LegacyGT.com

MY car won't let me put gas into it..it only lets me put like .10 cents at a time

chergrant

I don't know what to do...should I take it to a shop and let them charge me an outrageous price? or does any one on here know what could be causing it? I tried to have my boyfriend pull it all apart and look at it and he couldn't figure out how the vent was ran so that got me NO WHERE!! but if there is some one out there that could help me I would appreciate it! Thank you!

This is probably a retarded question, but have you tried more than one pump at different stations?

These new pumps are very finicky, and are designed to NOT work if too much vapor is released into the atmosphere, so you don't blow up.

What year is this car?

Clogged vent? Faulty pump? If your boyfriend is mechanically inclined have him take some tools to it and find out what's the matter. If not, I'd say bring it to a shop and let them charge you an arm and a leg to fix it. Don't let them go overboard though, some shops see a female as prey. If they tell you you need a new filler hose, fuel pump, and gas tank tell them where they can shove it and go somewhere else. A female relative of mine paid $1,000 one time to fix a timing chain when the problem was a leaking head gasket. Turns out the guy never even replaced the timing chain. That leads me to another thing, if they said they replaced something, ask to see the old part. If they can't show it to you then they didn't replace it.

that happened to me when I had a nissan sentra. It turned out that there was something that got into the gas line and cost me a couple of hundred bucks at a local place. It was quite a pain. If you've tried putting gas in at several places and it is not working, get it in to the shop.

• 3 weeks later...
In every fuel fillter neck there is a large plastic check valve in the shape of a ball. Usually its the size of a golf ball on these cars but can be larger usually depending on the size of the vehicle. With out a doubt try a different pump which I am assuming you did. If that does not work find a flexible metal rod thin enought to fit down the fuel filler neck and LIGHTY tap the check valve to free it up. Also you could try a blow nozzle. Blow alot of air pressure into the tank(preferably with low fuel level) to also try to free up the valve. It could be stuck cause the pump to auto shut off. Goodluck

Archived