LegacyGT.com

P0011, P0021, Missfire, OCV or Oil flow Control Valve

Have you seen my thread on the R&R of my engine, you may find some good info there and what your in for.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

95k, I lucked out. I had bought my car 3 days prior to the codes. I took it back to the dealership and got rid of it. The dealer is still trying to sell it without fixing anything...

Although, there were warning signs prior to my purchase as well. It had a brand new turbo, and oil pan. I should never had tried to purchase it in the first place. :spin:

Oh well, live and learn.

Ran into some trouble this morning. No laptop, so no codes yet, but threw a cel and then started sounding a bit funny, so I shut it down.

Long story short, passenger OCV is not delivering oil to my IP&T oil line, thus no oil to the turbo and wherever else passeneger ocv goes.

I unscrewed the double banjo from the ocv location and turned the car over, Zero oil coming out.

Turbo still spins, but I'm worried what 5 min of starvation may have done. I have the BNR 18g.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the P0011 about 1 month ago. The power curve is not as usual when the turbo kicks in, feels like random loss of power through the RPMs. Idle RPM dips down to 500 from time to time but manages to not stall. Got the old OCV changed and runs perfectly, for now...

No filters present in the banjo bolts so YAY!

Got the P0011 about 1 month ago. The power curve is not as usual when the turbo kicks in, feels like random loss of power through the RPMs. Idle RPM dips down to 500 from time to time but manages to not stall. Got the old OCV changed and runs perfectly, for now...

No filters present in the banjo bolts so YAY!

In case you didn't know. The banjo filter bolts are in the heads, PS Rear, DS front, not the banjo bolt that screws into the OCVs.

From thread, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2-5gt-turbo-oil-supply-banjo-bolt-filter-removal-61689.html

Note that it only applies to FXT / Baja and STi models. Don't know why they singled those models out and decided to screw you...

http://i.imgur.com/f5o9h.gif

My '08 WRX (late '08 build) came with the filter in btw. I believe the '09 builds omitted them, and that should be when motors destined for LGT models also lost them.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• 4 months later...

You'll need to clean or remove the banjo filter that feeds the turbo, I'd run a can of motor flush for 5 minutes and then change the oil.

Start saving money for a turbo. Mine lasted about 1000 miles after these codes.

listen to the turbo, if it whines, start saving, when it whistle's STOP driving it then. replace the turbo before it blows and takes out the engine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Gunk make some, I have used it for years. Auto parts stores have it and some times Walmart.

Dump it in, idle the engine for 5 minutes, change the oil and filter.

• 4 weeks later...

Have been subbed to this thread since it began, just for reference. Now P0011 popped up 2 days ago after returning from a lengthy repair due to an unfortunate meeting with a large stone wall a few months ago.

ECU had been reset due to the battery being disconnected, therefore I had chalked up the slightly rough idle and stumbling at low rpm to relearning. And the car did idle fine for a while initially with none such issues. So after clearing the code, I drove the car home about 20 miles with no issues what so ever a stoplights, etc. Then I decided to turn the car off when I got home, then turn it back on, at which point I began to have the stumbling issue again, however the CEL has yet to reappear.

Car has had a 68hta with an FP ss feed line and proper sized FP banjo for 40k mi. OEM avcs hardline/banjo. Replacing both OCV's for good measure.

• 6 months later...
Hey guys plz help!! Sorry for the old thread but I just got these codes and seen some pretty useful stuff here.. So can I just take these valves out temporarily to avoid starvation? Or are u cleaning them and putting them back?

Thats funny, I guess by now you figured you need them in for the car to run correctly.

Hey guys plz help!! Sorry for the old thread but I just got these codes and seen some pretty useful stuff here.. So can I just take these valves out temporarily to avoid starvation? Or are u cleaning them and putting them back?

Are you talking about the banjo filters? Or the acv?

Ya dumb question huh.. Well I think I just damaged some stuff just by not changing my oil in time.. I got a couple squeals from turbo coming up the mtn, and pulled over immediately. Anyway I flushed system changed oil and cleaned ocvs, seems to be running ok now no codes but I smell burning shit all the time and looks like smoke coming from oil fill when I open the cap. No whining or anything from turbo if it's not dead I'm sure it's on its way.. Was planning on buying a bnr in the spring and can't afford one till then, is there anything else I can do to save it or buy some time before I blow my motor 2? Thanx

At least pull the DP and check the turbo for shaft play.

Very little is ok at this point, if you can feel it move more then say .030" think about not driving.

I posted a video back in Aug 11 may be, 142,000 miles on OEM turbo.

Here, I did a google serach for that. It just began to whistle from whining for about a 1000 miles.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/142-000-miles-oem-turbo-168561.html

Ok I can check for shaft play easy enough.. But where the heck are these banjo filters?? Also my brother is an ase mechanic he mentioned a compression check tool that screws into a spark plug is that correct? Would I have to check all 4? They're such a pain to get to thanx again for the help

Check the turbo first.

Yes a compression test involves removing all four plugs, opening the TB and screwing the gauge into the spark plug hole and cranking the engine over.

There's a thread here about the banjo filters.

If you have a 05-06 they are on the front or back side of the heads.

Here, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2-5gt-turbo-oil-supply-banjo-bolt-filter-removal-61689.html

Not sure if that talks about both. The other one is on the front behind the timing belt cover. you can grind/cut the head off it and put a 17mm on it and remove it without taking the timing cover off.

• 1 month later...

Archived