LegacyGT.com

98 2.5 LGT TURBO help me!

What up... So I just bought a 05 wrx turbo with a front mount intercooler, piping, and a bov, now my problem is, that I have no idea what to get as far as headers, up and downpipes. Can I get aftermarket parts that fit the wrx and put them on my car? What else do I need before I put the turbo in?

DO NOT turbo your NA 2.5. You will blow it up! The EJ25D internals are not meant for a turbo and the compression ratio is like 10.1:1. For the money you will spend buying the turbo and a new motor in the near future you will be better off dropping a turbo JDM or USDM wrx/sti motor in.

Ya it's the stock 2.5. But it's just the wrx turbo with 6psi boost I got it and the intercooler and everything else I stated for 300 bucks. So what should I do then? Should I get all new internals? Cams, head, fuel injectors, etc, what ever the heck else there is internally. I'm not a big engine guy so I really don't know. But I also don't have the money to get a new engine unless it's only a couple hundred bucks. Which I'm sure it's more like it's in the thousands right?

Ya it's the stock 2.5. But it's just the wrx turbo with 6psi boost I got it and the intercooler and everything else I stated for 300 bucks. So what should I do then? Should I get all new internals? Cams, head, fuel injectors, etc, what ever the heck else there is internally. I'm not a big engine guy so I really don't know. But I also don't have the money to get a new engine unless it's only a couple hundred bucks. Which I'm sure it's more like it's in the thousands right?

so you are trying to turbo an engine you dont know alot about. perhaps you should go to a shop for a second opinion before you put all this money and effort in to a ticking timebomb.

Subarus = legos... visit http://www.rs25.com for all of the info you need on swaps...

One thing concerned me, you mentioned you don't have the money for a replacement engine... don't do it then.. a turbo install even with junkyard parts will cost you a lot more than you think and if you can't afford to replace the engine or don't know how it could end badly for you...

if thats the case, i would sell the turbo and whatever else you got with it, save up for a wrx swap, PIA or outback auto could do the swap and you'll have a much faster car for a lot less trouble than bolting a turbo onto a n/a motor

with low amount of boost the transmission should be fine, any more though and your torque converter will start slipping

Lies :rolleyes:

My stock 96' Legacy GT 100k mile TC I had on this car never slipped. 18.5psi tuned 230hp/241tq(rounded), a lot of brake boosting launches and auto-x no problems. I now have put an IPT TC in for harder shifts not because of slips/failure. Like the 1-2 shift we all have but now it's for all gears.

Matter of fact the whole 96' Drivetrain(trans, front center and rear diffs) takes this abuse.

BTW your better off swapping or supercharging.

Ya i have an automatic. And the problem with buying the wrx or the wrx swap is that I only make bank for three months. I work and make bank during the summer then during the winter not so much. Plus I like the body style of my 98 legacy more than any wrx I could afford by the end of summer. How much are jdm motors?

So in order to even boost my car i need a 02 wrx front subframe. How much do those run, and also how hard is it to put on. Is there any way that i can just keep the legacy subframe and just mod the stock parts or aftermarket parts

Archived