cheap, and are usually held on by steel bands or zip ties if its after market.

I specialize in alignments and front end repairs, so I know all too well the trouble you're going through.

First, put the outer tie rod end back onto the steering knuckle and thread the nut back onto it. You don't have to torque it down, just get it in there to avoid it from spinning.

Now bust loose the jam nut that sits against the back of the out tie rod end.

Now take your 12mm wrench and start giving the inner tie rod end hell. Taking a torch and a ton of PB blaster to where the outer tie rod end and the inner tie rod end meet usually helps out a lot. If the 12mm wrench isn't working out so well, you can put a pipe wrench on it. Be carefull when you're using a regular wrench though because I have had them break on me....causing broken bones and lots of foul language lol.

Once you get your inner tie rod end spinning while the outer tie rod end is still in the steering knuckle, you should be able to seperate the outer tie rod end and spin it off now. You may have to hold the inner tie rod end with your wrench. The hardest part is getting it to spin...after that its usually really easy.

After you do all this, you will HAVE to get your car aligned. If you don't, it will most likely pull to one side or the other. And you will 100% for sure eat through your tires really quick

Not replacing the boot you're talking about won't kill your car. Its more or less a dust shield to keep dirt from getting in the joint of the inner tie rod end. If dirt gets in there, it will eventually lead to the joint failing....and when that happens you will have to do this whole process all over again

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Oh wow...all of the crap I just wrote. Pretty aggravated right now.

In short.

Got front of boot on by heating it up to open the front end a bit.

Back end wont go on. No room to slip it on over. Too tight.

Have any idea of an easy way to get it on there?

(And I appreciate all of the help :D)

• I Donated
That, I wouldn't know. try spinning it as you try and push it over. If that doesn't work, you can cut a little slit on the troublesome side to give it a bit more play. Then just make sure you clamp it really good. I would use a steel band hose clamp if you have one that big.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived