LegacyGT.com

Went to the junkyard today...

So I went to the junkyard today in search of tires for the Legacy and came up empty handed.

But I did see a good condition 91 Legacy AWD fully loaded with ABS and alloy wheels for sale for $1,000. It even had a factory CD player, which I didn't even know existed! It was a separate unit mounted where the cubby under the radio would normally go. I was tempted to buy it but I don't think the woman would let me bring it home. :lol:

The car was pretty good though. It had a sunroof, alloys (With the exception of one which was a replacement steel rim), the CD player, rear aftermarket speakers, an aftermarket muffler, AWD, ABS, and all the other optional goodies. If it doesn't sell it will wind up in the yard, at which point I plan on stripping it dry..... The only noticable defects were faded paint and a bit of slight rusting over the right rear fender and right rocker panel. The rust wasn't nearly as bad as my Legacy though, since it barely made it through the paint.

I was planning on rebuilding the Legacy, as seen in my "I think I know what I'm going to do with the Legacy thread" but plans have slightly changed. I'm registering the Legacy again soon, since my friends car recently got repo'd. I have been looking for an excuse to re-register the Legacy anyway, since I enjoy driving it more than the Pathfinder.

I have had this room-mate since September, and he has had problems finding a job. Because of this, he hasn't been making his car payments. We've talked to him, and decided that he's going to get whatever job he can for now and pay for the insurance on the Legacy. He's either going to drive the Legacy to work, or the Pathfinder. Whichever I decide to take to work in the morning he's going to take the other. He would take the lady's car, but he can't drive stick. He only needs $1,200 to get his car back, and after that he's just got to worry about making the payments and saving money to get an apartment until the baby is born. Its understood that he is to be out of the house by the time my child is born this coming September, so he's got to get to it. I think I'll probably be driving the Legacy more often, since it's more fun and enjoyable to drive. The Pathfinder can't even get out of its own way. :lol:

I know the Pathfinder is "Safer, more reliable, and more practical for a baby", but I still love the Legacy. Its an extension of my personality, its part of me. All the work I did to it, all the blood and sweat I shed making it what it is..... You can't buy that in ANY car.

I just need to cut out some rust and get new tires to pass inspection. I figure I'll do the mods while its registered.

I'm glad too.......

I got some tires, they look brand new. $100 for all 4 at the junkyard. I took them to get mounted on my rims today. I managed to snap 3 wheel studs in the process of getting the tires off the car though. It was an easy fix though, and I currenty have 3 wheels with fresh tires mounted back on the car. The last one will go on tomorrow, but I'm waiting for a caliper bolt kit to replace a sticky slide on my front caliper. I also used some Anti-Seize on all the bolts I took out today. A side note I always forget to mention, PB Blaster is a mans best friend, and a good impact wrench is like a girlfriend who doesn't complain. It just does what you ask it to and never fails. :lol: (Sorry, bad sexist joke)

Hopefully I'll hit up the registry and insurance company tomorrow to get this thing back on the road. When I get home I'll take care of the brakes and sometime either tomorrow or Thursday I'll cut and patch the rusted dog legs.

I made tons of progress today after work and so far I'm ahead of schedule.

That CD player was standard in the first generation Turbo's, and optional in the other cars I believe.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

What's the difference between PB blaster and WD-40?

About the same between the engine in a Spec-B and a regular LGT :lol::spin:

Seriously though, I think PB blaster "claims" to eat away at the rust more so, wheras WD-40 is more of a penetrating lubricant.... IMHO they both do the same thing.

i went junkyarding on monday and got:

mint condition passenger tail light $16

mint condition passenger corner light $4

clean passenger side sun visor $5 (mine was loose and wouldn't stay up)

drivers side front splash guard $2

Haha...well I've never had an issue with WD-40, but I suppose I could give PB a shot.

Heck yeah man! I'm going to get a CV axle this weekend from a junk yard for $20 and hopefully the wiper bushing for my RS so my freakin wipers will work right again.

WD-40 and PB are similar, but PB is way more powerful. WD-40 is a water displacing (That's where the WD comes from) lubricant. Its made to remove moisture. PB Blaster is a penetrating oil, designed to eat away at rust and penetrate seized threads to make bolt removal easier. If you put PB Blaster in a Styrofoam cup it will literally eat it the cup a couple minutes. The cup will pretty much melt. If you put WD in the same cup it will sit in the cup indefinitely, leaving a brownish stain if you ever dump it out.

The Legacy is back on the road! I just got back from her maiden voyage. The new tires are much better than the old ones. She tracks straight, doesn't pull to either side, and the wheel doesn't wobble one bit even at speeds of 60MPH. Its better than I remember it!

Long live Rasputin!!!!!

I've been to a few states that didn't have inspections, but they are horrible... Especially if you have a newer car.

Here's the rundown for a car older than 1996.....

-All lights must work. All of them

-Windshield wipers and sprayers must work, even the rear if equipped.

-No sharp edges can be on the car. That means if your bumper is popping out a little they'll fail it. I've had this happen before.

-No body rot. Surface rust and bubbling paint is ok, but if they tap on it with their fingers and they make a hole it's a no-go.

-No exhaust leaks. Some stations are better than others with this, like the one I go to.

-Brakes must work. No squeeler pads allowed.

-E-Brake must work.

-Seat belts must work.

-Must have all lug nuts.

-Sometimes stations will jack the car up and check the condition of tie rod ends and sway bar links. They also look for body rot under there too. Generally these places are also repair shops looking to make an extra buck of stupid people.

-I've even heard of a car failing for bad struts, but it's very very rare.

-Tires must have tons of tread left.

-And (This is legit) your license plate cover cannot cover the words "The Spirit Of America" at the bottom of the MA license plate. This is very common, if you take it off at the station they pass you though. (Land of the free my ass)

-No exhaust smoke of any kind allowed.

-No leaking fluids.

Now, for a car NEWER than 1996...

-All of the above PLUS...

-No dashboard warning lights of any kind are to be illuminated. (Check engine, SRS, ABS, ECT...)

-Car must show no OBDII trouble codes AT ALL.

Some places are more strict than others, but these are pretty much the guidelines for a vehicle to pass. Cars older than 1996 do not have to pass the OBDII emissions test.

-Windshield wipers and sprayers must work, even the rear if equipped.

-Brakes must work. No squeeler pads allowed.

-E-Brake must work.

-Tires must have tons of tread left.

-No leaking fluids.

Mine would fail for this stuff XD

Also, I dont think cars older than 96 had OBD2, right? I thought it was all OBD1 back then

It was, which is the main reason why they don't test them. Back in the day they would hook the car up to a smog hose that tested the exhaust emissions, then OBDII came around and now they just plug an OBDII reader to the port and read the codes. If they get a code, you fail.

Archived