LegacyGT.com

Dan Neil on the legacy

Guest JessterCPA
renault seemed like they were pretty instrumental at getting nissan back up on its feet, and look at them now. they have some pretty respectable vehicles in their stable. powerful altimas and maximas, and you cant forget the 350z. the xterra seems to be doing well, same with the frontier. overall, they seem to have a pretty solid lineup.i feel they have toyota and honda beat on at least one thing - making their cars exciting.

What is takes, is a good source of capital in order to create a couple of mid-level cars that will sell in big volume. Nissan came out with a new Altima and Pathfinder(in order to shore up those vital segments), and spent the rest of their money re-vamping Infinity. Seemed to have worked. Now all they need is a Sentra that can really compete with Civic. 350z was an image car. They had no intentions of saving the company with that car.

GM needs to make cars new people will actually buy. They have their core fan base that will buy GM forever. They need to steal from Ford, Chrysler, and the imports. A solid mid size car is what they need. The Cobalt (and its various offshoots) seen to have a good chance at going after Civic/Sentra/Corolla. The G6 and whatever badge Chevy puts on its version just does not seem up to the task. If I am in that market, I am buying Accord or Camry. Period.

GM trucks also do not seem up to the task anymore. Except for its premium trucks (Denali, Caddy), most others do not keep up with the pack. Personally, I think the 5 cylinder in the Colorado is a mistake.

if they kill of pontiac, i wonder how creative they will get in blanding out and borifying the GTO. i'm not a big GM fan at all - the vette makes the exception...however, the GTO is the only other exception on my list. the layout of the interior may be indicative of typical GM/pontiac styling, but man, do those '05's move like balls...but alas, paying 34 large, just doesnt seem like a smart investment...

I know this is way off topic, but couldn't help commenting on the relative values. I live in Australia and I don't think you guys in North America know how good you've got it over there! (when it comes to car prices at least;) ) Not only do you get spoiled with choice, but you get the best prices on the planet.

For instance the Pontiac GTO at $34k is a steal. The GM Holden Monaro (same car) costs the equivalent of $46k here, and it is designed and built in Australia! Go figure! They put Pontiac badges on them, ship them to the USA and cut $12k off the price... that's just not fair... Great car though. I drive one at the moment (5.7l GenIII) and love it to death.

For comparison the Legacy (Liberty) GT down here, in near equivalent spec to your Ltd, sells for $40800.... (5sp man, 2.0l turbo, Japan build) Still a relative bargain but we weep when we see the US prices

For comparison the Legacy (Liberty) GT down here, in near equivalent spec to your Ltd, sells for $40800....

Hey Oz, aren't you comparing Australian dollars to U.S. Dollars? Isnt there an exchange rate difference?

Exchange rate:

1 US Dollar = 1.28607 Australian Dollar

1 Australian Dollar (AUD) = 0.77756 US Dollar (USD)

Cost in Australia: $66,490 AUD

USD Equivilant: $47,035

For a Sunroof and NAV add another $6,400 AUD to that.

Link to the Monaro (GTO) on Holden's site in AUS:

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/modeloverview?modelid=12001

Dave.

Hey Oz, aren't you comparing Australian dollars to U.S. Dollars? Isnt there an exchange rate difference?

No, sadly I've done the conversion! In AUD$ the LGT is $53,000. But compared to an Audi or BMW still great value I have to say

How much do you pay for gas, err petrol?

Yeah, thats not fair either.... 96 octane unleaded is about US$3.22 per US gallon (that's US$0.85 per litre or AUD$1.10 per litre) That's this week anyway! Prices are up and down like a yoyo, but mainly up. That positions us somehwere between the super cheap gas in the USA and the top-shelf expensive stuff they sell in Europe!

And meanwhile, Back on the TOPIC!

From Dan Neil's article...

an intercooled/turbocharged 2.5-liter boxer with dual-overhead cams (250 hp), a detuned version of the 300-hp bazooka in the WRX STi; and a normally aspirated, 3.0-liter flat-six (also 250 hp) that should offer smoother and torque-rich driving character.

I thought the 3.0R had less torque than the 2.5T in the OBXT and LGT? Maybe a more linear curve, but less is less, and undermines the "torque-rich" description. If he'd said smoother torque delivery I might believe him on that one point. Just an observation...

One more thing...

...with leather and power seats, heated mirrors, sunroof, electroluminescent instruments and glowing logos in the door thresholds.

WHA???? Glowing logos in the Door thresholds.... Maybe I just haven't had the opportunity, but this would be where? Are there Electroluminescent logos in the door sill plates or something? I can't believe I would not have noticed that, but I have only driven the car once on a daylight test drive.

Over all, though, I really enjoyed the article and Mr Neil does write very well, even if his religion metaphor is a bit stretched, and inanimate machines personified to fit said metaphor. It was an interesting illustration.

WHA???? Glowing logos in the Door thresholds.... Maybe I just haven't had the opportunity, but this would be where? Are there Electroluminescent logos in the door sill plates or something? I can't believe I would not have noticed that, but I have only driven the car once on a daylight test drive.

Yeah, they are there on my LTD. Open the door, and look down, you should see them. Its really only noticable at night, but then again, the light is drowned out by the dome and door lights pretty easily.

Jesus, Dan has still not done a GT though. I've hounded him already for nearly a year about doing a Legacy GT only article.

He's a cool dood for sure. Just moved to Eagle Rock, used to live in Silverlake across the street from my bud. It was nutz, he'd always have the bomb ass cars outside on the street. Recently the CLS, Bentley and the Beemer 6 series cabrio. Man those were the days, but alas, he must be tired fakes that have overun 'Silverlake'...I guess Eagle Rock is a tad better.

BTW, best quote from his article for me is:

"Subaru sold 187,400 cars in the U.S. in 2004. Its days as a bongs-and-beards specialty brand are well behind it."

hehe, he said bong...

Archived