LegacyGT.com

Downpipes, downpipes,..

PLTek

the cobb hasn't even been released yet, so no user dyno numbers exist yet, and even if they did, it's unlikely they would make for an accurate comparison of downpipes given the number of variables involved. if you do a search you will see there are advocates of the three major designs of dps, so there is no consensus really. if you want one with a cat, obviously the perrin is out.
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Sandwood is right, the first shipment of COBB will get to me next thursday so no way anyone compared. If you only install a downpipe, your hp increase will not be that significant.

Then there are theories about which dp is better divorced wastegate, v bellmouth v. Lachute which is not a complete bellmouth. Then people debate wether the cat should be in the upper section of the dp vs lower section.

It all boils down to the total of upgrades you have and ultimately stapling them with an awesome tune, thats where you really see the difference. Same set up will result in different dyno results with different tuning styles.

No set up and tune is ever the same.

I hope this helps

Best

PS

PLTek,llc

I guess in the design of the dp, there must be one design that will end up being better than the other in the long run,..

I mean, since in an exhaust we are looking for the most free flow, wouldnt a bellmouth be the best since later full 3" catbacks or other 3" tbe are what we are ultimately looking for??

Ive heard that the uppipe isnt as dramatic a change in hp as the dp would be too,..

I guess its too early since the GT came out in 05 to really get a concensus on these performance parts,..Im still browsing I-Club and their reviews as the LGT review forums has much to be desired,..

Thanks

the main function of the aftermarket dp is to eliminate the flow restriction caused by the cats, freeing up the exhaust gas from wastegate is secondary. In fact the stock dp flange blocks the wastegate totaly, so any wider opening there is an improvement over stock.

Best

PS

I'm new to the forum and don't have alot of time to surf. I have an 05 gt at with AP. Is the downpipe really the minimum purchase? Also which brand would you recommend? Economy is an issue but not everything. Thankyou very much. Jay Jay

hi Welcome,

To get you to stage2, you will need a downpipe at a minimum eventhough the COBB maps are done with a full TBE exhaust.

You can always get a streettuner or protuner tune later on to maximize your power (safely of course) with the mods you have, gas you use, altitude you are at, etc.

Best DP for that is COBB since they use it to do the tune.

I hope this helps

Best

PS

PLTek,llc

Thankyou for your reply. It does make sense to stick with COBB since you put it that way. I would like to apologize in advance for posting the same question twice. I'm afraid I'm still stuck in th 80s and have little computor savy.:confused: Jay Jay

yes, it does from using the COBB maps that come with the AP. If you plan on getting your car custom tuned in the future, you can really use any downpipe out there.

Rock on and enjoy your car

Best

Peter

PLtek,llc

It does make sense to stick with COBB

There is an element of logic/peace of mind/playing it safe involved with using a Cobb DP with the AP - but in fairness, neither Trey or Justin (@ Cobb) ever even got close to hinting at not using anything but Cobb. (I don't think Peter is saying that either.) The guys running Lachutes and Perrins aren't dead on the side of the road. And Peter's got a number of DPs that would work.

I am charging the credit cards as we speak, I will generate shipping labels tomorrow morning and when the "brown" shows up, I should be able to ship a few out tomorrow, latest on monday my friends.

I got a few more unspoken for, next shipment not in for 4-6 weeks.

I also have my own shorty downpipes coming out. It will look identical to Lachute with 02 bong retail 249, should be ready in 2-3 weeks, FOR SURE (: It is the beginning of the FLOW series of exhausts.

Best everyone.

Peter Sz

PLtek,llc

I also have my own shorty downpipes coming out. It will look identical to Lachute with 02 bong retail 249, should be ready in 2-3 weeks, FOR SURE (: It is the beginning of the FLOW series of exhausts.

Best everyone.

Peter Sz

PLtek,llc

Will these be available for the MT and 5EAT?

dhawk

WHen I spoke to COBB on Friday, they said that their downpipes for auto version should be available in 3-4 weeks.

I also just received the new Perrin pricelist and a downpipe for Auto as well as mufflers and catback exhaust have appeared and have prices so, that product should hopefully become available soon

PS

PLtek,llc

haha, My GF is in NH right now visiting family....my downpipe is scheduled for friday delivery, She Gets BACK on thursday night...DAMN!...

haha, guess i cant hide this one!?!

~Sucka-Duck~

Archived