LegacyGT.com

EDM Dual Console box in a USDM car

mclarenf3

Could you provide a little more detail as to what you did in steps 9-11?

Step 8: Shows how I will mount it all. From top to bottom (refer to this for my terminology on parts):

- Original Armrest lid

- Original Armrest lid trim (this is the piece that fits into the armrest lid)

- Extension box hinge

- Extension box

- Original hinge

- Base console box

Step 9: This shows the original armrest lid trim after I cut off the curved portion which hides the hinge.

Step 10: This shows the original armrest lid underside (the part that has the leather attached). I had to grind down some of the plastic in there so that the screw nuts that I attached (see next step) would fit inside when I close the armrest lid over the armrest trim. I hope this makes sense?

Step 11: I then took the armrest lid trim and drilled two holes to match up with where the hinge (the extension box hinge) will attach. Use the extension box hinge has a template to figure out where to drill the holes.

Step 12: Shows it all put together.

And when you say in your above post "I ended up cutting more from the box so it sits flush", I assume you mean from the EDM storage box? If so, what did you cut and how much???

Yep, I only cut from the EDM storage box so that I didn't modify the base console box (replacing that part would be costly). ;)

In the step 19 photo, you can see I curved the cut to match up with the base console box. In the photo, however, I did not cut enough of the curve to make it sit flush. So I cut a bit more, and actually mostly cut more from the back portion. This part was trial and error, but it's also hidden away (when the seats are in their normal position) so don't be too scared about not getting it perfect.

I'll take a photo once I get home to show you the final look. As I did omit that photo by accident.

I cannot tell you how great this thread is for me. I picked up a used lid for cheap and from the parts you listed that you modified, I should be able to simply put my extended armrest back on if I mess this up with no damage to anything other than my spare lid and the EDM box. RESULT!

I'm so glad to be able to help someone else in the same boat as me. I was rather upset once I realized it was the wrong part. It wasn't the fault of the seller, as if I had done a bit more research I would've realized it myself. And on top of that, it took nearly a month to ship to me, because a goof up by USPS.

Anyway, yes, if you got the armrest and the metal hinge, then you can always go back to stock whenever you want (or on the off chance you screw it up).

Post photos when you're done!

I have one of these on my 2005 and it was a snap to install. Does your car have the USDM accessory armrest extension? If so, that was likely your problem. The JDM/EDM box is designed to work with the original fixed lid.

Steve

Nope, I don't have the USDM accessory armrest extension. Basically, you received the correct part for your car. I didn't. ;)

Mclarenf3 - copied from your post:

In the step 19 photo, you can see I curved the cut to match up with the base console box. In the photo, however, I did not cut enough of the curve to make it sit flush. So I cut a bit more, and actually mostly cut more from the back portion. This part was trial and error, but it's also hidden away (when the seats are in their normal position) so don't be too scared about not getting it perfect.

Can you snap a photo if possible of where you cut from? You say back portion but am having trouble vizualizing this.

Again, I have to say that this has been a brilliant walk-through and am going to give this a go once I get a free moment - 2 young kids and a pregnant wife leave little to no free time right now!

The back portion I am talking about is the bottom rear of the console box. Basically it has to match the upward curve that the base console box has at the back.

Here's the photos as promised. As you can see, there still is a gap, but it is only noticable when I put the passenger seat all the way forward (and incline forward too). When I put the passenger seat back to where it normally is, you cannot see the gap (from either side).

Yikes, with 2 kids and another one on the way, I can understand you might not have this at the top of your priority list. Just keep us posted whenever you do get a chance to work on it. I'd love to see your results.

P8110700.thumb.jpg.73af25630f247ce2be708022a89e1edf.jpg

P8110701.thumb.jpg.69fef213d9435ca3226d5d6cd577d7b5.jpg

P8110702.thumb.jpg.7da5453303ab65ddf6496ef608e761a2.jpg

The part number referenced by boostin is the correct part number for the part you now have, for the EDM model. I ordered that exact part number and the picture is like the one in boostin's link but the actual part is now made differently. Seems Subie changed the part without changing the part number, somewhere along model year 2008 . . . .

I don't know if I buy that Subaru changed the part and kept the same number since the part number for the EDM 08-09 is not the same as the one boostin named. Is it actually clear that you got the 01JC part but it is of a different design, or is it just that you ordered with that part number and instead may have received the 20JC?

These are the Black EDM part numbers:

05-07: J2010AG001JC

08-09: J2010AG020JC

Honestly, looking at the interiors from 2005-2009, the arm rests all appear to be the same "curved" style. To me, it seems like it's the EDM versions that have the "square" style that both exsterminator and I got.

Nope, I don't have the USDM accessory armrest extension. Basically, you received the correct part for your car. I didn't. ;)

OK, my brain officially hurts.

My instructions are mostly in Japanese, but the part # is J2017AG000. My armrest has a metal hinge, as does the console box. AVO JDM Parts still shows this to be a good part number.

http://www.avojdm.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_43_51&products_id=158

Steve

See that's funny because if you go to that link, you'll see pictures of the TWO different console boxes. The large photo that you see at first is the correct one (for us USDM guys). However, the box that I actually have is the one in the smaller photo (which is for the EDM guys I assume).

• 1 year later...

BUMP!

anyone want to trade the EDM one for the JDM one?

I have a black one

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

Archived