LegacyGT.com

Places to check out in/near Salt Lake City (to live)

TrueWhiteBoy

Hi, my company may be transferring me to their SLC office and I was curious what some good areas to check out for apartments/housing would be.

I'm coming from Southern California (Grew up in Irvine, if that means anything to anyone :lol:)

I was also curious what life in the area is like (how long winters are, or just any info that would be useful for an outsider).

Hmm, looks like it might be between SLC and Henderson, Nevada (just outside of Las Vegas)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you move to SLC, check out Sugarhouse. Grew up there... One of my favorite places to live. You're close to downtown and a lot of freeway access. Busy area, though. Best bang for the buck on the east side is probably Murray which is right in the middle of the valley; takes you 15 minutes to get anywhere.

Winters here are long and cold and the summers get really hot and dry. No humidity here. Most often you'll have your heater on in the morning and your AC on in the evening. Most diverse climate in the world here.

Henderson is pretty nice... I could never live in Nevada, but if I had to, it would be there.

First off, winters are not "cold" in Salt Lake. In fact, it has never been cold in Salt Lake - Minnesota, Wisconsin, the Dakotas, Montana ... those places get cold. Until you've skied in -40 degree weather, you haven't experienced cold. ;)

But on a serious note - if you like to do a lot of outdoor activities, there are a lot of offerings in Salt Lake. Great skiing to the east (but expensive), lots of mountain biking, hiking, fishing, boating. All very popular out there. If you're looking for nightlife/entertainment ... well, it's ok there. It has some cool areas. I don't know the name of the area, but there's a nice district near Energy Solutions Arena, and there are some cool places along State street near downtown. The Depot is actually an amazing concert venue (I'd put it in my top 5 of all venues I've ever visited).

As JDMChizad noted, it's a pretty good city with regard to getting around. It does seem like everything is 15 minutes (1/2 hour at most) to anything. I go to Salt Lake for work every month, and I usually stay in Layton which is about a half hour north of town. Works out great, and once I get to Salt Lake, everything I need to do is relatively nearby.

Biggest downside in my mind is the liquor laws, but they're getting better. There are a ton of microbreweries in Utah ... making 3.2 beer (they call it 4.0 beer, but that's a difference of measuring Alcohol by Volume versus measuring Alcohol by Weight. It's still the same thing.) The weird laws about having a membership to get into a bar have gone away.

It's still not a place I would choose to live, but I think I would like it over Henderson.

It snowed today if that gives you an idea of the weather.

As for where to live that would depend on what your looking for. Are you single? Family? Bar scene? School districts? Etc. Weather here blows. Culture is all messed up. It is by far the most morally corrupt place I've lived next to Vegas. Girls are easy, drugs abundant, etc.

Upside would be the economy is decent, Miller, and there is no traffic.

I still say the weather is not bad. People in the Rockies tend to be ... oh, how do I put it delicately ... Pussies ... when it comes to weather. Same way in Denver. "Oh no! It's 28 degrees! Bundle up, check the emergency kit in your trunk, don't let the dogs out too long!"

Weather is crazy everywhere. Difference is that in places like Denver and Salt Lake, the "crazy" temperature swings center around "livable" ranges. In Minnesota, you get 40+ degree swings that go from -30 to +10 (cold and snow) ... in Denver/Salt Lake, it might be +20 and snow in the morning to +60 and sunny in the afternoon. In Phoenix it might be +85 at midnight to +125 at 3pm ... they're all 40 degree swings ... but it only seems crazy when it's snow in the morning to debating wearing shorts for an afternoon run.

As far as corruption and drugs and such ... no way Salt Lake is that bad. The political corruption is the same as everywhere else ... it's Politics. Drugs, crime and such? No way it's as bad as cities like Albuquerque or Portland. And for the most part, downtown is one of the cleanest downtown areas I've seen anywhere!

And yes, the culture is a little weird at times, but you'll find the areas that fit you and then it will seem totally normal. It took me nearly 2 years to really ge to know the city (3-4 days at a time, mind you), but now it really doesn't seem too much different than "home" in Denver.

So yes, it has it's problems ... but that comes with being a major city. It will happen anywhere.

And hey, it's only a 4-5 hour drive to Vegas, so if you REALLY want to cut loose, you can get your fill and more then come back and settle back to reality any time you need. :)

Not sure where unreal is coming from here. The weather here is interesting...but like Brady said, it's certainly livable. As for corruption (drugs, girls, etc.) I've lived in a lot of cities, all of them as a young single man and Utah is no worse than any other and a little better than most. Just like any other city it's about where you choose to spend your time and who you choose to spend it with. For its size, SLC is pretty great. Big enough to feel like a city when you want it to, small enough to get away when you need to. With the possible exception of the Northwest, there is more outdoor stuff to do here than almost anywhere.

As far as where to live, I'll second JDMChizad on the sugarhouse part, one of my favorite areas, I also lived up in the avenues for awhile and would recommend that area as well. I've lived in Murray as well and would say that while it's the most affordable, it was my least favorite area of the three.

Well I've lived in Socal, Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque. I've never had issues in any of those citys. With in a week of moving to SLC I saw more drugs then I've seen in my whole life. Pills, cocaine, weed. Everywhere I went people were doing lines and popping pills. I've never seen that elsewhere. Also I've never lived anywhere else where I've had stranges and couples come up to me and ask me to have sex with them or do a 3 some. That is just strange. I've had 2 guys ask me if I would have sex with their wives so they could watch. I've had 3 other couples as me to be in a 3 some with them. I'm not down for 2 poles and a hole. When I was single out here dating, almost every single girl I would go out with would try to jump me on the first date. I've had girls show up at my place to go out, walk in and start undressing asking to screw.

Maybe I just have a bunch of wierd random experiences. It isn't like I'm going out looking for this stuff.

Well I've lived in Socal, Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque. I've never had issues in any of those citys. With in a week of moving to SLC I saw more drugs then I've seen in my whole life. Pills, cocaine, weed. Everywhere I went people were doing lines and popping pills. I've never seen that elsewhere. Also I've never lived anywhere else where I've had stranges and couples come up to me and ask me to have sex with them or do a 3 some. That is just strange. I've had 2 guys ask me if I would have sex with their wives so they could watch. I've had 3 other couples as me to be in a 3 some with them. I'm not down for 2 poles and a hole. When I was single out here dating, almost every single girl I would go out with would try to jump me on the first date. I've had girls show up at my place to go out, walk in and start undressing asking to screw.

Maybe I just have a bunch of wierd random experiences. It isn't like I'm going out looking for this stuff.

Don't you live in South Jordan, or Provo area? I live right downtown and have not seen or heard of anything like this. Where are you hanging out?

To the OP. Every place has its ups and downs, but there are some nice places here. Sugarhouse, the avenues and even downtown isn't bad. Plus, if you are an outdoor junkie, there's always something to do, no matter what month of the year it is.

I live in West Jordan, by I215. I like it but I would still live further SW if I could (South Jordan, Herriman, Riverton) The roads are getting better around the SL valley as far as travel time, and there is always stuff to do in UT. There are a lot of local meets and the car scene is pretty good here. There are a lot of outdoors stuff to do as well. Let us know where you end up!

Downtown SLC is a completely different place... Same with Park City, West Valley, Utah County... Seem to be drastic changes from city to city here; don't know if that's normal in other states.

downtown really just seems like any city of its size. there are a lot of events that most people do not know about and such. i have an aunt in sandy...like night and day...i live in a very "liberal" upcoming part of downtown (by the gateway). it's really not as bad as people think. and there are a lot of nice restaurants, like cucina toscana.

I grew up in Chico CA (Chico State, anyone?) Lot's of old hippies and frat kids, but it had some great things about it as well. It's all about how you want it to be. You could be miserable here just as well as any other city. OP, if you are looking at condo's downtown there are some cool projects to consider.

I've lived downtown... Loved it other than the traffic. Lived all over Utah County, Salt Lake County, and Summit County. Must say that I'm pretty happy in Sandy, but would love to go back to Sugarhouse as well.

Yeah, we almost bought a house in sugarhouse. Beatuiful area.

The traffic can suck as well as most of the drivers. I live close to energy solutions arena and after jazz games everyone drives like an asshole...

That's kind of a bummer, I was hoping traffic would be a lot less (comparably anyway).

Sounds like a cool town. I was hoping it'd be a bit cheaper compared to southern California, but it doesn't seem too bad (Geez, Vegas has brand new 3 bedroom houses for 120k asking price).

Any secret through the forest rally paths that I should save up and buy an Impreza for? :)

Yeah, I agree with 311logan. Traffic even in its worse is very mild compared to L.A. or most of CA. A lot less population density probably explains that. I have lived in and or within 15 miles of downtown SLC my whole life and live about 3 miles from the Energy Solutions Arena/The Gateway Mall and working about 20 miles away takes me about 15 minutes to drive at anytime of the day but 4-6 pm then it's maybe 20 to 25 minutes. (If that helps at all)

Sugarhouse is an AWESOME area with a lot of cool places to go or to even just walk around. Downtown SLC is the same way. Sugarhouse is prob a little harder to find a place to buy because everyone wants to live there but downtown SLC always has really cool condos/apartments for rent or sale. But definitely depends what type of living style you want or what your family situation is like. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Yeah, I agree with 311logan. Traffic even in its worse is very mild compared to L.A. or most of CA. A lot less population density probably explains that. I have lived in and or within 15 miles of downtown SLC my whole life and live about 3 miles from the Energy Solutions Arena/The Gateway Mall and working about 20 miles away takes me about 15 minutes to drive at anytime of the day but 4-6 pm then it's maybe 20 to 25 minutes. (If that helps at all)

Sugarhouse is an AWESOME area with a lot of cool places to go or to even just walk around. Downtown SLC is the same way. Sugarhouse is prob a little harder to find a place to buy because everyone wants to live there but downtown SLC always has really cool condos/apartments for rent or sale. But definitely depends what type of living style you want or what your family situation is like. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

I can see both from my condo ;)

Archived