LegacyGT.com

NSFW's ID 1000 injector swap

I just talked with Tony at T1 again today. Always fun to pick the brain of a guy who builds 8-second FWD cars. He says parallel configuration being better is a complete internet rumor (I know, how could NASIOC possibly be wrong). He explained in mathematical terms the quantity of fuel not just in flow rate but in required diameter to flow x amount (1000cc for a quick and dirty example. The end result is that -6an or even 8mm is such dramatic overkill in size that there would be no physical need or want for parallel. I'm sure anyone here can do the math themselves and figure out what size lines your preferences would require for greatest possible flow rate. I personally can't see ever going over 5 liters per minute, and that's a LOT of fuel!

I will be going series, perhaps even with rubber lines since it would be so darn easy!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you're gonna get laughed at at them meets

:lol:

When I'm done with the final build ( <--:lol: ), it will look 100% unmodified to the unexperienced (police) eye. I don't need the approval of d-bag financially-stupid UFC-loving monkeys telling me whether my engine bay meets their style approval. It's also a f***ing Legacy Wagon, perhaps the most bland and pedestrian car on Earth. Why play pretend? If I buy an old muscle shell one day long in the future, then game on to bling.

Eh just venting because I had to deal with 20-second fart cans in traffic all day. Why is my 3.0L Toyota Avalon faster than a DelSol flat out on the highway...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I just talked with Tony at T1 again today. Always fun to pick the brain of a guy who builds 8-second FWD cars. He says parallel configuration being better is a complete internet rumor (I know, how could NASIOC possibly be wrong). He explained in mathematical terms the quantity of fuel not just in flow rate but in required diameter to flow x amount (1000cc for a quick and dirty example. The end result is that -6an or even 8mm is such dramatic overkill in size that there would be no physical need or want for parallel. I'm sure anyone here can do the math themselves and figure out what size lines your preferences would require for greatest possible flow rate. I personally can't see ever going over 5 liters per minute, and that's a LOT of fuel!

I will be going series, perhaps even with rubber lines since it would be so darn easy!

Oops sorry NSFW, meant to post this in my T1 plumbing thread, not yours with the similar name :redface:

NSFW, do you think there is room for this type of fitting to clear the intake manifold runners when facing inward? It's a pretty low profile...

http://www.anplumbing.com/shop/images/AT9490.jpg

That will probably work just fine, but I hesitate to make any promises. The manifold runners are not a problem, actually... but I think that might end up pointing a hose into the coolant reservoir on the passenger side. Or maybe the turbo inlet. But I'd have to take a closer look at my car to say for sure. I can do that tomorrow.

Which ends of which rails were you planning to put those in?

If you aim it sideways, yeah, that looks like a problem. You might be able to aim it upwards, though you might just run into that AC line instead. I'll take a closer look and get you some pictures.

But, two straight fittings worked great for me on the fronts. You can see a red-and-blue one in that picture. I'm really happy with the way that section of hose turned out.

And here's a glimpse of the fitting for the 2nd braided line...

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/Injectors/PassenerRear2.jpg

Is this fitting capable of bending around the TGVs or does it have to go over them as it is in the pic?

Is this fitting capable of bending around the TGVs or does it have to go over them as it is in the pic?

Around the TGVs, and then which direction? I'm not sure what you mean.

But here's a better picture of that corner, maybe this will help... I took this shot standing on the passenger side of the car, holding the FMIC pipe out of the way to get a (slight) better look at the fuel line.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/Injectors/PassengerSideRear.jpg

If you want to go straight up, I think you'll clear the reservoir, but instead you'll collide with the coolant hoses. There are actually two hoses above the 90 fitting, but it's hard to see one of them because of the way the camera was aligned with them. However, if you use one of the 5/16" barb fittings you can run a hose straight back, then up and over the compressor, like I described earlier.

More pics in a moment.

Driver's side front... if you go straight up from here it will be a little bit crowded but I don't think you'll have any real trouble clearing the intake manifold or the AC line. You can make out the blue fitting on the end of the fuel line, near the injector connector. - it looks tighter than it is, since the AC line is a couple inches higher than the fuel line, and that connector is somewhere in between.

The AC line on my car was bent a little bit to clear a blow-through-MAF pipe that I was running for a while so I think you'll actually have a bit more room that this shows. (There will be another thread when I make some real progress with the blow-through setup. :) )

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/Injectors/DriverSideFrontLookingStraightDown.jpg

Driver's side rear, looking straight down... I'm using a rubber line here, and it's hard to see the fuel line so I added the rectangle. You can see a hose clamp on it near the left side of the rectangle. That shows you where the 5/16" barb is. That's a head breather line in the foreground, obscuring the end of the fuel rail.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/Injectors/DriverSideRearLookingStraightDown.jpg

Passenger's side front, looking straight down again... you might have a clearance problem with the intake if you try to go straight up from here. However, if you just run a hose between the fronts of the two rails you won't need any angled fittings. I think that's an AVCS actuator in the background, hopefully that gives you a sense of where this is on the block.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/Injectors/PassengerSideFrontLookingStraightDown.jpg

• 5 months later...
I'm looking at ordering a FPR very soon and would like to follow this install (thank you so much). One question about the linked FPR: The Summit site says it is 30-70 PSI. Does that mean it is only good for 26.5 psi boost (70-43.5=26.5)? I don't plan on running that high, but to plan to run 24-25 psi boost and generally look for parts that give a bit of cushion.

I'm looking at ordering a FPR very soon and would like to follow this install (thank you so much). One question about the linked FPR: The Summit site says it is 30-70 PSI. Does that mean it is only good for 26.5 psi boost (70-43.5=26.5)? I don't plan on running that high, but to plan to run 24-25 psi boost and generally look for parts that give a bit of cushion.

According to an email confirmation I got back from Aeromotive, the range of BASE fuel pressure is 70 max. So under vacuum it will be maybe 7 or so less, and under 25psi boost it will allow 95 psi no problem.

• 1 year later...

Subscribed and bump to an older thread.

Will be converting my Legacy in the next few days with the side to top-feed conversion kit and the ID conversion fuel line kit also ($250 from ID).

Should be pretty straight forward as the manifold will be off the motor for the new motor assembly.

Having the manifold off will make everything easier to reach, for sure. Especially the stuff that's normally under the coolant overflow tank on the passenger side. Plus you can work on a bench rather than hunched over the car.

The drawback of course is that you have to put the manifold back on, and then hook up a bunch of vacuum hoses that make no sense. All of which takes about three times longer than it should, for no apparent reason. :) It helps a lot to have a second, intact, LGT nearby for a reference.

Having the manifold off will make everything easier to reach, for sure. Especially the stuff that's normally under the coolant overflow tank on the passenger side. Plus you can work on a bench rather than hunched over the car.

The drawback of course is that you have to put the manifold back on, and then hook up a bunch of vacuum hoses that make no sense. All of which takes about three times longer than it should, for no apparent reason. :) It helps a lot to have a second, intact, LGT nearby for a reference.

Or what I do: Take pictures of everything, from every angle.

Without reading the instructions, I have a question: What did you do with the 3rd fuel hard line that ends up with a soft hose connection to the turbo inlet that has what I believe to be a black, (looks like fuel dampener) in it?

I am assuming I pull the hard line with the other 2 that will be removed from underneath/beside the manifold, and then I extend the soft line from the turbo inlet/dampener to return back to the fp reg???

My fuel line kit from ID came with 2 high pressure fuel injection hoses that supply from fpr to first rail and then return from 2nd rail to fpr. I am thinking I'll need to add a 3rd line.

Archived