LegacyGT.com

Well . . . what can I say, you've bought an AWD Subaru Legacy for economy? I have an 08 2.5i SE Sports Tourer with a 4AT, on a very good day I have seen over 40mpg, not necessarily all motorway, I also tow a 1500kg caravan where I have seen 20mpg whilst towing for 280 motorway miles. My average, according to my trip computer is 30mpg with a tank full of fuel lasting around 400 miles. I am not disappointed with the economy of my Legacy. And I don't drive particularly economically either.

I didnt , Im just kind of dissapointed in my mileage ( I have the AT with the shifters )

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only "mod" I've done is remove the intake resonator. Doubtful thats helping, but I don't know what else is. I drive pretty "sporty" all the time. Do you have a MT? Also change or clean you're airfilter, I have noticed that helps

I took out my resonator too ( first mod ) I dont think that affects the MPG's. Love the louder rumble above 2.5K RPM :)

Well, after almost a month of owning the car, I can say that the MPG figures are pretty consistent. I'm always averaging around 18-19mpg with 90% city driving and a lot of stop and go traffic. I guess that's pretty good considering that it was on par with what my TSX was giving me, and that was a 4cyl car.

I'm also surprised that the city figures are almost identical on the 2.5i vs. 3.0R

the AWD system paired with a boxer engine is really what gives us these MPG numbers. 19 around 90% city driving seems pretty reasonable. Nothing to be worried about. as they say, trying to improve mileage by driving differently def. hurts it. I just drive normally now and my mileage is consistent, if not better.

• 5 months later...

i took a road trip over thanksgiving and the fuel light came on at 421 miles. 90% of driving was highway. '09 se

Beginning of trip:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i213/smw72/DSC00172.jpg

End of trip:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i213/smw72/DSC00171.jpg

I logged all mpg for the first 20K miles or so.

With a cold start and short commute through traffic, you are going to get poor mpg, and if it's cold it will be even worse. The 3.0R, WRX, and my wife's Mazda MPV will all dip down to the low teens under such circumstances. That's the kind of driving where hybrids shine.

I've never gotten much over 26mpg on the highway, and the sort of "normal" mixed driving yielded about 23. That's about what the WRX gets, but it requires Premium.

FWIW our four cyclinder 97 OBW only got 1 or 1.5 mpg more in similar use.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I have a 07 2.5i legacy that I have been driving for like 7000 miles now, since august of this year. When I first got it I was getting 26-28 mpg average between 50% city and 50% highway. I have since gotten ezpass and now drive probably 70 % highway and 30 % city between work and leisure. My mileage is now mostly 24 mpg average, although there are alot more head winds in the winter months and that affects the mileage alot to. I drive the same, 5-10 mph over the speed limits and I dont baby the car but I dont drive it like a race car either. Although when I drive strictly highway I have seen the average go as high as 33 and thats setting the cruise as I normally do at 75mph.

lucky you have a 5MT. the 4EAT tends to run the RPM's higher when on highway speeds. My brother has gotten as high as 30 probably driving slower. But doing 75, I can't get higher than 26 on an 100% highway. If I drove maybe 60-65, I think the mpgs for the 4EAT would jump a bit.

I've only filled up the tank 2x so far, but last tank I got 24.x MPG in my 06 2.5i 5MT. That was with lots of short errands, a driving lesson for my wife and letting a couple family members take it for a spin. So far this tank, with only me driving is at just over 200 miles and just under 1/2 tank. The trip computer says I'm getting 27MPG... not sure how accurate that is yet. This is mostly backroad driving 30MPH-60MPH with a trip to Buffalo and the traffic that entails...

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

So the moral of the MPG story is that if your worried about MPG... then DONT BUY A LEGACY lol. Kinda regretting the purchase to be honest, I just didnt know there was gonna be that big of a difference in MPG between my previous Mazdaspeed 3 and my current 07 LGT 5EAT. I think the highest Ive seen is 18.9 all city but that didnt last and was in the summer. Last tank I saw 15 in Sport.... and am getting 17.3 in Intelligent so far on this tank.

Well I had a rack on the car and that instantly killed my MPG by 3. I was averaging 19 on the highway. I am in West Virginia and the hills kill the MPG. In the summer I took a trip to Niagra Falls and Cedar Point, the average was 27.9. This was in Sport mode and not in cruise and the limit was exceeded in speed. I took the rack off since it was for a bike, and I have snow blades that fit in the trunk and MPG is up to ~21.9. Mixed S and I mode. Do I like the MPG, no, but I love the car.

DRoc7822[/b]]So the moral of the MPG story is that if your worried about MPG... then DONT BUY A LEGACY lol.

That depends. I came out of an '89 Jeep Cherokee (4.0, AW4). My 26-27 (2.5, 4EAT) mpg average is almost double what I saw in the Jeep, so I'm happy. The cold weather package is nice too, especially compared to the XJ with mediocre heater and leaky door/window seals.

Archived