LegacyGT.com

Rough Idle 2002 GT...

Stormy

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2002 Legacy GT with just over 60K. Here's what I'm getting. After the car has warmed up, the idle will drop to about 250-300 rpm. When I drive it around for a while and come to a stop, it will do one of two things... It will idle at about 750-800 rpm and then drop down to 250-300 rpm or it will drop bwlow 250 rpm or stall all together.

The Check engine light has come on and the dealer has had the car in the shop while the CEL was on. The dealer has replaced two Idle Air Control Valve's and still doing the same thing.

Any help on this would be great!

Thanks!

Yeah look, that happens usually well after the service period. Nothing to really worry about unless the GT is actually stalling all the time. Next time your in for a service, let the SA know and they will adjust the RPMs accordingly. This will help to stabilise the RPMs later in the service cycle. This was happening to mine but once adjusted it was AOK.

Let us know how you go though.

Adam.

Hmm I had a problem like that with my '97 GT and I had to replace the fuel pump and the problem is pretty much gone. I have also had that problem too with my older Loyale station wagons ('88 and '89) both standard and its pretty common for Subies to have rough idles from time to time. Good luck figuring it out though

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Yeah look, that happens usually well after the service period. Nothing to really worry about unless the GT is actually stalling all the time. Next time your in for a service, let the SA know and they will adjust the RPMs accordingly. This will help to stabilise the RPMs later in the service cycle. This was happening to mine but once adjusted it was AOK.

Let us know how you go though.

Adam.

Thanks for the replies!

It will stall twice on a 15 minute stop and go ride.

I don't think I mentioned it but its a 5 speed

Any other thoughts?

There are 3 things that you can check.. Fuel, Spark, Idle control.. It sounds like the idle control valves have been replaced. However, you may have a real gummed up intake system. It may be worth taking off the intake manifold/throttle body and cleaning out all the carbon/oil.

Fuel is a bit tougher. If it's a fuel delivery problem, you'll need to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to measure the idle pressure. A service manual will be invaluable here..

Also, when was the last time you had a tuneup done? Worn/fouled plugs can cause all kinds of running problems. Also, you may want to run some fuel system cleaner through the system (maybe a few times).. Redline makes an excellent fuel system treatment.

What was the check engine code?

There are 3 things that you can check.. Fuel, Spark, Idle control.. It sounds like the idle control valves have been replaced. However, you may have a real gummed up intake system. It may be worth taking off the intake manifold/throttle body and cleaning out all the carbon/oil.

Fuel is a bit tougher. If it's a fuel delivery problem, you'll need to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to measure the idle pressure. A service manual will be invaluable here..

Also, when was the last time you had a tuneup done? Worn/fouled plugs can cause all kinds of running problems. Also, you may want to run some fuel system cleaner through the system (maybe a few times).. Redline makes an excellent fuel system treatment.

How about spark plug wires? My previous car had rough idles, hesitation, etc. and I replaced the wires (which looked just fine) and my RPMs leveled out to normal levels and it ran fine again.

Just a suggestion. Good luck and let us know what is ends up being.

-S

I was at the dealer this morning. The SA told me there were 3 codes. The air idle controller, O2 sensor, and the cat converters. They are going to replace the converters today... I'm sure they did them one at a time to try and save a buck :mad:

Personally, I don't see how replacing the converters are going to fix this issue.

I mentioned in my other post that they replaced 2 AIC but this morning they said they replaced the O2 sensor on the first visit. So after today they will have replaced all 3 fault codes (witch they should have done it the first place).

One other thing I noticed this morning when driving to the dealer.

If I am rolling with my foot on the clutch at about 5 MPH, the RPM's stay at about 750 RPM. It's when the car comes to a stop is when this happenes.

A quick update. I test drove the car with the head tech and he said everthing seems normal. When I got home last night, CEL came on. This morning they said that it has a bad tranny sensor of some sort (don't remember exactly what he said). The car is still stalling and idling low.

The saga continues....

• 2 weeks later...

The current error code is P0420. The dealer said they replaced the converters but after looking under the car, i saw that they didn't.

Also, after they said they fixed it, they slapped an inspection sticker on it that they owed me. My state does OBDII testing. My guess is that they cleared the error and then tested it. As far as the sticker goes, it that legal what they did? My guess is not at all.

• 12 years later...
Has anyone ever resolved this issue yet??? I have the exact same thing going on with my 2002 LGT 5 speed and though I havent had my cats replaced or o2 sensors I have replaced the idle air control valve and it did nothing. I have cleaned the throttle plate and I am still having the issue, any help is much appreciated!

Archived