LegacyGT.com

Plug and play HID kit?

Zac88

I'm running 55w HIDs and I think they are a little overkil. Once a week I'll get flashed by on coming traffic because of what I assume are my bright ass HIDs. I'm gonna pick up a set of 35w ones and see how I like them.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Try aligning your headlights first before you bother spending more money to switch. There is a sticky in the exterior section for aligning.

Yea, mine are aligned right. The problem is also that the lights are so bright that it makes everything in the dark not visible. Kind of like standing under a very bright street light and trying see what's lingering in the dark.

^ my friend has 55W and they are bright as hell. i have the 35W and they are perfect IMO. i have a good and low cut off and it didnt even need to align the lights after my install. while his are pointed all the way down and its freakin bright.

Well if you have any questions you can always ask any of us. Choose TSI first though because he loves to type uselessly long and verbose posts!

:lol:

FIXORED! :p:redface::lol:

I'm such a slacker/busy person.. :spin:

True, true. :p:lol::wub:

----

@ peterjmc -

Are you sure your lights aren't aimed to high though?

In addition to double-checking, peter, you can also try aiming just a *slight* tad lower. That may help the "flicker" glare, when your car dips/rises from roadway imperfections.

:)

----

thanks for the response. I will just buy a set of replacement caps and drill it. I just want it to look oem:rolleyes: and not worry about condensation because of the hole I drilled.

The condensation thing is weird.

I actually have two extra holes in each of my headlamp assemblies, and despite being here in the harsh winters of NE-Ohio, I have *never* gotten condensation inside the assembly.

I'm almost wondering if I'm not "venting" - allowing any moisture to come to equilibrium fast enough that I don't get condensation/fogging..... :confused: If that's the case, it was totally unintentional.

But in your case, Woodstock, certainly, it won't look as OEM as a no-drill solution, but it's soooooooo much easier than pulling the bumper skin and lamps (well, unless you're one of us mad light modders, that is, since we've pulled our setups so many times :lol:) - just seal the grommet with some RTV or silicone, you'll be good-to-go and fully weathertight.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ Hey, I only tell the truth! :lol::);)

---

I have 2x 55w (I just bought 1kit and they sent 2kits, maybe its buy one, get one deal :D) I hope it won't be too bright as you guys stated

My LGT is slightly lowered (iONs on stock struts/shocks), and I usually don't have any back passengers outside of Anna - and she's less than 1/5 my weight, even counting her child-seat. :lol: That, combined with both unadjusted true-aim from stock ride-height and a light coat of LaserVEIL G4 (actually the primary reason why I sought to finally switch from slight-overwattage halogen-incandescent to HID) all makes it so that oncoming traffic was never offended, even before I plugged the squirrel-finders.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

DDM 55W 4500k kit ftw well im running 5000k's right now but too blue for my taste, i think the 4500k's would be tit, just make sure you cover up the squirrel finders as the 55w are really bright, and with no auto leveling it can really be a nuisance to the car in front of you while going over small hills.

^ That could be the case - unknown for-certain.

It's worth a try, certainly, but even while I did not have those squirrel-finders filled/covered, I still never elicited a reaction from opposing drivers.

Nevertheless, there could also be a difference between my "output" and yours, as well as between our driving situations that's sufficient enough, even by itself, to cause the difference.

Hard to say. :(

---

hmmmm... which one is easier, removal of bumper and headlight or removal of the FMIC pipes on the driver side? :(

I checked and the FMIC pipes are on top of the battery *cry*

Doh.....

Hard to say as well.

I think it would depend on the particular FMIC setup, and just how much of the FMIC pipework needs to be displaced (not necessarily removed) to gain access to what you need to get the job done.

That would depend totally on your wiring run as well as how much room *you* need in order to install the bulbs (remembering that the caps will be removed, to-drill).

Can't tell ya, unless I am ya. :)

...a how-to for a typical add-on wiring harness hook-up. I have that bookmarked on another computer and will return to this thread to redirect. :)

Sorry this is so late in coming, I'd forgotten about this. :redface:

A conversation with a friend, today, reminded me:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ddm-apexcone-hid-kit-installation-questions-101872.html?t=101872&highlight=hid+harness

:)

^ I don't know that you can, on the BL/BP. I haven't tried to do it that way here, and that's mainly because I'm very comfortable at the shake-and-bake. :)

But for the sake of discussion:

There are on-line guides/walk-throughs from other communities where owners were able to, on their vehicles, use a "ship in the bottle" technique of inserting the filler material through the endcap/bulb-base area while manipulating it with a "stick" or other such implement. I actually did my tail-light rear-fog install partially that way, and the key to remember here is that to be successful, you'll need both decent leverage to press the material into whatever it is that you're filling while still being able to break-off whatever implement it is that you're using to achieve positioning with.

IIRC, with the way the BL/BP's headlamps are set up, I don't know that you can gain sufficient access to the squirrel-finder via such a method, given the overlying slanted shield. My spare headlamps are in the garage, and they're rather hard to get to...so I'm doing this from sheer recall. :redface: Similarly, I don't know, if the above is not possible, then whether it would be possible to sufficiently disassemble and extract the reflector-bowl components of the headlamp from "behind," to allow sufficient access to the shield so that "baking" can be spared. Dangit, I now *really* wish I'd paid more attention, there, but I was so one-track minded. :redface:

What I also seem to remember is that it should be possible for you to push "down" that overlying flap. However, what I don't know - given my limited knowledge - is how this effort to seal the squirrel finder may otherwise affect beam pattern, given the displacement of that portion of the shield. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge, like MiniStiGuy or the like, can help fill in the blanks there, no pun intended. :)

Does anyone have pics of 5k vs 4.5k @ 55w. My passenger side blew and I am at 5k @ 35w on an old xtec kit. I am looking to get a new set and want to know if I should go with 4.5k this time around.

i will do a comparo shot, i need to order new dust caps before i replace my 5000k's with 4500k's. then i will post pics.

I did mine without removing the battery. Where can I purchase dust caps? I called the dealer and they said they only sell the whole headlight.. wtf? should I contact fredbeans :)

oh now my light output is kind of like a wide "U". any pointers on how to adjust it?

Archived