LegacyGT.com

Cyl 2 misfire at idle

So, now your injectors are a bit larger (about 565vs520) Was the pull from my map? If so, the numbers are pretty decent, for the weather. Check your email

? I thought they were the same? They look identical. I only replaced one injector with an STi one. Problem?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't read the whole thread so I apologize if this has been suggested already. Get some NGK spark plugs. I had Bosch previously and they misfired all the time especially when cold when it warmed up they didn't seem to do it.

I just did this last month:lol: I feel bad...I could have helped you out (you being practically next door and all).

I had the same injector problem - bought a new oem from fredbeans for about a hundred bucks and fixed it. Took the other injector to someone to have it tested out, and it was leaking...it was more prevalent in a warm car (low idle) than a cold car (higher idle) and was almost undetectable at higher RPM or during a pull. Also noticed a slight bit of popping noise on my exhaust when idling.

The good thing about the whole mess was I had hoped it was spark plugs (65k miles on the originals) and it got me to change them...neither plugs or injectors were all that fun to replace on this car...makes me miss the inline 4 of an evo, or even my old is300's straight six.

Your learning view and data logging looked fine. No timing pulled, not running lean. And your power curve looked smooth. From what I've read, they tend to flow a bit higher than just 500cc (503cc according to the stock rom). In the range of 503-535cc from different tests. If that helps you at all.

Your learning view and data logging looked fine. No timing pulled, not running lean. And your power curve looked smooth. From what I've read, they tend to flow a bit higher than just 500cc (503cc according to the stock rom). In the range of 503-535cc from different tests. If that helps you at all.

Yeah, the data all looks good; but it also just shows the total output of all 4 cylinders combined. One could be off and the others could be fine and it may not register. That's what i'm scared of.

Did some more driving this afternoon and it still feels fine. Even the exhaust sounds like the pulses are consistent and even. So if there is a variance, it's not major. I still have two more STi injectors. Think I should keep things the same, or swap out two more LGT injectors and run 3 STi + 1 LGT injector? (Note- I don't know the STi injectors are 100% good, but the seller said they were fine when removed. The 4th one, which I did not buy, had failed on him).

I just did this last month:lol: I feel bad...I could have helped you out (you being practically next door and all).

I had the same injector problem - bought a new oem from fredbeans for about a hundred bucks and fixed it. Took the other injector to someone to have it tested out, and it was leaking...it was more prevalent in a warm car (low idle) than a cold car (higher idle) and was almost undetectable at higher RPM or during a pull. Also noticed a slight bit of popping noise on my exhaust when idling.

The good thing about the whole mess was I had hoped it was spark plugs (65k miles on the originals) and it got me to change them...neither plugs or injectors were all that fun to replace on this car...makes me miss the inline 4 of an evo, or even my old is300's straight six.

Try changing injectors on a GM 3400 V6...or the rear spark plugs :lol: I'm glad you finally figured it out. Sounds almost identical to my problem. I'm just glad I was able to find these STi injectors in a hurry.

Isn't that something you could log to make sure that isn't happening?

The catch is that the injectors are pulse-width modulated with the same pulse width sent to all injectors (but at different time slots), so even if they have the same spec they may vary a bit. Like 850cc:s may vary between 845cc to 855cc (or whatever tolerances allows for). And if you mix old and new injectors the old ones may have drifted to one side even more.

And since the O2 sensors are located where the exhaust is mixed from all cylinders you can't really tell if a cylinder is running fat or lean. You may be able to get a hint by reading the spark plugs, but that isn't easy and will only give a good indication if you have large differences between the cylinders.

To be able to tune each cylinder you would need to have an O2 sensor for each cylinder exhaust.

One other advantage is that if the injectors are matched the ECU will be able to give a better mixture in all cylinders which in turn will give you more power - and a lower fuel consumption. Think of it as a horse with a limp - it's not as fast or as strong as a horse without a limp.

453747.png

So i'm thinking about picking up a set from Deatschwerks / Fred Beans. They have 740 and 850cc injectors listed for an LGT, but they have 550cc injectors listed for an 04-06 STi, and for much cheaper. I don't intend to upgrade my turbo or anything, and i'd like to keep my MPG gauge as close to accurate as possible. So do you guys think the 550cc ones for the STi are my best bet?

Joel, you of all people should be running a matched set of injectors!

Whys that? I'm stock...selling the car this week.:lol:

My problem started when I switched from DW850s to the stock yellow Pieces of crap, and flashed back to stage 2. It sucked particularly bad because I had just removed an AVO fuel pump, vf40-18g, and AVO TMIC in addition to the injectors and I had no clue what was giving me the problem. It was more difficult to go back to stock than it was to go stage 3...

WHAT!!?? Why?! Your car is beautiful! :wub:

The Wife Can't Drive It.

It breaks too often, and then I can't drive it

...It's time to go.

With the way Subaru builds a car these days, I may never go back. Sad too....I loved the 2 my family owned when we lived in Alaska, and the one I had in Montana. I'll stick around of course - This community is so good:)

The Wife Can't Drive It.

It breaks too often, and then I can't drive it

...It's time to go.

With the way Subaru builds a car these days, I may never go back. Sad too....I loved the 2 my family owned when we lived in Alaska, and the one I had in Montana. I'll stick around of course - This community is so good:)

Try owning a GM :eek:

Think it could have been from the Stg3 stuff? This is my first Subaru. I'm from a GM family.

A large part of my problems started before the stage 3 stuff. It's quite a list, but most of the problems even happened before I went stage 2.5 (DW850s, AVO fuel pump, AVO TMIC + e85). I figured I already had all the supporting mods, might as well buy a new turbo...Got it on there, and things started going down hill again (rear differential related). Within 2 weeks, everything got removed, and I started looking at replacement vehicles. It was fun to drive, but I got tired of worrying about things breaking.

In the end, I barely got 330whp on e85+18g. It blows my mind how some members cars last really well, especially with power mods, and others members have so many problems. I really hope yours is trouble free.

By the way - i'm from an all Subaru / Toyota / Honda family... I probably have a lesser tolerance to mechanical malfunctions than you do:lol:

You're probably right. The day I bought my LGT my Grand Am GT blew a power steering hose. Replaced it myself, but it cost me $80 for the part. That was a good omen for me to buy the LGT. :lol:

Cars always have problems and quirks - some more than other. And some cars have all problems in a flock. Just consider the first cars assembled on a Monday when the workers have had a long hard weekend.
453747.png

I also had the same problem on my car. I'm at Stage 2 and got the P0304 CEL code. My idle was a bit bumpy and I could feel some misfires when starting off from a stop and when bogging in 2nd gear. Using the AC made it even worse. My local dealer wanted ~$430 to replace 1 injector (parts + labor). I decided to replace it myself. I had to search in several different places on this site to find the info I needed. Here is a quick summary to help future searches:

-Stock 05'~06' LGT fuel injector part# is 16600AA170 (this comes with both o-rings already on the injector)

-you need a torx T-25 bit to remove the injector

-#1 injector is passenger/front, #2 injector is driver/front, #3 injector is passenger/rear, #4 injector is driver/rear

-the fuel pump fuse needs to be pulled to relieve the fuel pressure. The fuse is in the fuse box in the engine compartment. There is a fuse diagram on the underside of the fuse box

My car feels better since I replaced the injector but still not perfect. I'm going to add some fuel injector cleaner and hope for the best.

Ok, update...

I have been trying to find a matched set of 550cc injectors (or OEM for that matter), but DW has discontinued them! So I have the option of going with injectors in the 700cc range (overkill), or I can buy new OEM ones. What do you guys think?

Archived