LegacyGT.com

2011 Forester to get DOHC NA H4 with timing chain

ece_tim

It's about damn time.

The new engine retains the same displacement as the outgoing mill and achieves the same 170-horsepower, but it's now packing a chain driven double overhead cam versus the belt driven single overhead cam before. The result is maximum horsepower available at a lower RPM and an additional four pound-feet of torque (to 174 lb-ft). The new 2.5-liter helps the Forester post 21 miles-per-gallon in the city and 27 mpg on the highway whether you're sporting the manual or automatic transmission. That's up one mpg versus the outgoing model.

Other changes include a new model; the Subaru 2.5XT Touring, which slots above the Limited model. Among the standard features on the Touring model are HID headlamps, backup camera and dual-zone climate control. Subaru is also adding a 2.5XT Premium model (old model was 2.5X Premium), which includes a 10-way power driver's seat, an upgraded stereo with six speakers, Bluetooth and a USB port for your iPod. Also available is a removable 4.3-inch TomTom Navigation System for directions on the cheap. Hit the jump to read over the Subaru presser if you're interested in all the details.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/01/subaru-forester-gets-new-engine-for-2011-improved-fuel-economy/

I agree, the 4EAT is a sad choice. It's probably a cost consideration by the beancounters.

Sure is. They said that the gas savings between the 5EAT and the 4 do not justify the price hike.

do the jdm/edm get the 4eat also?....or are we in the US the only ones that get it as far as non-turbo's go?

On the Forester and the Impreza (Not the STi, but the boring ones)... Those are also getting the 5MT for the gasoline engines.

The NA Legacies and Outbacks are getting the Lineartronic or 6MT for the 2.0 & 2.5 and the 5EAT for the 3.6.

Disclaimer; This is from the Swedish site, other countries may have different options.

453747.png

The real question is why did they go to chains and why just on the Forester? I think I read somewhere else that this is a "new" engine with a slightly different bore/stroke.

They are probably trying to streamline the manufacturing process a bit to save on expenses.

How does this new design streamline the manufacturing process?

By the fact that it is not the first and only timing-chain Boxer? If you already are using a timing chain design, why not migrate it over to your entire line, if it makes financial sense? I'm not saying I am holding the absolute truth in my hand as far as the reasons behind this change, I offered an opinion.

The H6 and the diesel are already using chain, so it is in itself nothing new.

However since it is a change of construction there would probably be other changes too to keep up with competitors in engine technology. More efficient engines - lower emissions etc. so it's possible that we will see direct injection.

453747.png

I agree, if they change all their engines over to a chain design they could possibly reduce costs. I don't know, just seems like a kinda odd move to me. Should be a plus for the consumer.

A chain is more reliable and makes a more compact engine. It may be a tad more expensive to manufacture an engine with a chain, but these days people also look at maintenance costs for the car and a belt change do cost money. And a blown engine due to a failed belt isn't cheap either so in the long run it may end up being cheaper with the chain.
453747.png

And with the chain you miss out on the $800 belt replacement @ 100 K

At least Subaru doesn't follow Mitsu's schedule. Just had the wife's 2007 Outlander's 60k service done and was shocked by the $1k bill until I saw that the timing belt is on the 60k schedule. That one hurt.

I want a damn chain. In fact, one of the selling 'points' that the dealership pointed out on my 08 lgt was that the legacy used a timing chian, which I found out, later, was only the 3.0R.

grrrrr

Jeez, that's sad.

Yep the H-6 has always had a chain, at least since it's re-inception for the 2001 Outback H-6 3.0 (my wife has one). I'm not sure if the SVX had a chain, but it probably did.

The GT DOHC 2.5L is not a timing chain. The SOHC motor shouldn't be either.

At this time, only the 2011 normally aspirated Forester appears to have a timing chain.

Anyone really have a solid reason WHY the Legacy GT (imo the flagship sedan of subaru) has a belt instead of a chain if the h-6 does too?

Subaru takes a long time to update the core technology in their drivetrains.

Proof:

4-speed automatic standard on several models

5-speed auto only available in limited models, and not on any NA motors

CVT only offered beginning 2010

Mediocre at best fuel economy

No direct injection (though that's not necessarily a bad thing, Subaru is still behind the curve)

But considering the relative value (especially in models like the LGT and WRX), top safety ratings, standard AWD and general reliability (more so on the NA motors IMO), it's not a terrible tradeoff.

And the Legacy GT is anything but the flagship of Subaru's line up. Not from a performance perspective, nor really any other. The Outback/Forester are the mass market "flagships" and the STi of course the performance flagship, with the WRX being the more attainable option. The Legacy is a niche. Most buyers don't go to Subaru for the Legacy, rather it is a sedan option for those who want Subaru but don't want an SUV, wagon or boy racer car.

In the end, we're talking small peanuts anyway. Subaru has 2% of the U.S. auto market.

Archived