LegacyGT.com

Toyota Does It Again...

Consumer Reports just released a safety warning on a Lexus SUV. They just got done with the recalls on gas pedals and sudden acceleration in a bunch of their Toyota models and now the Lexus has rollover issues because the traction control system sucks.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/13/autos/consumer_reports_lexus_gx460/index.htm?hpt=T1

It's cool; I'm with the band

They were going over 60 MPH in a huge SUV and performed a "severe handling maneuver" Of course there is going to be a risk of rolling over. Not defending Toyota but it reminds me of the whole Explorer rollover debacle.

Oh please they are complaining that the traction control does not override the car and make it tragically understeer into a ditch. I watched the video. So they made a SUV that is a real truck with RWD and will actually drift.

ALL SUV ARE TOO FREAKING TALL AND CAN ROLL.

Yet another stupid piece of media sensationalism.

Anyone remember the old SUV videos where are rig had to be attached to the suv to keep them from rolling? Now those were issues.

This SUV merely looks lively and may actually dare we say... FUN?

rao strikes again with the sarcasm :lol:

I was just pointing out CR giving out their Do Not Buy tag, and since a lot of people live and die by CR recommendations, there might be some issues with sales because of this. Most people won't watch the video or read through the article, they'll just see that or read in CR not to buy one and then won't even look at one when they're shopping for a new luxury SUV.

Keep in mind, CR also says that 4th gen LGTs are a used car to avoid.

It's cool; I'm with the band

A few years ago I jumped out of my WRX and into the wifes Land Rover Discovery. The Landy should have a sticker on the visor "Warning Dumb-ass the Disco does not handle like your WRX". The wife was nagging about something and I may have been going too fast anywhoo... 45 degree corner + sand + top heavy real SUV = 2 wheels in the air + elevated heart rate. If not for my cat-like reflexes and Schumacher-like driving skills could of rolled it. The wife should have told me how awesome my driving was instead of punching me in the arm. Women.:rolleyes:

A few years ago I jumped out of my WRX and into the wifes Land Rover Discovery. The Landy should have a sticker on the visor "Warning Dumb-ass the Disco does not handle like your WRX". The wife was nagging about something and I may have been going too fast anywhoo... 45 degree corner + sand + top heavy real SUV = 2 wheels in the air + elevated heart rate. If not for my cat-like reflexes and Schumacher-like driving skills could of rolled it. The wife should have told me how awesome my driving was instead of punching me in the arm. Women.:rolleyes:

Next time your in there, flip the visor down. All of my 4x4s had a sticker up there saying something to that extent, though they worded it a bit nicer. :lol:

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

They were going over 60 MPH in a huge SUV and performed a "severe handling maneuver" Of course there is going to be a risk of rolling over. Not defending Toyota but it reminds me of the whole Explorer rollover debacle.

Which is why I don't understand the whole concept of the quick as crap SUV. Porsche Cayenne turbo comes to mind.

Porsche Cayenne turbo

Howbout...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlqBn9pzETw]YouTube- BMW X5 M vs Audi Q7 V12 TDI[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf7qx8v1jhU]YouTube- TopGear - BMW X5M vs Audi V12 TDI power laps[/ame]

mmmmmmmmmmmm?

Makes a bit more sense to have a diesel SUV that is quick, but not much. And none of them really are that quick. Nevertheless, even the if the SUV gets 30 MPG, why would it ever need to hit 60 MPH in less than 6 seconds? These vehicles are top heavy and have a history of flipping over. Just because a vehicle has stability control doesnt mean you can drive it like a performance coupe. I just don't understand why if you feel compelled to drive a fast vehicle you don't buy one that is agile, light(er) weight, and can handle speed. The whole quick SUV thing is an oxymoron to me.

That being said, the GX is a vehicle that I wouldnt mind seeing go away. Lexus doesn't sell all that many of them anymore.

Makes a bit more sense to have a diesel SUV that is quick, but not much. And none of them really are that quick. Nevertheless, even the if the SUV gets 30 MPG, why would it ever need to hit 60 MPH in less than 6 seconds? These vehicles are top heavy and have a history of flipping over. Just because a vehicle has stability control doesnt mean you can drive it like a performance coupe. I just don't understand why if you feel compelled to drive a fast vehicle you don't buy one that is agile, light(er) weight, and can handle speed. The whole quick SUV thing is an oxymoron to me.

Why not? If you can afford a quick SUV and you desire one then you should be able to buy one.

Also keep in mind that quick acceleration and high power output may not be needed in an unburdened vehicle, but it will come in really damn handy if you are towing or hauling anything.

Why not? If you can afford a quick SUV and you desire one then you should be able to buy one.

What if I could afford to skydive from my own airplane into the Grand Canyon? Desire and cash doesn't make something safe.

Also keep in mind that quick acceleration and high power output may not be needed in an unburdened vehicle, but it will come in really damn handy if you are towing or hauling anything.

Hence the diesel. Nevetheless, I don't know how many people will be buying an X5 M for towing.

What if I could afford to skydive from my own airplane into the Grand Canyon? Desire and cash doesn't make something safe.

So you have some theory that because an SUV can be quick then it is inherently unsafe because of this? You really don't use your brain much do you?

Once again you seem to think you should be able to dictate to others what they should and should not want, and what they should and should not do. Get over yourself, you're really not that exceptionally bright. At least not form what I can observe on this site. :lol:

Trust me, the feeling is mutual.

Well at least we agree on that part.

Unfortunately for you the facts back up my criticism in this case. Although a vehicle like the BMW X5 M (or whatever the hell they call it) may be silly, pointless, and a rolling oxymoron I don't think I would call it unsafe. Sure it can accelerate very quickly, and it is big and heavy but it also handles better than most cars (including apparently a Porsche Carrera 4S last time Top Gear tested one), and stops with aplomb. You may not like it, but fact is that it is safer doing 140MPH down an autobahn than your car is doing 80MPH down the interstate. :lol:

Are all SUV's similarly capable of great handling? Of course not, real utility vehicles can go off road and have body on frame construction, and although they may be quick to get up to speed usually don't have the gearing for high top speeds.

You may not like it, but fact is that it is safer doing 140MPH down an autobahn than your car is doing 80MPH down the interstate. :lol:

Either prove it or quit speaking out of your ass. I realize that the latter is difficult for you to do.

Either prove it or quit speaking out of your ass. I realize that the latter is difficult for you to do.

Prove what? That a BMW X5 M has more stability, mechanical grip, and stronger braking than your shit box Legacy?

Well compare the two then:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1999/subaru/legacy/14378/specs.html

http://www.insideline.com/bmw/x5-m/2010/2010-bmw-x5-m-full-test-and-video.html

As far as the X5 M beating a Porsche around the Top Gear test track watch the video for yourself and pay attention for once. :lol:

You said that the X5 would be safer at 140 MPH than the LGT at 80 MPH and neither of these links back that up. The link about the Legacy tells me nothing. Stopping distances might be a start man. Maybe some skidpad info.

And who cares about the Porsche vs. X5? You brought it up, not me. Reading comprehension is something you should work on.

Archived