LegacyGT.com

Auto vs. Manual

Amen, Beanboy.

A stick is a requirement for me, as well as not-FWD. That limits the market tremendously. Drivetrain arrangement is designed into the car, so that isn't easily changed, but a manual or automatic should be an option on almost all cars, save maybe the likes of a buick park avenue.

BTW, Bretm, that pic of the F430 is a nice picture. That car is sex on wheels.

I always liked the more classic design of the F355 than the odd lines of the 360. The 430 blows them all out of the water by cleaning up the 360's lines significantly, and adding the 50's 156-F1 style shark nose.

If I had the lifestyle and wealth, I would seriously buy one of those, where most ferraris I would be satisfied to simply admire in someone else's ownership.

Manumatics are for fags

Lot of fags out there. Mom, Dad, Sis, Uncle Joe, Mike Schumacher , Big Daddy Don Garlits and probably even your father. Don't give up your day job as chief of absolutely idiotic logic.;)

I'll assume the wink is acknowledgement that my comment was intentionally inflammatory and completely tongue-in-cheek. :rolleyes:

Your rebuttal lacks weight, however, as the first group you identify drive automatics, they're not manually shifting their AutoStick, TipTronic, Sensatronic (insert the rest of the BS marketing terms here) on a regular basis because it's dumb.

M. Schumacher drives a manual transmission with an automatic clutch, and he does so because it upshifts and downshifts waaay quicker than any human ever could, thus improving lap times. If you think your manumatic-equipped Legacy shifts quicker than a manual (or has lower 0-60 times) when you're furiously button-pushing to beat the lowered Civic next to you, I have some dissapointing news for you.

You forgot the designers and owners of the Ferrari F430, which only comes with a Tiptronic.

You insult Ferraris all around the world when you apply a Porsche marketing term for an auto transmission to a car equipped with a manual transmission that has an automatic clutch. There's no torque converter, son.

Nonetheless, if I had a Ferrari, I seriously doubt I would buy the F1 transmission as I don't think I would be tracking it enough to take advantage. Besides,leaving your Ferrari in "auto" mode while cruising around to me seem just plain wrong.

Redline,

You won, & "idiot" may have been a little too much on my part. You certainly don't pull any punches yourself though.

As far as the whole need for you all to drill into us auto driving fags that our tranny still is not the same as the electronic manual in the Ferrari your argument was missing "nyah, nyah" along with maybe a foot stomping.

I would almost bet my left eyeball though that If you looked at a cross-section of the 5EAT(which I think has the same actual gear ratios as your 5 speed) you would see a series of clutches. Granted, we do not have hair trigger gear changes, but I'm certain the gear changes occur with the help of clutches in the 5EAT. There is a valve body which works with line pressure to activate the planetary gears and "clutch packages". I know BMW is not much different. Porsche & Ferrari- I honestly don't know but I would gather there are similarities.

As far as the digs on insulting other owners with whatever tradename tranny you want to call it, give me a break. I think you are looking for anything you can dissect and spin to your remarkably weighted rebuttals versus my dumb faggy ones.

This sure beats work.

This is not my beautiful car.

There's no real dig, to be honest...I'm just looking for distractions from work like the rest :)

re: Idiot comment...I had it coming and laughed as much as the next guy ,as I don't take any of this seriously. That's what you get for trying to not get caught up in all the PC-ness of messageboards these days; I get enough of that at work.

Everyone has the right to choose whatever they want to drive; I'm not judging anyone based on what transmission they opted for when they picked up their cars. Driving feel is so subjective that it's a pointless argument that has no winners anyways, especially when talking about family sedans where performance is not the first priority.

re: Transmission tech. I don't want to beat the proverbial dead horse but yes, all auto transmissions have "clutch packages" which are engaged and disengaged by hydraulic pressure with a torque converter transmitting power fron the engine to the transmission. This is not the same as a manual transmission which uses an automatically-controlled, hydraulically activated clutch between the flywheel and transmission to engage/disengage engine power as well another system to force gear changes when the clutch is engaged. Admittedly, this is an overly simplistic expanation but Porsche does not have this and Subaru certainly does not as well. BMW, Ferrari, Toyota, and Alfa are the only makes who do use in on production cars to my limited knowledge.

This is why I bagged on manumatics, the shift up/down buttons do little more than electrically commanding the auto trans to shift, something that was accomplished by moving the PRNDL selector for the first 60 years of auto tranny design. If it enhances your enjoyment of an auto-equipped car, go for it, but everytime I've played with one, I didn't get the hype the system promised since 1) the shifts were so slow and 2) you could feel the cushioning of the torque converter on acceleration and deceleration. I ended up leaving the car in "D".

:) It's all friendly stuff. Talk about obsessing (I mean me). I keep a 2x4 handy to wack myself in the head whenever I get too caught up in this stuff. I think I need to pay more attention to my wife. (she drives an auto-but she's a girl-oops):)

Kind of went off topic-I think this thread is dead.

Next Please

This is not my beautiful car.

Heh. I Keed.

My main thing for choosing the Auto was the bad stories about the manuals on the WRX and since this was my first time getting a car I didn't want to take a chance, you know what I mean. But next time I'm in the market, I'll go for teh manual.

I hope your transmission lasts forever, cause I would hate to be wrong.:D

Oops, I meant "cause I would hate to be right". Ahh, potato - potatoe, AWD - FWD, Auto - Manual, Left - Right, what's the difference.:p

You insult Ferraris all around the world when you apply a Porsche marketing term for an auto transmission to a car equipped with a manual transmission that has an automatic clutch. There's no torque converter, son.

Nonetheless, if I had a Ferrari, I seriously doubt I would buy the F1 transmission as I don't think I would be tracking it enough to take advantage. Besides,leaving your Ferrari in "auto" mode while cruising around to me seem just plain wrong.

First, I'm not your son, or at least I don't think so.:)

Second, I got the word "tiptronic" from some website I googled up about the F430, which as you pointed out has inaccurate information and I'm not a marketing whore.;)

Assuming a manual or automatic shift the same, being able to keep both hands on the steering wheel while changing gears I think gives your more control compared to having to take your hand off the wheel to shift, especially when your taking a corner. As I take corners at 90mph, I love that feature, but for most people its useless w.r.t. street driving, but it's essential on tracks.

{<-:)

Mojo

I keed I keeed

Hhhhhmmmmmm.

You know, all I wanted to say when I started this was, Manual and Automatics are different (just like people), and this (in my humble opinion) is how they are different type of thread.

Nether one is better or worse.

After driving the car 300 miles, including 3 hours of stop and go LA traffic this Friday, I can say that I personally still like the Manual a little better then the Manual.

I also know, that I would be very happy with the Auto, just like I am with the Manual.

The Manual was not bad in Stop-N-Go (SNG), the clutch is very light (easy to push in - but I'm a cyclist with tree stumps for legs) and has a nice amount of modulation.

Also, second gear is quite flexable so I could do a lot with good driving and giving enough space to the car ahead of me - to reduce clutch work in SNG. Still, I could see that of course the auto would be slightly more confortable.

I also took some twisty back roads, and just loved row row, row your Leg :D, ah that felt good and the car was very "alive" with the manual. I am sure it would be a great experience with the Auto, just a different experience.

Definately need to get the Bluetooth headset for my phone, rowing and phoning don't work so well together.

If there is one thing I would like to change, is the width of the dead pedal area - would be great if it was wider.

Yeah, just suits the person and the application.

There is one more pro to autos that i didn't see mentioned: auto 4WD's are easier to launch than manual 4WD's and it won't do any damage to the car :)

Archived