LegacyGT.com

2011 STi on "The Ring"

CTSubiefan

The real question is, how much of a power boost does that extra turbo provide?

I mean an extra 40 CHP bumps the car to 345, which is well short of most of the other cars in that time category.

I mean, the CTS-V is at 500+, in a RWD setup with lower drivetrain losses. I'd love to see the list of sub-400 HP cars in under 8 min. I guessing maybe a Lotus, and an Ariel Atom.

Wonder what tires they were using. Nothing adds up about that unless they were running slicks or "DOT approved" tires. Car doesn't develop nearly the power nor could they have stripped enough weight to put it up with the likes of GT3s.

Not likely. The air temp was 2 Celsius. R-compounds and the like would be hard as steel at that temp. He'd have been skating around like the road was ice.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

The real question is, how much of a power boost does that extra turbo provide?

I mean an extra 40 CHP bumps the car to 345, which is well short of most of the other cars in that time category.

I mean, the CTS-V is at 500+, in a RWD setup with lower drivetrain losses. I'd love to see the list of sub-400 HP cars in under 8 min. I guessing maybe a Lotus, and an Ariel Atom.

An Exige will only do the track in 8:20s. It's really lacking on power for a course like the ring. I don't think an Atom has ever gone around it officially but it lacks the aero to properly compete there. It might dip in below 8 minutes, but only with an absurd amount of power and non-road tires.

Power and tires mean so much more on that track than anything else, excepting of course the driver.

Not likely. The air temp was 2 Celsius. R-compounds and the like would be hard as steel at that temp. He'd have been skating around like the road was ice.

Well the car was developing a massive amount more power than it will coming off the dealership floor. The time is too fast for anything less than 400+HP, amongst other things that were done to it.

But is it faster than the GT-R?

No, not even close. the GT-R does the ring consistently in the 7:26-7:29 area. That's not to take away from the new STi, because 7:55 is impressive, and the STI is easily the cheapest car in the 7:55 range... by far. I think the next cheapest is probably the Vette Z06. The rest are all Ferraris and Porsches mostly.

I love this video. This is making me want to buy the 2011 STi. Oh for what it's worth also, the fastest Mitsu Evo time (that I'm aware of) is the Evo 9 at 8:11.

Archived