LegacyGT.com

1st gear tough to engage (MT)

GTTuner

Ok. I suck at life. I have 600 miles on the new motor and the Spec clutch. Last night I did a hard launch (the clutch hooks up great!) and on the 1-2 shift my flip/flop's got jammed under the clutch pedal for a second and I clashed the shift. I re-engagend 2nd and took off.

Now, 1st gear seems tight to engage, kind of stiffer than normal. No grinding or difficulty in any other gears. My 1-2 shifts are still like butter, as well as all other gears, just putting into 1st. No difference if the car is running or not. This AM it felt better, but still stiffer than normal.

Anyone here ever bent a shift fork or rod? I have done many 1-2 shifts over the past with much more force and fury and never had any problem. I'm hoping something in the linkage (maybe the pitch stopper needs adjustment?) but I'm not very hopeful. I think I'm going inside this tranny now. WTF!!!!

Input appreciated .

Oh, and on top of this, some moron at work Tuesday deceided to move the plow truck at work (it's 101 degrees out and the freaking plow truck gets moved, WTF!!!!) and I back my RR quarter panel into it and did voodoo damage. :mad:

Any chance you have a bit of clutch drag that is making it hard to engage 1st?

I went through a new clutch due to insufficient travel in the fork (not releasing completely). It was hitting the housing of the tranny where it pokes through. You can easily check it. Try pushing the fork toward the slave cylinder. If it moves, compressing the pin into the slave a bit and pushing the fluid up in the reservoir then all is good. Otherwise you need to make an adjustment.

Don't drive in flip flops. Start there.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

You install the pitch stopper when re-installing the engine. I don't recall any special instructions for it either, just tighten bolts to spec torque.

I just had the motor out so maybe it moved?

Yeah, Ha ha, no more flip flops :rolleyes: .

It won't fix itself overnight. So if you said it felt better in the morning, then it's probably your paranoia more than anything mechanically wrong.

If it makes you feel better, change the trans fluid with something good (motul/redline is what I always recommend).

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

It won't fix itself overnight. So if you said it felt better in the morning, then it's probably your paranoia more than anything mechanically wrong.

If it makes you feel better, change the trans fluid with something good (motul/redline is what I always recommend).

It's paranoia. I drove it yesterday and it's fine. This is what happens when you don't drive your car for 8 months.:rolleyes:

So nobody here has had shift fork/rod issues?

Yep. On my second tranny rebuild, they said they found a piece of one of the shift forks in the tail shaft housing. They replaced the main case on that rebuild.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yep. On my second tranny rebuild, they said they found a piece of one of the shift forks in the tail shaft housing. They replaced the main case on that rebuild.

OHH Great, now u say something. :lol:

Naah, I'm just not used to how notchy the shifter was in this car. I got spooked clashing 2nd gear.

i did the same thing... i'm pretty sure you and I bent a fork. its def harder to get in and out of 1st gear than it use to be and there is no throw stop on these shifteres so it would be easy to bend a fork. only way to fix it is to replace it I can still drive mine thought.

It's pretty tough to bend a fork. Usually they break (like Max Capacity said his did). Still, the only fix is replacement of the fork.

Archived