LegacyGT.com

uel headers legacy 2.5i

i would really like to get something going with uel headers for our legacy 2.5s. my friend paul is the owner of ECS (east coast swappers) and he wants to help us do this. i need everyone to come together to see who wants to get involed in this

I PM'd you!

If you all remember ECS was the shop I approached about the build. We had 8 locked in people BUT the stumbling block was no one person lived close enough to ECS :( These prices may have changed but I remember $1300 for the prototype and the final cost per set would be dependent on the number.

So 10 people would have been $130.00/per for the jig basically then $275-$340 per set. I am a fan of ECS b/c they do great work if I lived nearer to them I would of had a UEL on my car 16 months ago. IF you talk to Paul get the fine details let us know you wont have a problem getting 5-7 serious owners. You know i would be all for it again :)

where is ECS? so would it be 130 a set or 130 plus 275 for a set? a jig should not cost 1300 bucks.. i think im confuzed :(.. unless im not thinking of the same jig..

Not a jig but the prototype which would actually be the first set. The first set requires a lot of work, actually it doesn't but they will say it does:lol:. So to get that first one fabbed up to make a jig would cost about $900 for Fabrication time and materials. Ive been quoted $900 from a place in Northern VA I think R&D :confused: and $750 from a place in NC that does manifolds for hondas but wouldn't mind doing this project.

The reality is actual time will vary and im betting less than 8 hours. Even @ $125/hr thast only $1000 I dont care how many people are on board if it is just 2 of us then so be it :) The bigger picture here is this whichever shop is the first to market will be the first shop with feedback and the ONLY shop with the part to start.

You think we want a UEL? try NASIOC the impreza guys out number us 3 to 1 in demand. :eek:

i would really like to get something going with uel headers for our legacy 2.5s. my friend paul is the owner of ECS (east coast swappers) and he wants to help us do this. i need everyone to come together to see who wants to get involed in this

Involvement is a given :)

so roughly what would be the actual price?

So during my many many pricing calls and talks with fabricators on the first go round these where the prices I got:

EJ257 flanges $25/flange @ 5/16" and $30/flange @ 5/8"

T304SUS 16ga. $35/per 5 feet (this may vary depending on supplier)

Spun style ceramic OEM double comb catalytic converter $52/per unit

2.5" O.D three bolt flange $10/per flange

and I think $105 or $115 per hour fab time

O2 bungs $2/per

Paul at ECS told me that they would need a test car for up to 5 days and i should have expected about 8 hours of time :icon_cool:

So the first one would be about anywhere from $800 to $1100 but after the prototype is done the copies can be made using a jig in about an hour per set so given the list of parts and labor cost say:

1 hr fab time $110

2 EJ flanges $50

1 three bolt flange $10

Cat $52

10 ft of T304 $70

2 bungs $4

Total : $296 I would imagine they would add in profit so I would guess $350-$375 finished piece on the low end and up to who knows. They would obviously be more if they made 5 versus 15

Note however they could just set a price and like $350 per header and they may cut there own flanges and have tubing in bulk on hand this would mean pure profit for ECS im not sure but even if you make 10 the majority of that price is profit

damn thats crazy.. full exhaust jig i could see costing that much but for a manifold?? wow.. any hoot.. im not loaded or have really any extra cash to really spend on my car, if you guys got this rolling id be in for a production manifold (after teh jig is paid for :))

damn thats crazy.. full exhaust jig i could see costing that much but for a manifold?? wow.. any hoot.. im not loaded or have really any extra cash to really spend on my car, if you guys got this rolling id be in for a production manifold (after teh jig is paid for :))

That is what separates the men from the boys LOL but honestly that is how this process must go. No shop has developed a UEL for our cars and they don't have a reason and don't forget this is based on I interested owners with 10 people locked in price will be low and realistically we are looking at $1000 or less for a prototype they keep the jig and the rights to the design. A jig would cost much much more say $7000 if the part it produces is really sought after.

In other words that custom single exit exhaust you had fabbed up will cost more than this header. The first few people may get a discount for helping with R&D they would probably build two or three to road test for say 1000 miles before finalizing the design the testers would keep the header at cut price or free. I am wiling to be one of the first guys not to be first or get freebies or anything but to show others that I'm not all talk and I feel that I have some really good ideas to contribute. If you recall I was the first owner to test the throttle controller and report objectively and this would be no different it would add to my BETA tester resume :lol:

Archived