LegacyGT.com

New owner of 2008 Legacy...

Hey everyone. New Subaru owner here, just saying hello. I just purchased my first one.

To tell you up front, my current drive is a 2009 Porsche 911. I needed a second car to drive all winter here in Michigan, to drive to work sometimes, and one that I could drive to and park anywhere (supermarket, movies, etc.....) I typically put on 25K miles/year, and no way do I want to put those kind of miles on the porsche.

So I test drove several cars, as I was looking for a fun inexpensive awd daily driver for a second car. I ruled out SUV's right away. I actually like the looks of Jeep, and even test drove the Liberty and new Grand Cherokee, but they weren't for me.

So, in the end, it came down the 2010 Subaru Legacy or Ford Fusion Sport AWD. Unfortunately, I didn't like either. It was the lack-of-fun and uniqueness factor. (btw, I'm not looking for or expecting porsche-like performance here...) They both seemed sterile, and I didn't like the interior layouts of either, although I actually slightly preferred the new Fusion better. Btw, I drove 3 versions of the Legacy, including the most powerful one.

But then I test drove a CPO 2008 Subaru Legacy Limited, and BINGO, that was it. Great fun tight unique little car. Great looks and interior, classy, austere. And peppy enough, didn't even need the turbo for me. I knew after about 2 minutes that I found my car.

From my totally "non-subaru" perspective, the 2010+ newer model Legacy was uninspiring, and the interior was generic and somewhat cheap, and curvy in that new ugly toyota-like (and BMW-like way), and it's now too large, the suspension now numb and too soft.... It did corner well, but that was about it. On the other hand, the 2008 Legacy still has "IT", the fun factor, and I knew it immediately.

FWIW

pics of both subaru and porsche are welcomed :)

Once i get my legacy i will be changing the endlinks and swaybars to give if a better ride. Might even go with new coilovers or springs.

I do not like the new body style as well so i will be getting '08-'09 legacy once i sell my '07 sti.

Congrats on your legacy.

Yes, I realize that the GT would be more fun. But honestly, I don't need this car to be a higher performance car. And since it's my only winter car, I don't want it lowered, for example, as I want a little better snow clearance.

Perhaps I should have looked instead for a turbo, because those engines rock in winter temps especially!

But my new 2.5i is in perfect condition, leather like new, one-owner leasee, black/black with spoiler, just right, imo.

And I've found out that used 08's and 09's are already in demand up here, not a lot sitting around. And the word is out now that Subaru screwed up big-time with the new 2010's, changed way too much at once and still hasn't gotten it sorted out yet. That's gonna make the used ones, espec the great 08-09's, the most sought after, I'm guessing.

It's been raining...I'll post pics of the porsche and legacy this weekend.

My impression after driving 2008 Legacy 2.5i Limited after 3 days:

--great steering feel, weighted just right, on par with the germans

-- ok, of course the 4-cyl isn't a powerhouse, but has more pep than most

base 4's, and is a LOT more peppy than the CVT in the new models.

Acceptable for my needs.

-- I will add the rear sway bar. I might do new springs too, but that's it.

-- Oh, I disagree with the heavy criticism of the stereo system from the consumer reviews I've read. Sure, the 100-watt system lacks oomph and especially bass, but the tone quality is actually quite nice, especially the treble, and is far better than the Bose in my 911. (btw, I did not like the HK at all in the new Legacy's that I test drove.). I will likely add the subwoofer though. Funny how most things sound better with the WOW on, but some of my CD's sound better with it turned off.

OK here are pics of my current cars:

2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S (C2S), racing green, tan interior, PDK, sports chrono, etc...

2008 Legacy 2.5i Limited, black/black, winter car, part daily driver

sorry for the poor quality.

Unfortunately, the stunning racing green color didn't show well in my poor pics

IMG00098.thumb.jpg.7eefc6304295bf54a34ecb4d9931505c.jpg

IMG00099.thumb.jpg.2da63a70780308d1cebec6351582812d.jpg

IMG00102.thumb.jpg.894230e08a4311553f9f845c06bb1e0a.jpg

IMG00101.thumb.jpg.27afb6dea0e8ea5b14fbe1d13c5a1fa9.jpg

Ok, I did my first change.

I replaced the warn stock Yoko 82's with Conti ExtremeContact DWS's.

What a difference! So far, I love these tires...

I also went from the stock 205/50/17 size (in my 2.5i Limited) to 215/45/17's in the Conti's. Much improved...

My car will be a part time DD in the summer, and full time in the winter. I was debating between 205's vs. 215's vs 225's tread width. I decided that the 205's gave up too much in handling, whereas the 225 isn't preferable in the winter (we can get heavy snowfall here in Michigan), so I went with the 215's and will try them year round. If I ran two sets of tires instead, I'd prob. go with a 225/summer and 205/winter setup.

Congrats on the new Leggy, and for the 911!

One of my all-time favorite hockey memories involves a 911: when the 'Wings won one of their Cup's in the '90s - I want to say 1997 - Stevie Y carried the Stanley Cup out to his 911, threw it in the back seat, and drove off. No tint, so you could clearly see the Cup in the back window as he drove away from the Joe.

That was awesome.

I lived in Detroit for 12 years and supported the RedWings... unless they were playing my hometown team, of course. Go Ducks!

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Archived