LegacyGT.com

5 months later, only drove 2770 miles. Should I change my synthetic oil??

Your car will be fine and there really was no need to change it. For all those screaming change it, what about all those cars that sit in dealership lots waiting to be sold, do you change the oil as soon as you buy those cars?

Who says that a car sitting in a dealer lot is a model for car maintenance?

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that is too long imho

I wouldn't be surprised if there are sludge build up inside the motor if you change at that OCI

No sludge, my OA's come back " Good for Continuous use" and still have the filters in the Banjo filter bolts. Over 139k, if I had sludge problem, those Banjo filter bolts would be plugged up & my turbo would be history by now.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Oil doesn't really age.... It sits on the shelf in stores for extended periods of time, what's different if it's in your crankcase for 6-12 months with only 1000 miles on it? As long as the engine gets up to operating temp and it isn't saturated with moisture or fuel, I don't think basing an OCI off of TIME is worth it.

Time-based OCI's are what old timer mechanics and Autozone like to recommend to boost oil sales.

Check out and do some research on bobistheoilguy.com guys.

i always change at

3k or 3 month what ever comes first

all these oil saying to change every 5k-10k are big no no in my book

i still change it at 3k or 3 month

It's a big no-no to you because you haven't done your research on how long oil can actually last. If you've done your research and can come to that conclusion, do tell.

^^^Off topic, Hi neighbor from one county to your West.

Back on topic, As I said before, run whatever oil & filter & OCI that you like. I just choose not to change my oil & filter in one of my car every 4 to 5 weeks. I like the once a year for GXP, twice for the WRX & twice for the GT. Just think of all that oil I don't have to dispose of. Now if I had use for all that used oil, like used oil burning Heater for the garage. Then I would use a much cheaper oil, OCI around 3k, because I would have use for all the used oil.

Mike

oil in the bottle and oil in a pan between operation cycles are not a good comparison.

just because the logic some use is wrong doesn't mean the claim is wrong either.

Pretty much everyone is aware of how long oil can hold up. I could live to 100 if I would just exercise. But I'm looking at more like 60 :lol:

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

wow. I did not expect that many people to post on my thread. That's great! Maybe cause we're talking about OCI and stuff. :rolleyes:

Anyway, like I said earlier in the thread, I decided to change it cause I was not sure anymore. Though I hate to waste (and I REALLY do), I felt it was wiser to change it now. So I did.

Let me repeat the question I asked a bit earlier: I put some 5W-40 full syn. instead of 5W-30. Any side effects? I still have not started the car yet cause I have to charge the battery and such. Cause if there'd be any side effect, I will drain this oil out of my car ASAP.

wow. I did not expect that many people to post on my thread. That's great! Maybe cause we're talking about OCI and stuff. :rolleyes:

Anyway, like I said earlier in the thread, I decided to change it cause I was not sure anymore. Though I hate to waste (and I REALLY do), I felt it was wiser to change it now. So I did.

Let me repeat the question I asked a bit earlier: I put some 5W-40 full syn. instead of 5W-30. Any side effects? I still have not started the car yet cause I have to charge the battery and such. Cause if there'd be any side effect, I will drain this oil out of my car ASAP.

nothing, just mpg will go down :)

Barely any difference. You can measure the MPG change if you like. As long as you have clean oil that is of factory spec, and as long as you have good oil pressure and the temperature stays in range, your engine will be fine to the extent you can influence it. Beyond that, things like clean injectors and other maintenance concerns become more important, or are already more important and should get more of your attention before you worry more about your oil.

If you're in that cold of an environment, marginally better to use 5W-30 than 5W-40. Will let parts move a little easier.

^^ Agreed, an increase in viscosity +10 may or may not affect your MPG. If it does, it'll be negligible.

And yes, most if not all oil threads get hundreds of replies :lol:

Which is funny because I had to go elsewhere to learn about oil... :lol:

^^ Agreed, an increase in viscosity +10 may or may not affect your MPG. If it does, it'll be negligible.

And yes, most if not all oil threads get hundreds of replies :lol:

I'd agree to drop the hot viscosity by 10 is going to have a tiny change on MPG. I know when I change between 30 and 40 the difference in daily driving is next to nothing. It is only when driving at a constant speed on the highway there might be 3-4% improvement with the thinner oil.

The biggest factor with using 5W-30 over 5W-40 is that the latter oil has more viscosity improvement additives which will break down as the oil ages. (The further apart the two numbers are, the more VI additives there are).

Barely any difference.

^ OK I like that.

I'd agree to drop the hot viscosity by 10 is going to have a tiny change on MPG.

^ I am OK with that too.

And yes, most if not all oil threads get hundreds of replies

^LOL

Which is funny because I had to go elsewhere to learn about oil...

^LOL again!

Awesome response and feedback from all of you guys. Man I like our community :)

Tomorrow, I will FINALLY start the car and drive it for the first time in the northern most areas of Norway. Dang, I might be the northern most outback XT owner right now in the world (maybe?--nearly 70deg N latitude) LOL. Cause they don't have any Outback/Legacy 250HP turbo engine in Europe (diesels don't count ;) )...

nothing, just mpg will go down :)

yea, but you wont be able to notice the difference.

one more thing, heavy weight oil is designed for European cars, which have wider gap b/w engine internal components. I'm not sure about Subaru tho, but they recommend 5w30 for a reason.

about the oil w40 break down to w30 thingy, I dont think your OCI is long enough to be concerned.

I always stick with 5w30, maybe 0w30 in winter :)

just my o.o2, I dont think your car will die just because you put w40 oil in it :p

just drove the car today for the FIRST TIME IN NORWAY! Try riding your bicycle for three months without touching your LGT. Then start driving it again. You'll see how it feels. AMAZING!!!!!

Man I soo love my turbo.

In this country I can be sure that I will have amazing mpg cause max speed limit here is about 55MPH on the 'highway'. Other roads, max speed we've seen so far is 70km/h (43.5 mph). I got very good gas mileage today. Could not tell a difference with the oil. Felt really smooth.

Oh I love my car dang it! :wub:

• 3 months later...

just a quick update on mpg with the 5w40 I put in my engine. Last week, came back from a 775 mile trip on narrow, bumpy, hilly and really windy roads. Car was full of people (5 total), with the trunk completely full of stuff. Speed limits were mostly 50-55 mph due to how dangerous the roads were. Got 25 mpg. I was pretty happy about that actually cause the roads were horrible!

Oh also, I have noticed that I barely consume any oil. I remember with my 5w30, I was consuming a bit. But then again, I am rarely pushing the turbo here. Not too many opportunities...

3100 miles and 3 months 1 week so far. I'll follow the 3750 miles or 4 months oci.

*3750 miles or unlimited months oci

^ interesting...Cause I was going to ask if I had to change my oil when the 4 months mark was reached even if I did not reach 3750 miles. But then I read the following on this page towards the bottom: "Under normal driving conditions, the recommended oil and oil filter change interval for turbo vehicles is every 3,750 miles or four months, whichever comes first. "

Would you say the '4 months mark' does not matter if one uses syn oil then?

Edit: actually I just found the following quote on the same page at the beginning:

5w-30 Subaru Synthetic Oil is recommended but not required on any engine through 2009. It is especially recommended on turbo engines.

The maintenance schedule is the same regardless of oil used. (statement effective July 2010)

So I guess I would have to change it at the 4 months mark regardless of mileage and whether or not I am using syn oil, according to SOA.

I'm surprised SOA even said that tbh. Synthetic and non synthetic wont age any differently, and 4 months is young for an oil. If it makes you FEEL better, change it based on age, but its really nitpicking at that point. Any trace amount of moisture in the oil will burn off after a 30-40 minute drive anyway, (short trips don't remove moisture) and your oil will get a nice trip through your filter a couple hundred times and be squeaky clean. :)

If it makes you feel better, change it out, because that's what car maintenance is about anyway!

IMO a wast of time & $$$$$$$$$. I would look into changing the kind of oil & filter you use. Like Amsoil oil & their Ea oil filters, This one is good for 7.5K or 6mos. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/xlf.aspx This is what I use http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/sso.aspx Good for 1yr. or 17.5k.

Just a some ideas. do your on research, it your car & $$$$$$$ & your peace of mind.

Mike

I think it works out to about the same cost if you DIY oil changes. But your saving your time.

One oil change a year instead of 5 or 6 conventional oil changes.

Hammer you got me thinking now. I plan to rebuild my engine next spring.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Good for 1yr. or 17.5k.

^Daaang. One full year? wow. I am just paranoyed with these banjo bolt filters for reals though. Too scared.

I will still look into amsoil, though I can't even buy it cause I am currently in Norway. Right now, I am using the cheapest syn oil I can find (50$ for 5 liters--brand "cd cardic" :confused::confused:). Castrol syntec 5w30 costs 131 freakin bucks for ONLY 4 liters.

Since I don't drive that much, it'll be about 3 oil changes per year for me.

Archived