LegacyGT.com

5MT rebuilds? who does them?

SubaruFanatic

I found a 5mt out of a 2002 wrx that needs rebuild. I am worried I will break my tranny because of power and the way I drive. So I was wondering if a 2002 5mt would fit an 05 lgt first off and second, could I also make this a 6speed? Anyone know who does them?

1) The 02 WRX 5MT won't work in your car, unless you convert to a pull-type clutch. Kind of a pain. The final drive will be wrong as well, so you'd need a new rear diff, or harvest your LGT for the transfer gears and front differential.

2) No way to make the 5MT a 6MT. Sorry :(

3) Andrewtech Automotive probably does more rebuilds than any shop in the US.

http://www.andrewtechautomotive.com

240-683-1000

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Andrewtech is one place along with these guys:

http://www.rallispec.com/

Also, avoid any 1st gen WRX trans like the plaque. Especially the 02 variants as they were the weakest across the board. They got better as they went one but even the WRX 5spd in best form isn't as good as the LGT 5spd. Either look into PPG's or a used Spec or STi 6spd if you're looking to make big power.

yes the 02 WRX will fit, and yes you CAN make the 5MT box into a 6 speed. I cant recall the company that did it, but someone does (did?) make a 6MT fill internal set that dropped into the 5MT case.

Bolksey is right though... the 02 WRX trans is a glass setup compared to the 06-07 and the 06-07 is weaker then the LGT set... so overall, it WILL work, but will be a fairly substantial step down from what you have.

so either go ahead and grab a PPG/albins gear sets or a 6 speed swap. not much is better then the LGT box that is cheap.

T

yes the 02 WRX will fit, and yes you CAN make the 5MT box into a 6 speed. I cant recall the company that did it, but someone does (did?) make a 6MT fill internal set that dropped into the 5MT case.

Bolksey is right though... the 02 WRX trans is a glass setup compared to the 06-07 and the 06-07 is weaker then the LGT set... so overall, it WILL work, but will be a fairly substantial step down from what you have.

so either go ahead and grab a PPG/albins gear sets or a 6 speed swap. not much is better then the LGT box that is cheap.

T

You need to convert to a pull-clutch to use the 02 box, and you have to scavenge the stock LGT box for the front diff and transfer gears if you actually want it to work.

I think it was Zero/Sports who built less than a handfull of 6-speed-in-5-speed-case gearsets. I've never known anyone running one, and they appear to be using a stock 5MT input shaft. It also looks as though they eliminate Reverse, or have done a lot of work to make the 5th/reverse selector "switchable". I wouldn't waste the $4500 price tag... if you can still get one.

If you wanted to go to PPG's, you'd be better off using your stock transmission as the build-point. Less drama overall.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

You sure you need to convert? On the impreza body people were able to change out any transmission and even back and forth from pull to push to get the parts they want. If I am not mistaken, as long as you have a push style clutch, fork, and master/slave setup, i don't see what the problem would be.

By all means explain it to me, because from what I saw after taking my wrx box apart, I don't see why there would be a problem.

But yeah, the wrx is a cheap fallback, but if your fear is breaking then it's not a good choice. The cheapest gearset I found was the m-factory set... But I don't care for the ratios. Ds1 said they have a 3500 gearset that will hold 400. Then the ppg and albins will hold more. Overall the 6 speed is the best choice to be honest.

OP tell us where you live. It's hard to recommend someone close if we don't know where you live.

I'm having my 5 speed done by Shawn Cassady at Best Transmissons in Springfield MA 01109 next week. 413 736 9496

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You sure you need to convert? On the impreza body people were able to change out any transmission and even back and forth from pull to push to get the parts they want. If I am not mistaken, as long as you have a push style clutch, fork, and master/slave setup, i don't see what the problem would be.

By all means explain it to me, because from what I saw after taking my wrx box apart, I don't see why there would be a problem.

But yeah, the wrx is a cheap fallback, but if your fear is breaking then it's not a good choice. The cheapest gearset I found was the m-factory set... But I don't care for the ratios. Ds1 said they have a 3500 gearset that will hold 400. Then the ppg and albins will hold more. Overall the 6 speed is the best choice to be honest.

I'm not saying you CAN'T convert. But you CAN'T just drop it in. You would need a WRX flywheel, WRX clutch, and a WRX slave cylinder. That's why I asid "You have to convert to a pull-type clutch". You HAVE to buy all of that stuff too.

Not to mention you STILL need to swap the front diff and the transfer gears.

That all makes it NOT a cheap swap.

As for trusting DS1, I wouldn't. Their reputation on Nasioc is shady at best. There have been lots of reports where they have stolen gearboxes, incorrectly built others, things like that. They even tried to claim that Porsche designed the 6MT, and that is why it was better than the 5MT. They also tried to drag Kartboy through the mud, claiming that their short shifters (exclusively) caused selector shaft seals to leak. Their "$3500" gearset that will "hold 400" will only do so until it breaks.

Albins is an interesting company, but they simply cannot hold a candle to PPG, the golden benchmark. Albins makes some neat stuff, and their manufacturing processes are really high tech, but their gears simply aren't as strong as PPG.

As for the best choice, it's all up to how you want to use it. If you are interested in drag racing, a PPG 5MT is hard to beat. The STi 6MT is a great trans for daily driving. Longer gear ratios improve your powerband.

OP tell us where you live. It's hard to recommend someone close if we don't know where you live.

I'm having my 5 speed done by Shawn Cassady at Best Transmissons in Springfield MA 01109 next week. 413 736 9496

I live on the eastern part of PA, and I haven't broken anything yet but that could be because my clutch slips before I can really bang some gears home. Anyone know how much power the stock gearbox will even hold? By the time I'm done with the car I want to be putting down about 350awhp.

Northeastern or southeastern, you can tell us your home town, don't worry we won't come over unless your buying the beer.

There are a few members here from there that might have some ideas. You should have a good shop somewhere close.

You can may ask around at body shop's that do a lot of restoration work. The guy who is doing mine is a drag racer who races Supra's and owns the well known business. Not a specialized Subaru shop but was recommended by a the Foreman at East Coast Swappers, a big Subaru Subaru aftermarket shop.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The 6MT, like a PPG 5MT, can hold more power than you'll make. Like with the 5MT, though, there are things you need to be aware of. Transfer bearings are a known weak point on those transmissions.

I live in hellertown, PA and I would really like to just do something 6mt in the future. I am not sure how much power it could hold though

Oh, hell, you're like 25mins from me.:lol:

If you're thinking of gears and/or a trans swap, check into Rallispec in NJ or a place like Precision Tuning. They have the connections and experience to do a trans swap and do it correctly.

Oh, hell, you're like 25mins from me.:lol:

If you're thinking of gears and/or a trans swap, check into Rallispec in NJ or a place like Precision Tuning. They have the connections and experience to do a trans swap and do it correctly.

your in west chester thats a little more than 25 minutes but still its nice to see some LGT's in PA

Albins is an interesting company, but they simply cannot hold a candle to PPG, the golden benchmark. Albins makes some neat stuff, and their manufacturing processes are really high tech, but their gears simply aren't as strong as PPG.

As for the best choice, it's all up to how you want to use it. If you are interested in drag racing, a PPG 5MT is hard to beat. The STi 6MT is a great trans for daily driving. Longer gear ratios improve your powerband.

From experience, Don't waste you $$ on a PPG gearset. You can do a 6MT swap for far less than it will cost you to build a box w/ PPG gears that you'll have to replace after you break a gear or two.

You can try the Albins. Their reputation is good lately. I've talked to several people and have heard 1 horror story after another about a broken PPG gear. I'd start with the 6MT swap and worry about a custom gearset if you break something in that. :cool:

I disagree almost entirely with what you've said. Talking to "several people" and looking at the total number of gearset failures are two different things. It's just as likely for a 6MT to fail, as it is for a PPG unit to fail. With a PPG unit, at least someone is there that might be able to help you cover the damages. Subaru isn't going to warranty your 6MT swap.

You COULD try Albins, but I'd let them grow before dumping your money on them. That's a big gamble to take for something that "might" pan out for the best.

If you stick with a 5MT, no one does it better than PPG. You can do your own research as to the reliability of various gearsets. Nasioc is FULL of positive and negative reviews, and I'm sure you'll quickly realize the failure rates you are dealing with.

The 6MT is a fantastic swap option, but it will NOT cost "far less" than a PPG build. Don't get fooled into believing that. The trans itself might cost less, but all of the other stuff you need adds to the cost... and you still have a used transmission of questionable integrity at the end of it.

Keep in mind, whatever you do, who builds the transmission is a HUGE factor in it's durability. There HAVE been situations where incorrectly built aftermarket gearsets have blown up. Build it wrong, nothing is going to last. It's pretty easy to tell when a failure is due to manufacturing or assembly error. I'd say 99% of the failed aftermarket gear stories I hear, show evidence of poor installation practice. For failures that are the result of manufacturing errors, they are usually taken care of with assistance of the manufacturer.

All of that said. For my Outback, when and if the time comes, it is going to be a hard decision between PPG and 6MT.

From experience, Don't waste you $$ on a PPG gearset. You can do a 6MT swap for far less than it will cost you to build a box w/ PPG gears that you'll have to replace after you break a gear or two.

You can try the Albins. Their reputation is good lately. I've talked to several people and have heard 1 horror story after another about a broken PPG gear. I'd start with the 6MT swap and worry about a custom gearset if you break something in that. :cool:

I have money that says anyone who breaks a PPG set had them incorrectly installed. Or they didn't know how to drive. And I hate to break it to you but a 6spd swap is easily 3-4K more when done correctly. Between a used trans, axles, rear diff, new clutch, flywheel, and misc. it's a lot more.

Archived