LegacyGT.com

2011 Forester to get DOHC NA H4 with timing chain

ece_tim

See it the other way - by not being first with a technology they let others take the main impact on things going wrong.

I can agree that the 4-speed auto should go, but so should any "stepped" auto these days since the CVT is a far better alternative when it comes to efficiency.

453747.png

The GT DOHC 2.5L is not a timing chain. The SOHC motor shouldn't be either.

At this time, only the 2011 normally aspirated Forester appears to have a timing chain.

Thanks for the post, but I'm a little concerned because i'm planning to buy a legacy, and coming from a G35 sedan. I'm going for the legacy because I love the fact you can get manual in both the regular 2.5i or 2.5 GT (correct of if i'm wrong got this from the dealer) and it's AWD. I've done some research on AWD systems and found that Subaru has a good offering and more importantly it's a true AWD system when you get the manual. Going back to that concern, I'm not clear why they did not use a chain in the engine, given the GT is geared for performance. It's really a minor thing but kind of bugs me because I would later need to replace it as compared to timing chain is generally the life of the engine (i know it's arguable...)

Oh yea, I live in the great north so we get a fair bit of snow, and I'm getting lazy digging myself out of the snow driving my RWD. In final I really love the functionality of the Subaru offerings and built to last.

(sorry for the long post...)

Change the belt according to the service internal, or a bit earlier for your own piece of mind, and you shouldn't have any issues. If premature timing belt failures were a problem, we'd hear a lot more about them on this board. Generally only the people with problems go online to talk about them, and to my knowledge that is not an issue that is discussed here!

And I don't know if you can get a 5-speed on the 2.5i with the 2010/2011 models. You used to be able to get one on the pre-2010 models with the 2.5i, but NOT with the Premium package. So if you want leather and all the goodies on a 2.5i, you're stuck with the 4-speed auto.

I assume Mitsu's are up in your area. Look at some of Mitsubishi's offerings as well. The Ralliart uses the Evo IX's AWD system, which is really damn good. The Mitsu turbo motors are also bulletproof, unlike Subaru's IMO.

The Lancer Ralliart uses the 4G63, so yes ;) But the Evo X is another story. It is relatively unknown and I don't know as much about it. I'm more familiar with the Evo VII/IX since a good friend has one.

I think that the biggest issue we do have with the Subie engines is the infamous Banjo Bolt...

Other issues are oil return line from turbo, oil pickup tube and weak stock clutch. But none of the issues are really a large problem.

453747.png

I think that the biggest issue we do have with the Subie engines is the infamous Banjo Bolt...

Other issues are oil return line from turbo, oil pickup tube and weak stock clutch. But none of the issues are really a large problem.

And the piston ringlands are a common failure point. While they themselves may not fail "often," they are a weak point in the motor. There's been at least once case of a bone stock motor failing with low miles.

Archived