LegacyGT.com

whats is envolved for a 3.0 swap into a 2.5 gt car ????

step 1: drive to dealership

step 2: ask if they have any 3.0R's on the lot

step 3: test drive 3.0R

step 4: trade 2.5GT for 3.0R

step 5: enjoy

This /\

Or maybe swap in a big block Chevy motor,,:rolleyes:

I'm an old fart at 43 years of age. I have done motor swaps in my day, but with cars from the 70's, it is much easier.

Luckily, Subaru made these relatively easy compared to most other manufactures. The tranny is compatible with both motors and the 6 is only .7" longer than the 4. (no need to modify the entire bay to cram it in) Of course I said "relatively" easy, which means you need to match up the electronics for the 6, which includes the ECU.

Good luck. I am uncertain why you would like to swap the turbo 4 for the less-powerful 6 (same HP, less torque). Are you planning on modifying the stock 6?

step 1: drive to dealership

step 2: ask if they have any 3.0R's on the lot

step 3: test drive 3.0R

step 4: trade 2.5GT for 3.0R

step 5: enjoy

^this.

Unless you never plan on selling the car, in which case you will successfully half the resale by taking a desireable factory turbo car and swapping in a less powerful engine.

On the search for a new DD...

If you can find a EZ36R for "cheap" (under $5K used) get that and the ECU and the harness however you will more than likely be finding EZ30Rs and EZ30D's the drvieline can handle the engine so that is no problem or need to change just make sure you get the ECU and harness and wiring in the ignition circuit and cluster indicators should be fairly simple once you get a pin out. You will also have to address the engine cradle and any clearance issue in the bay. Not impossible not as complicated as say a EJ257 swap into a EJ18 or better yet a EJ255 swap into a EJ253 that is just ridiculous :lol:

Put the money it would take to do the swap into the 2.5 GT. You would have a much more reliable car that way and most likely make the same horsepower in the long run (there are more aftermarket parts out for the 2.5 than the 3.0). You will have a lighter car, it will be easier to work on and won't have the headaches of chasing all of the gremlins with the swap. If you seriously want the 3.0 than buy a 3.0 car and start from there.... much easier.

The biggest thing I always wondered about the H6 swap is how do you get a 4cyl ECU to spark and spray 6 cylinders?

Dividing the forces among 6 cylinders does help toward reliability at ridiculous power levels.

The biggest thing I always wondered about the H6 swap is how do you get a 4cyl ECU to spark and spray 6 cylinders?

Dividing the forces among 6 cylinders does help toward reliability at ridiculous power levels.

'

You use a EZ30R ECU.....duh :lol:

3.0 turbo silly ! jsut think what turbo does for the 2.5 i !!!

Well if they mad a turbo for the 2.5i guys it would be the best thing since sliced bread, but they don't :( IF you could follow Perrins build and use say a VF 46 and stock boost levels you would make good power. Your best source are the Aussie guys they have three or four EZ36R TT's !!!! Running and it is insane :eek:

Archived