LegacyGT.com

stereo time!

so my stereo's starting to cut in and out (the head unit, radio, whatever you may call it), and I'm almost positive it's just the wiring back there, but I've been meaning to upgrade the stock unit for some time. A few bulbs have also blown on the unit, and I'm sick of fishing around for buttons at night. I've been talking to this guy about a newer wrx head unit that will mount right up without any mods and without that stupid gap below the unit (I want it to look clean and kind of stock, preferably with a 6cd), but before I go anywhere with that, I wanted to throw this up on the forum to see what people have, what people like, and what they think is ridiculous, out of place, or just plain stupid. Here's the unit I'm looking at now, let me know what you guys think!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-Stereo-6-Disc-CD-Tape-Player_W0QQitemZ170467028234QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Audio_Video?hash=item27b0a06d0a

My head unit is still the original and it is in excellent condition. But I'm going to upgrade soon, I think I'm just going to get a Pioneer or Apline Stereo because I want to get a unit with iPod integration.

I like the cds much better; the ipod is ok, but i've got a transmitter, and you need to crank up the volume to hear the ipod well, and sometimes there's interference. I love clean sound to rock out to (sometimes I put on my band's music :D)

Holy money overload dude!!! I'm a highschool kid looking for a reasonable upgrade, not top of the line $1000 awesomeness that the mcintosh puts out! I can't swing that; I'm just looking for better sound quality, 6cd maybe, and something where the bulbs aren't blown. dreaming isn't bad though haha.

Eh, I just throw a best o the best on. with 6cds in there though, I can have...a million songs! but it'd make things simpler, and I could probably swing over 100 songs, which would keep me entertained for awhile haha. and you don't have to worry about the ipod cutting out!

Haha I have a transmitter that I use when I drive my dad's truck and my mom's suburban and it is always interesting to pull up to a stop light and have someone elses music start playing along with your own.

I've got an interesting taste in music to say the least haha. I'd rather not hear other music magically pop on when I'm jamming to stuff that I want!

I think I'm gonna go with the 2002 wrx stock unit. it's cheap enough, and has everything me and my brother want. we shall see, but tearing down the dash really isn't that bad. I had the thing disassembled in 10-15 minutes, going blind into it!

I like the cds much better; the ipod is ok, but i've got a transmitter, and you need to crank up the volume to hear the ipod well, and sometimes there's interference. I love clean sound to rock out to (sometimes I put on my band's music :D)

Holy money overload dude!!! I'm a highschool kid looking for a reasonable upgrade, not top of the line $1000 awesomeness that the mcintosh puts out! I can't swing that; I'm just looking for better sound quality, 6cd maybe, and something where the bulbs aren't blown. dreaming isn't bad though haha.

Haha the McIntosh was suggested in jest. :lol: Get something for like 20 bucks and listen on.

i upgraded my cd last week i had a panasonic but went with an alpine with an ipod cord, which i quickly wired to stick out my ebrake :p gotta drill and pick a better spot for that later. but everyone on this forum should be getting a new cd deck, because it will enhance even the stock speakers. until it blows them =P

psi that's what I'm looking for! thanks for the pic, it looks sharp :) any noticeable improvement in sound?

maybe bass already answered that haha. the sound rly doesn't sound too good now...

i upgraded my cd last week i had a panasonic but went with an alpine with an ipod cord, which i quickly wired to stick out my ebrake :p gotta drill and pick a better spot for that later. but everyone on this forum should be getting a new cd deck, because it will enhance even the stock speakers. until it blows them =P

Hey look at my thread for the iPod cord location. I love it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-bored-134889.html

the alpine ipod attachment clips onto a standard usb part, so i also use my car to charge my blackberry!

and i dont have stock speakers, if you throw a new deck in you rpobably will blow the stockers pretty quick but you will get alot more bass and quality in the sound and control to tune it to your liking

and i was thinking of that subi kid but i want my cord to be in the open so im thinking the little rectangle change holder by the ebrake so i can rest my ipod or blackberry in there, and if i get a message not have to pull it out of the console

If you guys ever get into car audio and install subs in your car, unless its under 200 watts your gonna need a capacitor because i find my electrical system isnt able to take it very well.

looks great!

ok another big question: I know the stock speakers are gonna sound much better with the new head unit, so do you guys think new speakers are necessary? if I find some and the price is right maybe, but what's the word?

Archived