LegacyGT.com

Disabling Low-Beams on flash to pass?

Fraggle

I just may be a searchtard, but I couldn't find a solution to this...

Does anyone know a way to NOT have the lowbeams flash concurrently with the highbeams when using flash to pass?

I don't think it's the best thing in the world for my HID's, so I haven't been using it, at all.

In my 09, the low-beams stay on during FTP. This is actually preferable, since you won't be hot-striking the ballasts.

Unless you mean FTP from a lights-off standpoint. In that case, I'm not sure what the low-beams do during that situation. I leave my low-beams on all of the time, so I never really thought about it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Unless you mean FTP from a lights-off standpoint. In that case, I'm not sure what the low-beams do during that situation. I leave my low-beams on all of the time, so I never really thought about it.

Whoops! I guess I should clarify... This is from a lights off perspective.

Unfortunately, with at least the 07's, in a lights off situation, when FTP is activated, both low and highs are activated. This is expected (and desirable) in a halogen low/high situation, but bad for HID's.

I do not leave my lights on at all times (DRL Disabled as well).

Well, the "simple" solution is to just leave the low-beams on all of the time. The lifespan of OEM HID bulbs is something near 3000 hours.

I'd have to look at the headlights/FTP wiring diagram to see if there were some other method.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

i think a solution to this would be a relay with time delay, which would also solve the problem of leaving the lights on while cranking the motor. i want one but havent looked into it yet.

That's the path I've been thinking of. I want to do it timed both ways though. 2 or 3 second delay from receiving signal to HID ignition, and then a 30 second delay to turn off (pathway lighting anyone?).

Flash-to-pass is when you flash your high-beams to signal another driver. It's a level down on the "pissed off" scale than honking. It's called "flash-to-pass" because, technically, you are supposed to flash a driver you are about to pass on a 2-lane road, so they can anticipate your move.

It extends to signaling other drivers that they have their high-beams on, asking someone going slow in the left lane to move over, or letting someone know that there is a car behind them.

You could use a time-delay relay: http://www.wolstentech.com/products/timedelayrelay/timedelayrelay.php

That has a neat feature that adjusts turn-on-time AND turn-off time independently.

I wouldn't worry about starting the car with the HID's on, unless you don't have an HD harness. If you have an HD harness, the ballasts will be pulling directly from the battery and they won't likely have any issues staying above the threshold voltage. If you are using the stock wiring, then you have losses associated with the stock wiring PLUS the voltage drop during cranking.

If you are going to do an HID setup, you should definitely have an HD harness.

I usually just flash my gun to pass if someone is clogging up the left lane :lol::lol::lol:

This, I like.

:wub:

:p

:lol::lol::lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Well, many people also use it as a courtesy to warn other drivers going the oposite direction of upcoming hazards (deer, pigs, road debris, stopped traffic, cops, etc).

Also, I owned a bike, and have learned to be cautious passing drivers. There is nothing worse than coming up to pass someone who isn't paying attention. There is no end to the stupid things a surpised driver might do.

How about just put your left blinker on and blow by them. Then put on your right blinker to re-enter??

• 6 years later...

Archived