LegacyGT.com

Terrible grinding noise in the rear right.

So as I am driving and I hit the brake I get this nasty very loud grinding noise in my rear right tire. It almost sounded like I rock. So I pulled it apart last night and took the rotor out and check it cleaned it up.

Checked the brake pads and they look fine. I cannot figure this out. Only happens when I hit the brakes and boy does it sound nasty.

it's only in the right rear? only with braking? I'd check the heat shield, see if that's getting in the way or anything. did it just randomly pop up? have a friend drive the car and you watch outside...could also be the parking brake being hung up. I had the same problem, and it turned out the heat shield was touching my rotor, and the parking brake was a P.O.S. and needed to be replaced.

Okay hm, I checked the shield if it was rubbing then it would make that metal sheering noise (I know because it happened to both my fronts). I checked that. The parking brake works fine which is odd.

So basically to stop my self on the way home yesterday I used the E-Brake to stop and it didn't make any noise. Only when I pushed on the pedal it made the noise. Which is odd to me. I pulled it apart and cleaned it all back there. It blows my mind. It came up out of no where yesterday.

Generally a grinding sound from breaking is a sign of worn pads. Did the brakes used to sequel a bit? If so, you've officially worn through the squealers on your brake pads and are now working on grinding down the backing plate. If left too long, the pad could fall out and irreparable damage could happen to your caliper pistons. Had this happen on an old car one time because I was young and stupid. When the pad fell out in a parking lot and I had to drive home 15 miles on the emergency brake. Luckily my efforts with the emergency brake saved my caliper.

Post pictures of the pads if you're unsure. If you notice uneven wear on the pads, or if the friction material has been worn away in any one spot its time for new pads in the rear. This isn't uncommon since the front brakes wear more frequently, the rears usually get neglected by average American motorists (IE the previous owner).

Could be the parking brake, but those aren't used under normal conditions. For the parking brake to make that much noise under normal braking is unlikely. The heat shield is a good place to start.

Archived