LegacyGT.com

"loose" steering at highway speeds

mdlwn1

Just bought an '09 legacy 2.5i with 13k on it. Seems a little loose at speeds above 55 mph on straight highways. Not bad..just no where near my girlfriends tsx. The wind seems to push it around as well more so than I would like....always seem to to be turning a hair left or a hair right...never dead straight. Dealer just did the 15k service and the car is no different. Nothing feels wrong..more like its the personality of the car. Is this common? Are there basic mods that address only the seemingly wide dead spot in the seering center at speed?..like aggressive alignment or front end parts that might firm things up directionally at speed?

The stock steering rack bushings are very mushy. I replaced mine with poly ones and it's a lot better with more direct steering response. All of the Legacys seem to be influenced by the wind, especially high cross winds. Also, my front end links recently bent and the sway bar wasn't loading up properly which made the front end feel loose. I replaced them and it's a lot better now.

Poly bushings and a more aggressive alignment will help for sure.

I put the AVO offset lower control arm bushings (that provide a bit more positive caster) and got an alignment. Definitely a nice positive change!

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
I've been reading about electric vrs belt driven power steering. Are all legacys the same or are the turbo's different. I wonder if the electric power steering can be manipulated in any way....who needs power steering above 55 anyway? To the guys that have replaced bushings..what are the drawbacks? My dealer instantly suggested I not do that. As for over aligning the car, they said they only do that on rally cars. Just wish there was some simple way to solidify the car at speed.

An alignment could fix your problems, get it checked out. Also check your tire pressures as someone else said, it could be something real simple like that. An '09 shouldn't have worn out bushings to worry about.

Archived