LegacyGT.com

Subaru seeks to dump 'quirky,' broaden appeal

Max Capacity

LOL yea, I'm pretty norrow minded that way. At least Schumy likes to ski. My son was a big fan back in his day's.

It's cool I was just pulling your leg, anyhow. :D

As for the Tribeca, my wife and I drove two (an '06 and an '09), and she wasn't super crazy about it. We liked the inside but she prefers the handling of the Outback. She liked the '10 Outback (3.6R) quite a lot.

The one benefit to the Tribeca is the third row. But she's also driven, and loved, the Acura MDX and Volvo XC60. The Volvo's a bit too small, and I read of a lot of transmission troubles with the T6. (Plus, they're probably going to be sold to Geely and I guess that's discomforting somehow...) I want her to drive the Mazda CX9, I think it looks nice and the cargo room is cavernous - like 100 cu. ft.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I haven't been posting or lurking much lately, as I sort of lost interest in Subaru with the "mainstreaming" of the Legacy. But I'll just say that I will not buy a car that I find to be ugly, regardless of how well engineered it may be. I loved the looks of the previous gen Legacy, and that as much as the substance of the car factored into my decision to buy one. The new Legacy is just not visually appealing, having traded the sleek, sporty look for awkward proportions and an "old person's car" feel.

Agreed, I bought the car for it's looks and interior feel.. the all wheel drive and turbo are great additions, but we all know there are other options with those same characteristics... I won't buy a butt ugly car simply because it's a Subaru....

Yet how many people didn't buy Legacys or Outbacks for their lack of appeal? They're on pace to smash the previous yearly sales records.

The previous gen Legacys were completely boring, like a clay model someone formed in the late 90s that they dug up and put forward as a prototype. It has the same design theory as the first gen Taurus -- take a box, smooth it down, call it a day. It is totally uninspiring. It may be sleek, but to me it lakes purpose and looks lazy.

And as far as sleek goes, is the Malibu sleek? Accord? Ion? Avalon? There were plenty of cars that lacked edges. Sleek is an Alfa Romeo Brera or a Vauxhall VXR220. Those look like they're perpetually in motion. That is sleek, not something that looks like a well-worn bar of soap.

or it's because of other reasons like being outdated, small, and no one knows about it?:rolleyes:

http://legacygt.com/forums/../images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

the ugly 06-07 tribeca dramatically outsold the 08-10.:rolleyes:http://legacygt.com/forums/../images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

I bought my '07 Tribeca in '08, and my salesman said they were getting substantially higher volume sales on the '08s than they did on the '06 & '07 models, then gas prices shot to $4.00/gallon and SUV sales tanked. Tribeca sales never recovered.

And as far as sleek goes, is the Malibu sleek?

No, not with its huge grille and tall nose (not unlike the new Legacy) and its fat C pillar, and chopped off looking tail. I think the Pontiac G6 was the sleekest of the Epsilon platform cars, followed by the Saturn Aura and the Malibu would be last in that regard.

Accord?
Sort of, but not really. Definitely doesn't look as sleek and sporty as a previous gen Legacy.

Ion?
Heh, not even close! Well, maybe the coupes were sort of, but the sedan was too tall, the roofline too round, and the sides looked too slab sided. Come to think of it, it had a lot in common with the 2010 Legacy! :) It also had numerous downgrades over the S Series Saturns that it replaced. (torsion beam rear suspension, rear drum brakes, no locking fuel filler door, very cheap interior materials, etc.) So, in that regard too, the decontenting was very similar to the 2010 Legacy!

Sleek is an Alfa Romeo Brera or a Vauxhall VXR220. Those look like they're perpetually in motion. That is sleek, not something that looks like a well-worn bar of soap.
The Vauxhaull/Opel VX220 looks like a cool little roadster...different type of car entirely. The Alpha Romeo - sorry, can't get past the ugly Tribeca-like grille!

There is something to be said for understated style. I'm more of an Audi A4 or BMW 3 Series type of guy I guess - give me a sleek, compact, sporty sedan without a lot of gimmicky styling elements!

I kind of like the Ford Mondeo! I saw a bunch of 'em when I was over in Europe recently. I'm curious to see what the next-gen Mondeo based Ford Fusion looks like!

http://www.dieselstation.com/pics/Ford-Mondeo-2-litre-ECOnetic-car-wallpapers.jpg

The previous gen Legacys were completely boring, like a clay model someone formed in the late 90s that they dug up and put forward as a prototype. It has the same design theory as the first gen Taurus -- take a box, smooth it down, call it a day. It is totally uninspiring. It may be sleek, but to me it lakes purpose and looks lazy.

The funny thing is, that's how I feel about the '10 Legacy... Looks simply like a bad imitation of a Camry/Accord combo... Completely uninspiring, not sporty at all, yuck...

http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/merismus/evox/stills/gallery/6208_19.jpg

http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/merismus/gallery/c497574a.jpg

They've always had a bit of a resemblance to the Camry. The previous gen did, as well. My wife's aunt, who lives near us, has an '04 or '05 Camry, thus the same vintage as my GT. We were parked adjacent the other night, and from the rear they look quite similar. Even the trunk spoilers look a bit similar.

It's perhaps unfortunate for enthusiasts, but common for manufacturers to mimic one another. If something sells........then it works. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The trick of course is making your version stand out a bit. I'd love to have all Subarus be completely unique, racy and performance-oriented.......but they'd lose money.

The funny thing is, that's how I feel about the '10 Legacy... Looks simply like a bad imitation of a Camry/Accord combo... Completely uninspiring, not sporty at all, yuck...

I was going to express the same sentiment. The new Legy/Outback look like they were designed to be inserted where the sun don't shine. Exactly like the Camry, Malibu, etc... The prev gen Leggy was the sportiest looking car in it's class sans the Mazda6. That point is not really debatable and I have no idea where the poster is coming from.

It's a moot point anyway as the latest gen is selling much better than the previous generation which proves our point that it is a "me too" design like the Camry. Of course my co-workers think I am nuts for liking wagons even though I prove to them all the time that the CUVs they seem to like are inferior in just about every way to proper wagons.

I drove a 2005 mazda6 until this year when i got my 2010 legacy. When I was looking at the 2009 legacy I would describe it to people as a mazda6 with AWD.

I do like the 2010 styling, but the 4th gen legacy definitely had the sportier looks. I really like the extra room in my 2010 legacy more than the mazda6 and previous legacy.

It's funny that you guys argue so much about the styling, same thing happened on the mazda forum when they came out with the new mazda6. I didn't want the new mazda6 because it was too ugly, but ended up buying a new legacy that all you 4th gen legacy owners think is ugly.

A few weeks ago I was given a 2010 Legacy sedan for a loaner. I really don't pay a lot of attention to marketing targets of cars but after driving it I was telling my daughter that I prefer our OBXT and that (making an assumption on impression only) this newer Legacy was targeted toward more of a luxury and non-sport market than the LGT and OBXT. Couldn't have pointed to a Camry or anything else as the competition but now that you mention it I guess I was spot-on.

First post here!

I'm a long time legacy fan, had a 99 brighton 5-speed for about 6 years, and just got the 05.

Everyone is saying that the 05 is the best legacy. I think it looks nice, but everything I loved about Subaru is already gone in the 05, and even less present in the new legacy. The interior is like programming a computer just to get the right temperature. I have to push the moonroof button 3 times to get it all the way open. 3 TIMES!!! Not utilitarian at all. It drives like a toyota, I can't feel the road AT ALL. The suspension is squishy, it's all over the road on the freeway. I'm going to sell it and get a 2002 or 2003 gt.

Subaru doesn't need to just start designing better looking cars, they have to remember why people bought them in the first place. Utilitarian. Everything you need nothing you don't. Now it's everythig you don't need, and nothing you do. Except all wheel drive. But ho hum.

The first step to broadening the appeal should be to sell this version of the STI A-Line stateside

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/stisedan_aline_3blog.jpg

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/assets_c/2010/07/sti_aline_intblog-thumb-717x477.jpg

http://testdrive.bg/media/articles/Image/news/Subaru/A-Line/subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-a-line_9.jpg

No, they took it out to save money, and told us it was because customers didn't see the value in it.

SI Drive is still in the STI's... They took it out of the other cars for that reason... and it SUCKS. I hate it in my STI.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't own an SI-Drive-equipped vehicle, but did drive a Spec.B with it. It was rather a nuisance to have to wait until the car warmed up before putting it in Sport #. I'd rather have it in Sport # all the time. I can emulate Intelligent by modulating my right foot.

I don't own an SI-Drive-equipped vehicle, but did drive a Spec.B with it. It was rather a nuisance to have to wait until the car warmed up before putting it in Sport #. I'd rather have it in Sport # all the time. I can emulate Intelligent by modulating my right foot.

Absolutely correct ...........I NEVER use the other two settings..........just sport#. If there's a lot of stop and go , I modulate like you said -----with my right foot. (Except for the one time my wife put her handbag on top of the SI-drive button. All of a sudden I felt like I was driving a Civic ! )

Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

I thought SOA took SI-Drive out from the newer cars because it was a gimmick?

:confused:

Pshh... SOA thinks a Subaru Legacy STI is a gimmick so they don't bring it over here. Or the best part is when they think no one would ever buy an STI Legacy. Keywords: NO ONE. I think the dumping of anything should start in SOA and get more people in line with today's drivers.

Also, the JDM and USDM differing designs needs to stop as well. They should keep to the Impreza format, only small minor differences otherwise the same car.

Archived