LegacyGT.com

Yellow Fogs

Brock Samson

^ '08-'09s use 9006, IIRC. But regardless of '05-'07 or '08-'09, the factory optics is the limiting factor in light output.

You can gain more usable white-light, if backscatter/glare is not an issue (i.e. you don't drive in truly dense-fog situation), by switching out to HIR1, which will only be a slight-overwattage. In that case, you may also wish to re-aim to suit your end-purpose.

Look at the "off-prescription" usage that I described here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2990576&postcount=38

Remember, just because it says "fog lights" doesn't mean that it's necessarily optimized for such - nor does it mean that the usage is so narrow as to limit it as such. Be smart in how you choose to use what we're given from Subaru, and play *with* the handicap, instead of against it. ;)

In terms of a film versus a yellow bulb? It's really just end-user's preference. A yellow bulb would allow your front end to not have the amber/yellow always there, which may be an aesthetic must-have for some - a film may be able to serve as good rock/debris protection, which may be more important for others.

And if you're seeking the use of yellow/amber because you do face "true fog" scenarios?

Look at the cited literature in the referenced post above: just because you *think* you're "seeing better" - that enhanced subjective driver comfort/confidence - doesn't mean that you're *actually* driving better. Also, remember that your forward lighting capabilities will be limited to about only 30 to 50 ft., at-best, under such inclement conditions, and you should adjust road-speed not only to match that true visibility, (and not your perceived visibility), but also to remember that your forward lighting is really limited under such conditions, and that you're more reliant on the vehicle forward of you having sufficient rearward lighting to avoid disaster.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

i run ddm hids in my fogs with yellow lamin-x film.

the lamin-x film has done a good job of protecting the lens which are vulnerable down that low

very happy with the results - was not so happy with the stock 55w H3 halogen bulbs... they left a lot to be desired.

i run ddm hids in my fogs with yellow lamin-x film.

the lamin-x film has done a good job of protecting the lens which are vulnerable down that low

very happy with the results - was not so happy with the stock 55w H3 halogen bulbs... they left a lot to be desired.

Yep, the factory 55W H3 is rather dim. :( I also went with a 35W 3000K HID for a little while, but given my NE-Ohio wintertime use, I found that there wasn't enough heat produced to effectively self-clear: so I switched back to my 85W halogen incandescent setup. :)

Like I said before, there's all kinds of reasons to use the fogs, and as long as your end-results suits your usage needs, it's all good. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

my friend is going to give me an extra set of yellow bulbs he uses on his 08 STI, they were the same size... fortunate for me!

i used laminex film on my 07 tsx and it started to burn the film!! anyone have any problems with heat being emitted from the actual fog ligts?

^ With factory-wattage or with HIR1, that should not be a problem.

Any higher, though, would be an unknown in terms of how the LaminX or other such films may interact....either in terms of itself (i.e. will it "melt" to the lens?) or in terms of the factory fogs' physical structure.

Overwattage bulb use for fogs is quite well documented in the '05-'07 BL/BPs, but for the '08-'09s it's less well known.

Damn TSi+WRX...you pop up everywhere here! I think your advice may be super useful here too.

I don't run into true fog, really at all. I would be using my foglights to help give extra definition in snowy conditions- and I kinda like the look of yellows. :lol:

Ultimately I'm really more interested in performance though- throwing more light downrange and getting good definition in snow. DDM HID's? Is there an HIR bulb that fits?

Damn TSi+WRX...you pop up everywhere here! I think your advice may be super useful here too.

I talk too much. :redface::)

I don't run into true fog, really at all. I would be using my foglights to help give extra definition in snowy conditions- and I kinda like the look of yellows. :lol:

Ultimately I'm really more interested in performance though- throwing more light downrange and getting good definition in snow. DDM HID's? Is there an HIR bulb that fits?

Whether or not there's an easy HIR fitment for you depends on what your end-choice of LGTs is going to be. If you end up with one that uses the 9006 bulb for that application, then it's a very simple modification. Otherwise, There Will be Blood. :lol:

That's actually how I use fogs, too - NE-Ohio where I am rarely see fog or true-blizzard/white-out conditions, so my fogs are set up to aid lane and curb delineation when there's snow falling or lots of that brown/black slush crap on the streets. Given that my driving environment is urban/dense-suburban, ambient lighting is usually more than sufficient to guaranty good forward vision at-distances (which is aided by the low speed limits for such streets), and that further allows me to set up and use my fogs in this very specific and special way.

Just remember that there will be compromises, when it comes to true-fog or in denser snowfall.

If you're looking for "yellow," though, unless you want to pair HIRs with a film overlay, you won't get that look, as currently, to the best of my knowledge, all HIRs are "white light" standard incandescent halogens.

3000K HIDs will indeed throw a very yellow/amber light - but my problem with the 35W kit that I had was that it didn't generate enough forward-heat, which meant that the low-stationed fogs didn't have the ability to self-clear by "burning through" adhered snow/slush from drifts, etc. This, more than anything else given my stated usage needs, brought me back to my 85W halogen-incandescent H3, which provided about the same light output as the 35W HID, but generated noticeably more heat. Additionally, my usage (practice) of fogs meant that the slow burn-in time of the HIDs was also near-unacceptable.

TSi, they should make you a mod for this section. Anytime you're in here, it's always good advice and far from being BS. I was considering just getting a cheap HID kit for them in 3000K but after reading your post on burn in times and how often I don't use them, I might be better off getting a quality HIR1 bulb and an overlay. With PA's quality roads (:lol:), the film will do nothing but aid in surface protection. And I like the look of yellow fogs so it's kinda win/win.

TSi, they should make you a mod for this section. Anytime you're in here, it's always good advice and far from being BS.

:redface: A Mod's job is not knowledge/know-how, but to moderate, and unfortunately, although I've been approached in the past, I simply don't have the time to dedicate to this Forum for me to be able to justify wearing that title. :redface:

And as for the advice, I simply try to relate what I know - but my own knowledge is far from comprehensive, and I rely heavily on the experience and guidance of our fellow brothers and sisters here, as well as known "gurus." I try to condense/package what's already out there, that's all: I can't take credit for that! :redface::)

I was considering just getting a cheap HID kit for them in 3000K but after reading your post on burn in times and how often I don't use them,

The burn-in is a concern for me because of my very selective use of fogs. I can count the times that I used my fogs last year, likely on just one hand. With that kind of selectivity, which usually happens after I'm already on-the-road and underway, I need a system that "comes up now," when I decide to use it: to deliver light, immediately, much like, say, the use of high-beams - and the low initial output combined with burn-in time of HIDs serving as this purpose simply wasn't doing it for me.

But again, this is an individual concern - what's just not viable for me and you may not be a concern, at all, for another. Each person has got to assess his/her usage in an honest and accurate manner, so as to compliment it with the best possible lighting.

I might be better off getting a quality HIR1 bulb and an overlay. With PA's quality roads (:lol:), the film will do nothing but aid in surface protection. And I like the look of yellow fogs so it's kinda win/win.

^ Indeed, that truly might be your best-bet. :)

I'm the same way. I don't really turn them on until it either is quite foggy or snowing/raining heavily. Otherwise, they just sit there but it would be nice to have. I was also considering a pack of Phillips Xtreme Power 9006's for the fogs since they're seldom used and getting HIR's the high beams. The Xtreme's are $10-15 less than a pair of HIR's and for what I would use it for, I would rather lose a little light output and put that money toward bulbs I would use which would be the high beams.

^ Sounds like a plan.

The Phillips are among the best of the breed, currently. Let us know how it all pans out! :)

^ Sounds like a plan.

The Phillips are among the best of the breed, currently. Let us know how it all pans out! :)

*Update* Recieved and installed my Lamix-X overlays yesterday. They look good, IMO. Better than the clear lens from factory. Now to buy those Phillips bulbs. Anyone have tips on getting to the passenger side bulb on an 08-09? Driver's side is easily visible but not so much for passenger.

*Update* Recieved and installed my Lamix-X overlays yesterday. They look good, IMO. Better than the clear lens from factory. Now to buy those Phillips bulbs. Anyone have tips on getting to the passenger side bulb on an 08-09? Driver's side is easily visible but not so much for passenger.

While you're at it, can someone post some pictures of how to remove/adjust the fogs in an 08-09. I looked under mine, but couldn't figure out what to do with anything.

• 2 months later...
While you're at it, can someone post some pictures of how to remove/adjust the fogs in an 08-09. I looked under mine, but couldn't figure out what to do with anything.

I'm thinking you need the remove the bumper cover to access any mounting points. It should just be a few screws or bolts holding it in place. It didn't look complicated the last time my cover was off.

• 3 months later...

Archived