LegacyGT.com

What do C5 Corvettes do?

Just curious what a base-model C5 Corvette will do in the 1/4.

I'd also be curious in a 20-100 time, if anyone happens to know.

I'm.... curious.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

What do C5 Corvettes do?

Production of the C5 Corvette began in 1997 and ended with the 2004 model year. The C5 was a major improvement over the long-running C4, which like early Corvettes, tended to develop squeaks and rattles. The new C5 has a top speed of 171 mph (275 km/h) and was judged by the automotive press as improved in nearly every area over the previous Corvette design thanks to its much improved structural rigidity and much more curvaceous design.

Also introduced with the C5 was GM's new LS1 small block. This third-generation small block was a completely new design, including a distributor-less ignition and a new cylinder firing order. It was initially rated at 345 bhp (257 kW) and 350 lb·ft (470 N·m), but was increased to 350 bhp (260 kW) in 2001. The new engine, combined with the new body and its low 0.29 drag coefficient, resulted in a performance car that was able to achieve up to 28 mpg on the highway.

For its first year, the C5 was available only as a coupe, even though the new platform was designed from the ground up to be a convertible. The convertible returned to the lineup in 1998, followed by the fixed-roof coupe (FRC) in 1999. One concept for the FRC was for it to be a stripped-down model with a possible V6 engine (nicknamed in-house as the "Billy Bob"). It was eventually in 2000 decided to not strip down the model, and the FRC later laid the groundwork for the return in 2001 of the Z06, an RPO option not seen since Zora's 1963 race-ready Corvette.

The Z06 model replaced the FRC model as the highest performance C5 Corvette. Instead of a heavier double-overhead cam engine like the ZR-1 of the C4 generation, the Z06 used an LS6, a 385 bhp (287 kW) derivative of the standard LS1 engine. Using the much more rigid fixed roof design allowed the Z06 unprecedented handling thanks to upgraded brakes and a much less body flex. Those characteristics, along with the use of exotic materials such as a titanium exhaust system and a carbon fiber hood in the 2004 model year, led to further weight savings and therefore performance gains for the C5 Z06. The LS6 was later upgraded to 405 bhp (302 kW) for 2002-2004. Although the Z06's rated power output equal to that of the C4 ZR-1, the improved suspension, rigidity, brakes, and reduced weight of the C5 produced a car much quicker than the previous generation's ZR-1.

It brings win.

0-60 in 4.7s.

1/4 Mile in 13.3 for the hardtop.

13.5 for the convertible.

13.0 for the 2001 Z06

12.5 for the Z06

10.3 for the C5-R

Are you planning to race somebody? I've been curious having seen them everywhere lately.

Not planning. Some guy with one was being a jerk, and I wasn't having it. He swerved in front of me with only a few feet to spare (I could barely see his brake lights over my hood).

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Not planning. Some guy with one was being a jerk, and I wasn't having it. He swerved in front of me with only a few feet to spare (I could barely see his brake lights over my hood).

If I remember your mod list you would get PWNd hard. 1000 less lbs and a lot more hp and you got basically no chance. Check out my stage3 LGT vs a newer Mustang GT then vs Shamar in his stock Z06... I sit with the zed to the top of 1st then chase till 330, once he hit 660 he could finally put his foot in it and is just, well... Gone.

Sorry for the poor video quality to come...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtjUql8z16I]YouTube- Subaru Legacy GT smokes a Mustang GT at Fontana[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrc3az08uwo]YouTube- Subaru Legacy GT vs Z06[/ame]

We also weren't drag racing. It was a 30mph roll, and I'm sure he wasn't expecting a station wagon to keep up. I really need to pull the 2.5XT badge off the back.

It also wasn't a Z06.

As for mods, I'm all stock now. Just easier that way.

IIRC the 09 OBXT Ltd. is around 3350lbs. I haven't had it on the scales to check, though. I might after the Bilstein swap, just to see how it all looks.

I didn't "win" nor was I expecting to. I was just surprised how much the little wagon fought him off. He was a major tool bag.

We also weren't drag racing. It was a 30mph roll, and I'm sure he wasn't expecting a station wagon to keep up. I really need to pull the 2.5XT badge off the back.

It also wasn't a Z06.

As for mods, I'm all stock now. Just easier that way.

IIRC the 09 OBXT Ltd. is around 3350lbs. I haven't had it on the scales to check, though. I might after the Bilstein swap, just to see how it all looks.

I didn't "win" nor was I expecting to. I was just surprised how much the little wagon fought him off. He was a major tool bag.

He either wasnt racing or was automatic and hit a dead spot in his gearing. Even a stock c5 can trap 106-110mph. You car probably wont even trap 100mph.

Archived