LegacyGT.com

Stealthback?

bluereserve

I am looking to basically get a turboback exhaust system but leaving the stock mufflers. There was a something called a stealthback for the WRX, is there anything like this for the legacy?

What are the parts called that go from the downpipe to the mufflers? Is it just a Y-Pipe or is there another small section there as well?

downpipe -> mid-pipe -> Y-pipe -> axlebacks

There are still a few manufacturers (AVO and X02 to name a couple) who make mid/y-pipes that will bolt up to the stock mufflers. Perrin and Cobb will also bolt up, but they no longer make them. You can find used ones for sale in the classified section.

perrin or cobb to a stock axle back works and sounds decent.

Also my previous set up of a megan quad tipped exhuast is very very subtle in terms of sound and has the TL type S kinda stock look. Smaller quad tipped.

http://www.th3forgott3n.com/gallery/albums/EP_l/EP016_l/normal_EP016_030_l.jpg

I am looking to basically get a turboback exhaust system but leaving the stock mufflers. There was a something called a stealthback for the WRX, is there anything like this for the legacy?

What are the parts called that go from the downpipe to the mufflers? Is it just a Y-Pipe or is there another small section there as well?

Get an aftermarket downpipe and install it with the stock CBE. Then go to a muffler shop and ask them to make you a 3" midpipe tapering to either 2.25" or 2.5" at the Y, and have them keep the stock mufflers. I would purchase a 3" tube style resonator and show up with it and ask them to put it in the midpipe they make for you (trust me you want that resonator).

I spent $250 at a local shop to have this done. They used aluminized steel but its holding up just fine and does the job. All welds were painted.

Get an aftermarket downpipe and install it with the stock CBE. Then go to a muffler shop and ask them to make you a 3" midpipe tapering to either 2.25" or 2.5" at the Y, and have them keep the stock mufflers. I would purchase a 3" tube style resonator and show up with it and ask them to put it in the midpipe they make for you (trust me you want that resonator).

I spent $250 at a local shop to have this done. They used aluminized steel but its holding up just fine and does the job. All welds were painted.

Thanks for the tips, now can you elaborate on why I want the resonator? Too raspy without it?

Thanks for the tips, now can you elaborate on why I want the resonator? Too raspy without it?

ooooh yea.

Someone cut the resonator out of their stock CBE and welded in a straight pipe. Sounded like CRAP in my opinion.

I have a megan racing 3" resonator that is about 20" long if I could guess. Sounds great with the stock cans. Really quiet but when you are on it, it sounds mean. Its still really quiet though. Quietest CBE I have owned/heard.

Sounds great that is exactly the kind of sound I am looking for!

this style of resonator is what I used:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1792-Bottle-Style-Resonator/dp/B000E3VHVO/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1278079875&sr=1-5]Amazon.com: Vibrant 1792 Bottle Style Resonator: Automotive[/ame]

but mine was a megan racing product scrapped from an old CBE setup.

Talk to the local "tuner" and automotive crowd and find a muffler shop that knows what they are doing and is recommended. Then, just show up with your resonator and they will make it happen. The shop I went to had all the flanges needed.

Archived