LegacyGT.com

5 months later, only drove 2770 miles. Should I change my synthetic oil??

Hi guys,

ok I am facing a bit of a dillema here. I changed my oil last Christmas with some Castrol 5W-30 full synthetic oil. Drove the car here and there until end of Feb for like 2770 miles total (so that 2 months of driving).

The car has NOT moved since (car got shipped overseas close to the north pole-:eek:-yeah crazy I know). So it's been a bit more than 3 months without running the engine.

We started the car a couple weeks ago when we received it and it runs just fine.

I was going to change the oil today but before doing so I checked it (see pic). It does not look that black to me and it is still full. So simple question: can I wait a bit longer or should I change it no matter what? Again it is a Castrol full synthetic oil.

IMG_1163.thumb.jpg.975552d0c6349b56906bcea109d541e3.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it's been sitting for 3 months without use then I would change it since the acidic combustion by-products have been sitting in it for so long (they get burnt off regularly when you drive your car regularly). If it was 5 months driving that mileage regularly then it'd be good for another 2 months or so since it's synthetic. Dino oil I would change at 6 months on the dot.

When in doubt change it out // It's insurance for your engine. I would just change it if it was me.

^True

it is easier to change the oil now than deal with issues later should the oil be bad.

^True again..

yeh i was always told 3 months or 3k which ever comes 1st.

^Me too. I've always followed that rule. It's just that I am using synthetic and lots of people are saying it is just throwing money down the drain by changing syn oil that early. I am a bit perplex now.. Oh and here is the other reason now: 4 liters of Castrol syn oil here costs about 113$. Yep you read it right :eek: . Oh and a full tank of gas will be about the equivalent of 120 bucks :rolleyes:

why move to Norway though?

^For school. finishing up my education here and in France as well. So planning to drive and enjoy the windy roads of Europe ;)

If it's been sitting for 3 months without use then I would change it since the acidic combustion by-products have been sitting in it for so long (they get burnt off regularly when you drive your car regularly). If it was 5 months driving that mileage regularly then it'd be good for another 2 months or so since it's synthetic. Dino oil I would change at 6 months on the dot.

^So if I understand what you're saying, you would use synthetic for 7 months and regular dino for 6 months? Wow, that's pretty long intervals. Though it does match what I've heard here in Norway; I asked the locals here and they only change their oil once a year!!??! :eek: I told them how often we do it in the states and they were like "what the??"

Mmmh, sooo concensus is like "change it now". I got some 5W-40 full syn on sale. That's what I am planning to use even though I have never used XW-40..Any feedback would be appreciated. I did dig some info on the forum though.

Owners handbook (in Australia at least) requires change every 6 months or 12,500Kms, whichever occurs earlier when using the stock, dino oil.

I'm not sure what the climate is like over there, but I run 5W-30 year in winter/autumn and 10W-40 in Summer/Spring. It gets anywhere from 2degC in Winter up to 45degC in Summer. In all those situations including track use I always have more than enough oil pressure (at least 1.5x but often up to 2.0x the stock specs).

Owners handbook (in Australia at least) requires change every 6 months or 12,500Kms, whichever occurs earlier when using the stock, dino oil.

Do you have the EJ255 engine (turbo engine)? Your avatar says 2.5i. So maybe your oil change interval is different then. I know that in the states, SOA recently advised Legacy GT/Outback XT owners to change oil every 3750 miles or 3 months due to banjo bolt issues..However, not sure if this applies when one is using synthetic oil.

Weather here is usually cold. It ranges from -10C (14F) to 20C (68F).

thanks for your input mate.

i always change at

3k or 3 month what ever comes first

all these oil saying to change every 5k-10k are big no no in my book

i still change it at 3k or 3 month

:spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin:

I 1st say run whatever oil & filter & OCI that you like. I been running Amsil 0w-30 SSO (Signature Series Oil) & Ea filters for 5+ yrs. now. In 3 turbo charge cars, G/F's stock 05 Subaru Impreza WRX with 107000 + miles, my modded 05 Subaru Legacy GT with 138000 + miles & my modded 07 GXP with 47000 + miles. Sense Amsoil don't make a Ea filter for the GXP. I use wix or NAPA Gold, which get changed out when the oil life reads 50% Other then that, my OCI is around 15000 miles. 5yrs, 292000 miles later, all car had no lubrication failures & still running strong.The GT still hit peak boost of 16.2 psi. the GXP 23psi and the WRX unknown, no gauge she like her car stock. Love that about her. More $$$$$ for mine. Amsoil 0w-30 SSO, my cost is only 7.50qt. IMO the best oil ever made to date.

I'm not a dealer, but if you have any question. Click on link below.

http://www.amsoil.com/frequent.aspx

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Hi guys,

ok I am facing a bit of a dillema here. I changed my oil last Christmas with some Castrol 5W-30 full synthetic oil. Drove the car here and there until end of Feb for like 2770 miles total (so that 2 months of driving).

The car has NOT moved since (car got shipped overseas close to the north pole-:eek:-yeah crazy I know). So it's been a bit more than 3 months without running the engine.

We started the car a couple weeks ago when we received it and it runs just fine.

I was going to change the oil today but before doing so I checked it (see pic). It does not look that black to me and it is still full. So simple question: can I wait a bit longer or should I change it no matter what? Again it is a Castrol full synthetic oil.

why not?

s it just me or has anyone else noticed your almost a quart over full..

Good eye! Nah I was not a quarter over full. As I was trying to take the picture, the dipstick was positioned horizontally for a while. By the time I took the picture, the oil started to move to the right on the dipstick.

allright guys, I finally decided to change the oil. So I just did it. Put some 5W-40 full synthetic in it. I hope everything will be OK. Man it was a pain changing the oil in a parking lot, especially when it started to rain on me and temperature today was like 35F! :mad: But I managed..

i always change at

This.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

[quote name=HAMMER

I 1st say run whatever oil & filter & OCI that you like. I been running Amsil I use wix or NAPA Gold, which get changed out when the oil life reads 50% Other then that, my OCI is around 15000 miles. 5yrs, 292000 miles later, all car had no lubrication failures & still running strong.

Mike[/quote]

that is too long imho

I wouldn't be surprised if there are sludge build up inside the motor if you change at that OCI

Your car will be fine and there really was no need to change it. For all those screaming change it, what about all those cars that sit in dealership lots waiting to be sold, do you change the oil as soon as you buy those cars?

i always change at

I had my synthetic analyzed by a lab after almost 9000km, or about 5500 miles. Now this is not a back yard lab, but a highly sophisticated outlet that a lot of manufactures use to check for wear in gearboxes, pumps, etc..

They told me that there was "no visible wear" showing with my sample.

While I agree that it is good to change oil frequently, I do believe that synthetic can go farther than 3000 miles.

And for the record, the oil was used in a V8 truck, and was driven thru the winter months before testing.

Just my 0.02...

Archived