LegacyGT.com

Plug and play HID kit?

Zac88

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did mine without removing the battery. Where can I purchase dust caps? I called the dealer and they said they only sell the whole headlight.. wtf? should I contact fredbeans :)

That dealer is just brushing you off :mad::( - anything with a proper part number, such as these dust caps, can be purchased a-la-carte (although if you went through a dealership, they may well charge you MSRP or above, instead of the on-line retail parts dealers, which will typically discount).

Search "Subaru parts" using Google, and just pick your favorite. :)

The part-number you're looking for should be 84953AG060, "Cover, Headlamp, R/L," listing at $4.15 each (2004/5 dollars, that is). For your dealer's parts department representative :mad::(, who really should be reprimanded for being so lazy as to not look up the part for you as well as, if laziness was not his/her problem, then in being so ignorant as to not know that this is an obtainable replacement component, the item appears on the central panel of page 958, in publication asdn2_g03. And yes, many of us here in this community - myself included - have ordered this part, a-la-carte.

This is the kind of crap that gives dealerships and their service/parts department representatives a bad name.

oh now my light output is kind of like a wide "U". any pointers on how to adjust it?

Like MiniStiGuy said, check bulb placement. You likely do not have them nested properly.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

The part-number you're looking for should be 84953AG060, "Cover, Headlamp, R/L," listing at $4.15 each (2004/5 dollars, that is). For your dealer's parts department representative :mad::(, who really should be reprimanded for being so lazy as to not look up the part for you as well as, if laziness was not his/her problem, then in being so ignorant as to not know that this is an obtainable replacement component, the item appears on the central panel of page 958, in publication asdn2_g03. And yes, many of us here in this community - myself included - have ordered this part, a-la-carte.

This is the kind of crap that gives dealerships and their service/parts department representatives a bad name.

Like MiniStiGuy said, check bulb placement. You likely do not have them nested properly.

Oh good you found the number. I got mine via FB. they had to send me a diagram to find the #. see for a cheep $8+ drill, its easy...

DDM Tuning kit installed.

It didn't light up the first time. Realized I flipped the power on the ballast, since the plug works in both directions, I actually flipped both ballasts.

While investigating this issue, I realized the root cause of all of this (passenger side bulb not firing) was due to a blow FUSE!! Arghh...my fogs worked fine, so I thought the fuse would be fine.

So I bought the DDM tuning kit for no reason at all.

Anyways, its not all bad. I went from a 35W 5000k setup that lasted for 4 years to a 55W 4500k setup, and these lights are BRIGHT. Def a good buy, esp for 50 bucks.

Also, the DDM tuning wiring makes it almost impossible to use stock routing locations. The spade connectors work just fine, but the big plug that goes to the ballast has no hope of making through the stock grommet location. You have to drill the cap. The DDM tuning grommet fits a 1" drill hole perfectly. To get the big plug from the ballast through, you may have to remove this weird "clip" on the plug. I can't discern any purpose for this clip, as it doesn't seem to plug into anything. Anyways, after taking that out, you can squeeze the plug through the hole in the dust cap no problems. Feel free to reattach the clip if you want to on the other side of the dust cap.

Oh and no way in hell you're filling in the squirrel finders with the headlights on the car. The angle just isn't right. You have to bake em and split em open. Needless to say, I didn't do that, meh.

how are you guys keeping condensation out of the headlights? I am having a hell of a time with my setup, and they keep condensating. Ive tried even sealing them with siliconized latex, but no luck whatsoever. I did drill my dustcaps, with a 1 1/4 hole saw and dust caps are installed perfectly with rubber gromet fitting perfectly.

i used a 3/4" bit when i did mine and then just filed thema little at a time until i could get the bulbs through (actually, it was the plugs that were trickier) ive had no condensation at all even on nights when i couldnt keep the windows from fogging up inside and out

• 2 weeks later...
I used a 1-1/8 bit and it worked fine just used some silicone to fill it. DDM kits work awsome very easy to install and super cheap price. And dont be afraid to lay down a lot of tape for the low beam connectors a little extra wouldnt hurt

Archived