LegacyGT.com

The official oklahoma meet thread

schado

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't decide between ordering strut tower braces or sway bars for the front and rear. I don't want to buy both and have the car become to rigid. Sway bars will help with the rolling, but I'm wondering if the strut braces will do that along with firming up the top half of the car. Originally I was going to just swap in coil overs, but I'm not going to do that now. Figured I'll go with the cheaper option, which may very well provide the solution I'm looking for. Any insight into this guys?
:yeahthat:

I don't know man, I think that thought process there is kind of backwards. If there's anywhere to start, i'd say it would be in the area of the springs/struts/coilovers. I know the most significant improvement i noticed on my last car is when i installed a new coilover set. Instead of coilovers, have you looked into springs?

The sway bars could arguably be a good bet as well (just not IMO), but from my experience the sways tie in directly and work hand in hand with the type of coilover or spring suspension you get. It's one of my points of research right now, matching a set of bars with the suspension I plan on getting. Don't even waste your money on a strut bar. You won't notice that mutch as compared with what you would with the other two.

If you're dead set on staying cheap (wait, where are you deployed to again? Oh yeah - bookooo per diem) then a rear sway bar would help, but man, the stock suspension doesn't handle anything near what the potential of the cars have. I think if you get the sway bar, the weaknesses of the stock set up may become more apparent. Hey, to each his own though. Just because i don't like the stock suspension doesn't mean you don't either... I'd research it plenty. There's alot about it on this forum, and alot of different opinions. Come on man, I KNOW you have the time. :-P

08 NBP Legacy GT BNR16G E85

13 WRB WRX. TBE & Tune

07 FXT Sports. Stock :lol:

I can see what your saying, I do have problems with the stock suspension. Like you said it holds back the car quite a bit. I looked more into the strut bars, it is pretty useless now a days since they've upgraded the top end quite a bit since '06. What I'm trying to do is increase the stability and sharpness of the car in its cornering and reduce the roll. Reason I'm only going with a front and rear sway bar is for that reason. If I was going to auto-cross, race, push it real hard then I'd go for a suspension swap right off the bat. That stuff won't happen for awhile though. Not to say I won't push the limits every now and then ;). From what I've researched, this setup will help me achieve my goal. In fact a lot of people have seen vast improvements. True a new suspension would increase the ride significantly, but I can live with the pogo stick, etc. Now I just gotta find out the size (diameter/circumference) of the bars I want. Stock bars are 19mm front and 16mm rear. I think I might go with 22mm front and 19mm rear. You were right Steve, I do have a lot of time on my hands lol!

Note: I could be wrong on the stock OEM sway bar size. Looking around to confirm.

Researching on this board can get annoying. You find one thing, think you're good, then find a whole other set of people who think otherwise to the subject you were searching. Especially when some of the people here, when talking about their stock suspension, don't really specify they have the Spec B, which we all know has the upgraded tophats and springs as compared to our soft GT suspension.

I think, no, I know the turn in and the ability to get the rear end to step out more will be alot better with an upgraded sway bar (plus endlinks - make sure you get those too), but alot of the the sharpness and in regards to fixing the roll and stabiltiy has alot more to do with the strut/spring/coilover set up. You don't have to push it real hard to find that out. My argument would be when you have to make an evasive maneuver during daily driving conditions. I've had to a few times with how these okies drive, lol (no offense fuse, D-wagon). In those situations, i've been very displeased with the stock suspension.

A suspension swap doesn't require drastic changes. By word of other LGT.com members and my research (suspension was the main thing i researched during my last deployment as well, lol), there are setups that are far better than stock that have minimial sacrifices in ride quality/harshness that you don't have to sacrifice an arm and a leg for.

Again though, that's just my opinion. Everyone drives differently. To me, i believe the differences are probably more apparent when comparing the manual vs the auto. I know you probably have your mind made up Rich, but i just don't want you to get something and not be pleased with the results and felt like you wasted your money. As you said, you can live with the pogo stick, and despite my words, i went power first which i'm sure is just going to make that pogo action more apparent i fear...

13 WRB WRX. TBE & Tune

On another note, check out my latest acquisition:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g94/GuttedLS/002.jpg

Looks like it's time for me to get serious. Not having a helmet was my last excuse, lol.

13 WRB WRX. TBE & Tune

Researching on this board can get annoying. You find one thing, think you're good, then find a whole other set of people who think otherwise to the subject you were searching. Especially when some of the people here, when talking about their stock suspension, don't really specify they have the Spec B, which we all know has the upgraded tophats and springs as compared to our soft GT suspension.

Yeah searching this forum can be maddening. I had to go outside of it to find out a bunch of stuff. It's nice to see all those opinions though, you can make your own kinda hybrid version of things.

I think, no, I know the turn in and the ability to get the rear end to step out more will be alot better with an upgraded sway bar (plus endlinks - make sure you get those too), but alot of the the sharpness and in regards to fixing the roll and stabiltiy has alot more to do with the strut/spring/coilover set up. You don't have to push it real hard to find that out. My argument would be when you have to make an evasive maneuver during daily driving conditions. I've had to a few times with how these okies drive, lol (no offense fuse, D-wagon). In those situations, i've been very displeased with the stock suspension.

I’m not trying to say that I like the stock suspension….it blows. It’s underdampened/soft/ill-conceived. Should never have been on a car like this. Absolutely correct that you don’t have to push the car very hard until the suspension shows it’s true style. I’m not saying that the F/RSB will be the cure-all, but it is a step in the right direction. It’ll be awhile before I start tearing out the crappy suspenion. Your right, Okies suck at driving……no offense to our Okie friends here.

A suspension swap doesn't require drastic changes. By word of other LGT.com members and my research (suspension was the main thing i researched during my last deployment as well, lol), there are setups that are far better than stock that have minimial sacrifices in ride quality/harshness that you don't have to sacrifice an arm and a leg for.

Compared to what struts/springs/coilovers cost, I think a F/RSB is the cheapo and more logical (to me at least) step to take before just taking out the suspension…even if it is crappy.

Again though, that's just my opinion. Everyone drives differently. To me, i believe the differences are probably more apparent when comparing the manual vs the auto. I know you probably have your mind made up Rich, but i just don't want you to get something and not be pleased with the results and felt like you wasted your money. As you said, you can live with the pogo stick, and despite my words, i went power first which i'm sure is just going to make that pogo action more apparent i fear...

Hey don’t go putting us 5EAT guys down, we can roll with the best! I value your opinion buddy, I’d be saying the same stuff you’re saying if I thought something you were doing wasn’t the right way. I think you’ll be surprised though as to how much the car is improved. True the pogo stick will be there, I did say I can live with it…..but only for so long. That pogo stick motion will really show its head when you up your power. I know once I start putting the power upgrades I have planned for the car, I’ll finally get sick of the suspension and tear it to shreds, but hey at least I won’t have to replace the F/RSBs! Who knows, you might be playing catch up one day…at least in the corners.

Hahaha... most excellent Rich. This is a conversation i've enjoyed. I'm not trying to put down the 5EAT. In honesty, an auto would beat be in a straight line anyday. I can't shift fliudly like the auto can. That's where i derived my opinion from too, as my driving style is different, and depending on how long i take between shifts, the rebound and compression of the suspesnion may be a little more noticeable too be because of that, my driving style. I see the validity in what you're saying too, as i'm limited by my pocket book as well, and i agree, any little bit can be a step in the right direction. I look forward to seeing what the outcome is to and what your thoughts are of the setup you're currently planning. Lol, depending on how many more deployements you get like the one you're on now, i have no doubt i'll be playing catch up. We'll have to bring em to the auto-x Rich. Like i said above, i've got no more excuses now.

13 WRB WRX. TBE & Tune

sorry I've been away from here fellas. I have missed quite a bit from what I read, almost took me an hour to catch up. haha.

Rich, I have to agree with what's been said from steve here (if my opinion matters). Both are good starts when put on individually but when used together, springs and sways, then you really see a difference. One thing about our cars that we often forget is that it was made to be a more family sedan, even with a turbo so we can't expect it to perform like a Porsche through turns but we can do a little to keep up. Just remember sways use your tires more so keep the rubber fresh.

Steve, keep wearing your helmet to get groceries...you might be the next Stig. hahahaha. We need to get together and get your setup rolling for the auto-x!

Hahaha... most excellent Rich. This is a conversation i've enjoyed. I'm not trying to put down the 5EAT. In honesty, an auto would beat be in a straight line anyday. I can't shift fliudly like the auto can. That's where i derived my opinion from too, as my driving style is different, and depending on how long i take between shifts, the rebound and compression of the suspesnion may be a little more noticeable too be because of that, my driving style. I see the validity in what you're saying too, as i'm limited by my pocket book as well, and i agree, any little bit can be a step in the right direction. I look forward to seeing what the outcome is to and what your thoughts are of the setup you're currently planning. Lol, depending on how many more deployements you get like the one you're on now, i have no doubt i'll be playing catch up. We'll have to bring em to the auto-x Rich. Like i said above, i've got no more excuses now.

Hopefully they keep coming lol. The bank account wouldn't mind it at all. The girl...well she might lol. Dude, your a much better driver than I am. I'm sure you'd still prob kick my ass lol.

sorry I've been away from here fellas. I have missed quite a bit from what I read, almost took me an hour to catch up. haha.

Rich, I have to agree with what's been said from steve here (if my opinion matters). Both are good starts when put on individually but when used together, springs and sways, then you really see a difference. One thing about our cars that we often forget is that it was made to be a more family sedan, even with a turbo so we can't expect it to perform like a Porsche through turns but we can do a little to keep up. Just remember sways use your tires more so keep the rubber fresh.

Steve, keep wearing your helmet to get groceries...you might be the next Stig. hahahaha. We need to get together and get your setup rolling for the auto-x!

Of course your opinion matter bro, I haven't met one of you guys who I wouldn't take advice from here yet. I agree with Steve also, I was just noting that this is one of multiple steps to achieve that Porsche performance lol. Tires and wheels are already in the works. I'm sold on the Rota replica LGT STI (TS) wheels...just stuck on which tires to get.

Tires and wheels are already in the works. I'm sold on the Rota replica LGT STI (TS) wheels...just stuck on which tires to get.

Awesome dude! Those are going to look good. Hmmm... what tires... Have you looked at tirerack.com? I'd look into either the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11's, Advan AD08's, or the Dunlop Direzza Z-1 Star Specs, which is what i'll be going with when i finally upgrade my wheel/tire combo (or just need new tires) since by the ratings it performs very similar, but yet it doesn't cost as much. Man... so many categories of tire to choose from, it's up to you what you're looking for. Especially in the different categories, between price and reviews (grip wet/dry, etc). Personally, when i have two sets of wheels, i will have the High performance on one, and winter tires on the other. Also, I won't skimp on the tires. To me, absolutely the most important part of the car, so I'm going with the extreme category, which the Z-1 in the size i'm looking for is in the price range of some of the cheaper tires in the lower categories.

More research for you my friend, and very addicting might I add. I get lost and absorbed in this stuff every time I search. So much to look into:

The "best" tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=EP

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=118

13 WRB WRX. TBE & Tune

Awesome dude! Those are going to look good. Hmmm... what tires... Have you looked at tirerack.com? I'd look into either the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11's, Advan AD08's, or the Dunlop Direzza Z-1 Star Specs, which is what i'll be going with when i finally upgrade my wheel/tire combo (or just need new tires) since by the ratings it performs very similar, but yet it doesn't cost as much. Man... so many categories of tire to choose from, it's up to you what you're looking for. Especially in the different categories, between price and reviews (grip wet/dry, etc). Personally, when i have two sets of wheels, i will have the High performance on one, and winter tires on the other. Also, I won't skimp on the tires. To me, absolutely the most important part of the car, so I'm going with the extreme category, which the Z-1 in the size i'm looking for is in the price range of some of the cheaper tires in the lower categories.

More research for you my friend, and very addicting might I add. I get lost and absorbed in this stuff every time I search. So much to look into:

The "best" tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=EP

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=118

Yeah I'm pretty stoked. I'm getting the gunmetal grey ones. Yeah I've been using tire rack for a couple of years now, they rock. I was looking at the RE-11s...I really want them, but I also found the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS....tire rack says they're better than the RE-11s and from what I've found around the web is that they're a great tire. They're also cheaper! I'm also stuck on whether to stay stock size or go 18/7 or 18/8. I'll probably go 18/7. Is there anything I'd need to do if I go that way? It should clear, I think we've talked about it before. I'm going to keep the stock wheels also and throw on some winter tires, god knows that'll be fun to drive around it. Absolutely correct, you never want to cheap out on tires...they are the only things gripping the road lol. I'll have to take a look at those Dunlops though, I've heard other people talk about them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp

the big thing was offset, get it right and it will look great. I can't remember what it needs to be at that size but I'll get back to you on that. hahaha.

As for the weekend, I'm out to Galveston, TX for a couple days. To the beach, after I put in the electric for the new hot tub and do some work on the Cuda car. This is one busy weekend.

Okay so I found the tire/wheel size I need. The wheel is going to be a 18/7.5” with either 48mm offset (Rota) or 45mm (offsets are kosher for the car) with a 5x100mm bolt pattern. Reason for two different offsets is that I found another wheel I like….its an actual Enkei and it’s cheap, but its just matte black….bah the decisions. Tire is going to be the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS pole positions (RE-11’s can wait lol) with a size of 225/40/18 (reason for this is that this will provide me with a good balance of daily driving and some spirited fun potential and its sectional width is perfect for wheels that are 7.5" and 8" wide).

Note: Apparently I had the wrong Rota replicas. The Rota Gravel wheels are the Enkei STI LGT replica wheels. They still cost $900! Is it hard to get a charcoal grey or gunmetal color on wheels? Is it powder coated? I might just get the cheaper Enkie's ($724 shipped) and get them painted/powder coated.

i would just say go to hibdons. the balancer we have is old as shit, and i dont trust the tire machine with anything other than a steel wheel. but i can talk to tiffany my old boss at hibdons and probably still get you the hookup. ill call her tomorrow and let you know.

Archived