LegacyGT.com

Another launch thread, but this one's about wheel hop

NSFW

I bought a kevlar clutch knowing that if it burns just once, it will need to be replaced. I wasn't planning on drag racing again, and the driveability is indeed great, and this clutch holds up to my ATP 3076 just fine, so it's all good, right?

But lately I've been having impure thoughts. Drag racing was kinda fun, and there's a track not too far away where I could get in a lot more runs per night than I was getting before. Enough to make it worth doing again.

Since I don't want to risk burning the clutch, I figure I'll just let it up as quickly as I can, or maybe side-step it, and use wheel spin to keep the motor from bogging. (Note that if RPM goes below 4000, I've bogged, and the launch is worthless.)

So wheel spin should eliminate the need to slip the clutch, but it raises the concern of wheel hop. If I add tire pressure, would wheel hop become more likely, or less likely?

I like the idea of running high tire pressure (40-45) to facilitate spin, but if that makes hop more likely, then screw it. I'll just launch like a grandmother and see if the car can manage a respectable trap speed.

Any insight from folks out there who launch with wheel spin?

Thanks!

The thing with wheelspin and AWD is that if you get it wrong things get expensive in a hurry. If you have the power and want to go that route, pumping up the tires or using crappy tires is the way to go. Personally I would give it a little slip and go. If a clutch can't handle being driven it doesn't belong in the car - what are you supposed to do if youof ind yourself on a hill or you want to park your car???

Hill starts and the like are no problem at all, there's just no comparison. Starting on a hill, I'm satisfied if RPM stays about 1000 or so. Maybe 1500. For a drag start, dipping under 4000 ruins the launch.

How does one "get it wrong" with wheel spin? Is there anything other than wheel hop that I should be worried about?

I'm not willing to bet that there will be a warning warning before the clutch cooks. It's just too expensive to experiment with (not so much the money, but the time to replace). I'd rather burn tires than burn my clutch, they're cheaper to replace, and it's easy to measure how much life they have left in them.

I won't be using launch control. It might be fun to play with, so maybe later, but not soon.

The VC for the center diff is not sticky enough to transfer significant power to the rear. If the fronts hop, I'm sure they will spin.

I'm not willing to bet that there will be a warning warning before the clutch cooks. It's just too expensive to experiment with (not so much the money, but the time to replace). I'd rather burn tires than burn my clutch, they're cheaper to replace, and it's easy to measure how much life they have left in them.

I won't be using launch control. It might be fun to play with, so maybe later, but not soon.

The VC for the center diff is not sticky enough to transfer significant power to the rear. If the fronts hop, I'm sure they will spin.

Only option that would work would be the DCCD in max lockup setting.

453747.png

Only option that would work would be the DCCD in max lockup setting.

I realize that would work better, but why do you think it can't be done without it?

Oh - you may make it work in other cases too, but it all depends on engine power and if things hold together.

Weight distribution is also a factor. Load the trunk with enough weight and you can do weird things.

453747.png

Oh - you may make it work in other cases too, but it all depends on engine power and if things hold together.

Weight distribution is also a factor. Load the trunk with enough weight and you can do weird things.

I don't see that being advantageous for drag racing, though.

Anyway, I figure if I dump the clutch I'll just spin a front tire and still end up with a weak launch, plus a toasted center VC. So, screw this plan. I'll launch gently and hope that doesn't kill my trap speed.

Maybe with a 65/35 torque split, DCCD, and/or a better front diff, but I'm not sure I want those bad enough to buy them.

Archived