LegacyGT.com

Where to put jackstands so they don't crush sheetmetal

They are the FACTORY JACKING POINTS, I believe that a safe inference is that they can be used for jacking the car :lol:

You can't use the whole seam but if anyone actually ever LOOKED at an actual car, they would see that the areas shown in the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL are reinforced - one could assume that they are reinforced for use as jacking points, which means that they can be used to jack the car :lol:

They are the FACTORY JACKING POINTS, I believe that a safe inference is that they can be used for jacking the car :lol:

You can't use the whole seam but if anyone actually ever LOOKED at an actual car, they would see that the areas shown in the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL are reinforced - one could assume that they are reinforced for use as jacking points, which means that they can be used to jack the car :lol:

Dont forget to add some Spec B oil to the jack for extra protection! :spin:

Since there's a thread started, where do you guys jack the car from when you want the front up on jackstands? I have a real hard time seeing where the saddle is under the car to use the brace between the engine and tranny, the belly pan is in the way, and the car is almost too low for my jack to fit under there, maybe I just need more practice? If you jack from the side, then the jack is where you would put the jackstand, so that doesn't work real well.

whitetiger- Any reason not to reuse the copper gaskets on the 2 rear diff bolts (6 speed). The stealer wants $7/each for them.

if you can crush them some more to make a good seal, then i dont see why you can re-use them. i reuse the oil plug crush ring a few times before i replace it.

Jeebus Rao, I INFER that you didn't read my question.

I didn't ask if I could jack from them. I asked if i needed a special jack pad designed to embrace the seam weld, as shown in the pictures in the PDF you attached, or if I could just jack up on them with a normal perfectly flat jack pad without crimping the metal.

There is stuff you can get if you do not want to scratch the metal (corrosion issues, although the dealership probably already has when they did PDI).

http://images.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/95900-95999/95952.gif

These are my next jack stands:

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/146640_lg.jpg

There are others you can get.

• 1 year later...

Archived