LegacyGT.com

Boost Control Solenoid upgrade needed for e-tuning a LGT?

doccrowley

Somebody's gotta know the answer to this question.

Local WRX tuner in Salt lake City says that an upgraded boost control solenoid is required to road tune a LGT. He wants me to purchase a Chevy Typhoon boost control solenoid ($80) and a pigtail ($33) to install so the LGT will hold boost higher than 15PSI????

Is that accurate in your experience in tuning?

He says he has 100 e-tunes under his belt on wrx's and sti's and he wants $250 for 2 hour road tune.

What do you think of his recomendation for the boost control upgrade?

And, running a K&N panel filter, cobb catted DP, GS UP, Cobb pulley and stock TMIC, what is the max boost I should look to before worrying about exploding the stock TMIC??? (5EAT Tranny)

Really appreciate it!

Somebody's gotta know the answer to this question.

Local WRX tuner in Salt lake City says that an upgraded boost control solenoid is required to road tune a LGT. He wants me to purchase a Chevy Typhoon boost control solenoid ($80) and a pigtail ($33) to install so the LGT will hold boost higher than 15PSI????

Is that accurate in your experience in tuning?

He says he has 100 e-tunes under his belt on wrx's and sti's and he wants $250 for 2 hour road tune.

What do you think of his recomendation for the boost control upgrade?

And, running a K&N panel filter, cobb catted DP, GS UP, Cobb pulley and stock TMIC, what is the max boost I should look to before worrying about exploding the stock TMIC??? (5EAT Tranny)

Really appreciate it!

This sounds like a nightmare. Your tuner wants you to get a boost controller so you can turn the boost up (which can be turned up without it) instead of getting a TMIC/FMIC :confused:

I sure hope there is something going on you are not telling us. I hate to say it but I think you should order an Ebay VAG-COM cable for $20 shipped and contact Infamous1 and get a e-road tune before you start doing things that not only dont make sense, are worthless or harmful.

Is this a recommedation somewhat similar to the Grimmspeed 3 port boost controller to stabilize boost control for aggressive tuning?

Anybody know?

Or is he simply recommending a controller like listed above for precise control over boost values?

I have the same boost solenoid installed by P&L. That being said I was on his dyno and he was having boost control issues. Come to find out the guy who installed my turbo tossed the line with the pill and this was the fix that they had on hand. But as everyone has said, it is not needed. Infamous E-tune!

Or is he simply recommending a controller like listed above for precise control over boost values?

plain and simple, you do NOT need a boost control solenoid. If he says you need one, you need a new tuner. don't think about it any further than that. just move on and explore other options.

My guess is that this guy has done enough tunes with the GM BCS that he knows how to get it dialed in more quickly than he could with the OEM solenoid. It's definitely not a must-have but if it's his preference, then its his preference.

I was running around 18.5 psi using the stock solenoid when I was "stage 2."

I've heard of the stock TMIC popping at 17psi.

The Cobb stage 2 LGT tunes that I've seen run 16.5.

Coincidence? :)

I was running around 18.5 psi using the stock solenoid when I was "stage 2."

I've heard of the stock TMIC popping at 17psi.

The Cobb stage 2 LGT tunes that I've seen run 16.5.

Coincidence? :)

So what is the consensus on the abilities of the stock TMIC, then? What max boost pressures should I be aiming for considering I wasn't wanting to go TMIC until upgrading the turbo?

Stay around 17 psi on the OEM TMIC. 17.5 seems to pop them quick. 16.5 if you are really concerned. You could always JB weld the tabs.

on my stage 2 setup i was pushing 18.5psi w/ jbwelded entanks. i popped two intercoolers within 2 years though :lol:

Thanks boys for the updates and help, I really appreciate it!

• 6 months later...
"popped" tmic is when a plastic end-tank separates from the metal core and starts leaking air. You'll know it when it happens because your car will run like crap or not at all.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived