LegacyGT.com

Subaru seeks to dump 'quirky,' broaden appeal

Max Capacity

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100712/CARNEWS/100719984

So what do you think ?

"Performance came first--and if the car looked funny, so be it. Previous attempts to improve design sometimes fell spectacularly flat--most notably the widely panned, aircraft-inspired "propeller" grille of the mid-2000s."

Has anyone seen any of his design's ?

The guy's hobby is cooking, how can he be a car guy ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The car shown in this link was his , and represents the future design direction for Subaru .......Things could get VERY interesting with Subaru if this designer is allowed freedom to change the current Legacy ...............(Read his comments on which of Subarus' previous designs he prefers ). http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2009/10/subaru-hybrid-tourer-at-the-2009-tokyo-auto-show.html
Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

Thanks for the link. I have kind of been out of the loop since most of the new cars are mainly, IMO, ugly.

That hybrid is not too bad looking in the front end. I'm just too old...

I've decided to keep my 05 and rebuild the drive line as needed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Subaru seems to, every once in awhile, happen on to a great design. But then they change it and screw it all up... Take the Legacy, awesome looking car from '05-'09, but now it looks like a Camry... Even in '07 they had to "revolutionize" it and add those weird looking reflectors to the bumper...

Then we have the Outback, what the hell did they do to that, it looks terrible now... it's golden years were '96-'09, it looks like a weird minivan crossover thing now...

I don't understand how a company can make such a great looking design on one hand, then completely screw it up on the next...

I think for a short time there someones head fell out of there butt.

Then got shoved back in and now we got the ugly outback minivan suv want-a-be thing.

I walk by a new OB in the parking lot everday nd just shake my head...who in the right mind would buy that ugly thing. I bet the same people who bought the Pontiac Aztec thing.

"Subaru users want a unique, almost cult, design, not a clean design like the Hybrid Tourer Concept," Ito says. The goal should be a timeless look that better embodies functionality, he said.

Subaru bets existing fans will stay true.

"It won't alienate the core because they appreciate that it's an evolution, not a revolution," Boch says. "The hard-core fans will keep buying it even if it's ugly. It's an added plus if it looks good."

uh... no.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Take the Legacy, awesome looking car from '05-'09, but now it looks like a Camry...

An interesting note on this one... I bought the LGT partially BECAUSE it looks like an everything-else-that-is-NOT-an-AWD-turbo-plaything. When it comes to potential sleeper rockets, you can't really beat a "family sedan" that is difficult to differentiate from an Accord or Camry. This was one of the major factors that came in to play while I was sitting on the fence between another STi or an LGT. There's something to be said for not being cited for 46 in a 45...

Of course I would greatly prefer of the Accord and Camry were a good deal sexier so it didn't suck as bad to blend in, but meh...

That said, I think Subaru would have been wise to split the 2010 design off in to a new line or otherwise find a way to preserve the more aggressive styling of the past few years for the LGT if the intention was to attract a new demographic. There was no reason to alienate the more adamant enthusiast group over design principles when they already had something that worked. If you want to make a Camry clone, create a new line of Camry clones. Don't nuke an existing model.

I think the sales results from 09 to 10 have shown that Subaru has already increased its appeal to more mass market. The design is different, but not HUGELY so. From 09 to 10 is an evolution, not a revolution. But, I think the biggest driver for the increase in SALES is the increase in SPACE inside the car. Were the car even uglier, I doubt that would have enough of a negative affect on sales to offset the increased demand for the car because of the increased space.

For me, the reason I'm buying an '11 is exactly that, because of the increased space. Also because I like the security of AWD and the control of a manual transmission. In a sport sedan, you can't get that blend anywhere else in this price range. Buick is coming with the Regal GS, but it isn't here yet. Audi/BMW are more expensive, as is Acura. Ford is out there with the Fusion, but you can't get a stick with AWD.

I never understood the logic of buying a car that looks like ass because you think it result in less tickets.

That's just me though.

And Subaru needs new design language, inside and out.

The guy's hobby is cooking, how can he be a car guy ?

Favorite foods: Ham, salami, prosciutto, tomato pasta

The man loves Italian food.

Italians have passion.

How is this a bad thing? :D

The man loves Italian food.

Italians have passion.

How is this a bad thing? :D

I suppose that's ok as long as you drive a pizza...

So a car enthusiast/designer's ONLY hobby can be cars?

Michael Schumacher likes to ride horses. Maybe he ought to race them, instead. Or make dog food. We all know he's not a very good driver.

;)

"It won't alienate the core because they appreciate that it's an evolution, not a revolution," Boch says. "The hard-core fans will keep buying it even if it's ugly. It's an added plus if it looks good."

Yep, that's why all the Tribecas are flying off the lots :rolleyes::spin:

Yep, that's why all the Tribecas are flying off the lots :rolleyes::spin:

Just like all of the "ugly" Outbacks, Legacys, Foresters, and Imprezas. If anything, the Tribeca is the most handsome of them all even if the design is stale at this point.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

eh, having the Renault 5 as an example is pretty sad. It's boring and utilitarian -- there are much better examples such as the Beetle or 2CV that haven't looked so dated. The 5 exemplifies everything about small cars in the 80s -- don't take chances, just make it cheap. Hell, even Toyota made a better looking car in that time frame.

If there's one thing you can continually knock Subaru for is that they're not much for original designs. Most of the 2000s Subaru has been copying someone or another -- from the Malibu/Camry inspired Legacy to the Alfa Romeo rip-off of the Impreza. They haven't had a design philosophy, just something to take an etching of other people's models. There's little originality in the current Legacy, everything is pulled from a G37 or a Mazda 6 (current gen).

If he wants to broaden the appeal by having their own designs, power to him. If he's looking to steal Renault's designs or someone else, Subaru has already been there.

So a car enthusiast/designer's ONLY hobby can be cars?

Michael Schumacher likes to ride horses. Maybe he ought to race them, instead. Or make dog food. We all know he's not a very good driver.

;)

LOL yea, I'm pretty norrow minded that way. At least Schumy likes to ski. My son was a big fan back in his day's.

Even in '07 they had to "revolutionize" it and add those weird looking reflectors to the bumper...

That was actually 08 thank god...

And my fiance says the same thing about what they did to her Impreza Outback, she hates the 08+ stuff.

Yea,that's why they are selling so well,,:lol::lol::lol:

or it's because of other reasons like being outdated, small, and no one knows about it?:rolleyes:

http://legacygt.com/forums/../images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

the ugly 06-07 tribeca dramatically outsold the 08-10.:rolleyes:http://legacygt.com/forums/../images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived