LegacyGT.com

Fully disable VDC?

rosscarlson

Guys,

I've been at the track for the last two days (first days this season in my car) and I've determined that I can't fully disable the VDC. I'm pushing her much harder than last season but even with it off every so often if I really start to rotate I'll feel the brake pedal modulate under my foot. Not when I'm on the break mind you (so not ABS) only when I'm hovering the pedal with my foot through a tight corner.

I know the system is "off", the light on the dash is on and I do have more freedom to slide around. But I'm definitely feeling it kick in a bit - my old Z was the same way.

Anyone have any idea if it can be fully disabled? Any fuse I can pull?? Heading back out for day 3 tomorrow...

-Ross

There is no "diagnostic" mode to completely disable the VDC system, unfortunately. The best you can do is pull the fuse and lose ABS, VDC, and EBD.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Thanks guys - too late for this weekend, just got home from the track.

Hmm, wonder what disabling EBD would be like, does it just even it all out? Anyone here try that for the track? While I don't get into my ABS much I'd rather have it available. As neutral as my car handles I can live without a lot of oversteer, even if it is fun. It's not as fast anyway.

Thanks!!

-Ross

Guys,

if I really start to rotate I'll feel the brake pedal modulate under my foot.

That's EBD working.

If you disable it - you'll end up with a car that is very-very tail-happy. I don't know a way to disable EBD but keep ABS (don't know if you need it), if you don't need ABS - pull the fuse. I marginally prefer a fuse under hood (#2 I think) since pulling #33 under dash disables SI-drive somehow, and it gets stuck in 'S'.

Ok, let me be clearer to be sure I'm just not saying it wrong. When I say I felt it modulate I wasn't actually on the brake at the time. I had my foot hovering the pedal with zero force on it (just making contact) and I felt it pull away from my foot as the car engaged the brake for me.

So are we saying the same thing? And honestly I'd do anything to make my car oversteer better, I'd love to be able to rotate it quicker than I can now. I've even got my suspension setup to maximize it but still can't get it to rotate.

Next time I head out I'll run a warm session with the under hood fuse out. How much would you guys say this changes the handling of the car?

Hm, little braking force? Then probably not EBD. This was in turn, right? Steady speed? Did you just feel it in the pedal, or the car slowed down as well? EBD reacts to wheel speed difference, so if the rear end was sliding it still could be EBD

I thought the button turned off VDC completely. It seems that this might be a version of EBD that works laterally, however I haven't heard about such function in a spec.b.

Personally I would not disable EBD for track, since it would force brake fluid pressure to stay the same front/back and cause a severe rear brake bias. If you were to try it - I'd dial back quite a bit and learn as if in the new car.

There's another fuse that disables just VDC/ABS but keeps EBD, you might wanna try that to see if this is indeed VDC working - it's to the right of the fuse box under dash, on the bottom edge of the block that holds relays. I think it's the only fuse there.

Ok, so let me explain as best I can what happened.

I came out of a fast right hand corner doing about 75 in 4th gear. I then jump on the gas full throttle for about 1 second then stand on the brakes, heel-toe down into 3rd and as soon as the shift is done I come off the brake and go to the gas at only maintenance throttle for a tight left hander. So this is very quickly transferring the weight of the car from left to right as I enter the corner fast. If I take it a bit too hot (when this is happening) I'll hover my foot over the brake pedal - NOT enough to light the tail lights. As the car started to rotate I felt the backend start to let lose and go into oversteer. Just as I started to smile I felt the brake pedal modulate under my foot and as it did that modulation brought the car back into line and stopped the slide. My smile went away...

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to start pulling fuses and run my car as normal - completely agree with your "it's a new car" idea because in some possibly huge ways it would be. At the same time I know how to slide a car and wouldn't mind if she would rotate better. I've got my suspension all setup for maximum oversteer but now something is killing my fun.

Thoughts? Thanks guys, sorry if I don't have the right vocabulary for this.

-Ross

can it be the torsen rear diff trying to lock

I wouldn't think so as I'm feel the brake pedal modulate when it's happening

And you know this how?

To be blunt I know my car well and am a really quick driver. I know the difference between my foot being in contact with the pedal (but not depressing it) and me putting pressure on the pedal. Either way I felt the pedal move away from my foot without me applying the pressure to move it.

-Ross

Archived