LegacyGT.com

09 spec.B Understated DIY Grille, No Alterations to OEM

pmw

I ordered an AVO grille from Fred Beans and had it on the car for no more then a few minutes when I realized it was not what I wanted. The open grille look always appealed to me in photos but I did not like once it was on the car. The wife was not crazy about it either.

AVO grille is for sale $80+shipping if anyone is interested.

I decided to go with a design that was based on a suggestion I made to Grillecraft so that they could make an alternative to the open-hole look and a solution for people who do not want to cut apart their OEM grille. Unfortunately since Grillecraft did not agree with me (and I am sure they are right since they are actually in the grille business); I had to make something myself. I made a number or different prototypes of different mesh and finally hit on one I liked. I think it looks aggressive but understated – like the car could have come this way. My wife liked this one.

This is made using four carefully measured and aligned pieces of a thick grade mesh that are inserted on top of the OEM grill. I am keeping an eye on IAT and Engine Temp on my Dashdaq to see if there are any noticeable air flow/ cooling issues.

IMG_3259_upload.thumb.jpg.ddeca39980354271e0cfed60cdb0e60c.jpg

IMG_3260_upload.thumb.jpg.06516265a224a650da9843662340825b.jpg

IMG_3261_upload.thumb.jpg.2bed2cfbfdb5d34c0c1adcf320db41ff.jpg

I like it! I also just noticed how different the LGT grille and my Outback grille are.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I am glad to read that people like it. I am really happy with it. I am going to start on the bumper dam area this weekend to see how that looks. In keeping with the look I will be aiming for a recessed install (as opposed to flush with the front) I will post pictures once complete.

I am curious what people think about painting the mesh the car body color?

Sorry I have been away. I got the material from Home Depot. It is located where they sell sheet metal and steel rods (not gutter guard). It is called Expanded Metal and is sold in 12X24 sheets. I think there was a smaller size too.

I will say that I think this is causing my engine to run hot. I have been watching IAT and coolant temp and they seem to be higher then before. Weather will be the same tomorrow so I removed the insert and will be testing to see if there is a difference.

I did a bunch of A/B testing with and without the mesh in 90 degree weather over the last few days and there is no difference in temps that I can tell.

I also completed the templates for the bumper air dam area this weekend. I hope to rough it in this week to see how it looks.

PS: this mesh started rusting after some days of rain. I have since sanded it down and painted it with a clear coat.

Archived